Photo

SCRRA King Track races 5/24 at BPR... a little motor testing...

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#76 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

It's not meaningless at all Tim.. Just trying to establish whether Mill fits into the same class of slot car racer he's so quick to dismiss or riddicule.

If he spends a lot of $$ on motors, an expensive controller, BB fronts instead of JK plastic, runs all Pro built chassis then to me he most certainly fits into the "Obsessed Racer" that has to win at all costs . All the BPR race reports I read he's on the podium for most if not all of them.

So if Mill was just in it for the "fun of racing" (which we all are , as slot racing is just AMAZING!) he'd race his own cars, use the same motor all the time and use a Parma Turbo.

#77 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

It's not meaningless at all Tim.. Just trying to establish whether Mill fits into the same class of slot car racer he's so quick to dismiss or riddicule.

If he spends a lot of $$ on motors, an expensive controller, BB fronts instead of JK plastic, runs all Pro built chassis then to me he most certainly fits into the "Obsessed Racer" that has to win at all costs . All the BPR race reports I read he's on the podium for most if not all of them.

So if Mill was just in it for the "fun of racing" (which we all are , as slot racing is just AMAZING!) he'd race his own cars, use the same motor all the time and use a Parma Turbo.

And he'd wear a blindfold and have his left hand tied behind his back.

YEAH RIGHT!!!

:(  :(

#78 John Miller

John Miller

This space for rent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Another disturbing factor in the PD story is a possibility that stock of some components is dwindling, and the prospects for replacement are chancy. If guys're hoarding their monsters and/or unloading their excess inventory, it may just be to get out before a perceived looming crisis. (Just what Retro needs, a Puppy Dog Bubble to go up against Jeff Koons' Blow-Up Dog.)

Generally, Duffy provides us the straight poop.  Although, it appears this time he is piling on with the anti-Puppy Dog drama.  I can officially call bullshit on the quoted possibility that Proslot's components are dwindling. . .

Very sad indeed. . .

• Rick likes this

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

ProSlot.png

#79 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Yeah Paul it's a personal attack and has NOTHING to do with the motors. Noose--thanks for your input--- Mike has been jumping up and down on his soapbox about the RH motor soo long that it's become like the little boy who cried "wolf"!! What's to believe?  And there's been lot's of stuff about RH's and the PD motors as well--- SCRRA is looking at them--and I'm sure will come to their own informed independant decision. It's all good!!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#80 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Generally, Duffy provides us the straight poop.  Although, it appears this time he is piling on with the anti-Puppy Dog drama.  I can officially call bullshit on the quoted possibility that Proslot's components are dwindling. . .

Very sad indeed. . .

I'm guilty of the same rumormongering I've been criticizing. By attempting to speculate on some of the complications & crosscurrents surrounding the motor flap, I cited third-hand hearsay. Please note: I specified "possibility" because that's how it was told to me, I wasn't saying the sky was falling without backing it up with skychunks there.

Along with recusing myself in this discussion I withdraw my statement, and any inferences anybody within three timezones either way might draw from it.

I'm real interested, though, in how John got "bullshit" through the S'B filter! EDIT: (Wow, I can do it too! NOW the gloves come off...)

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#81 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Well "Bullshit" is a real product as well as a descriptive modifier!! So it's not getting pulled?  COOL!!! :) :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#82 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

OMIGOD! It's "South Park Redux"!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#83 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Why a Dux?

Why not a Puppy Dog or Bull?

Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#84 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Paul, to answer your questions

1.I probably have  25 to 30 motors for a dozen cars

2.I spent $100 on EBAY for a Difalco Controller, and I bought used a Ruddock controller originally for $75

3.I won the Western States Jail Door Race, using a 4 ohm original Parma Control, you can ask Mike Steube, because he was blown away that I ran such a retro controller to go with the Retro Jail Door Class, and I ran it because it had better brakes, and that control was my brothers.....

4.I run JK 8742pf fronts or 8745d3 fronts, I do not run ball bearing fronts on any cars , save one, because my friend, Dennis Samson , gave me a set for my birthday, and I put them on a Formula one car....

5.As for Chassis, I run mostly Chassis built by Bryan, Duran or Samson, even Ray Price and Van Peenan

So that debunks your win at all costs, because I race every time, rain or shine, and I am not an obsessed racer, because I like to scientifically test things out of curiousness and love to experiment...I will race whatever I have, I do not pack up my box, like some racers, if I do not think I can make the podium, and Paul, ask any racer at Buena Park, my pit is always open to help any racer , at any time

Now what any of that has to do with a Retro Hawk, you will have to let me in on, and I do not know any other racers that you needed this information from, but there it is!!!

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#85 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Mill's response is why I made a special effort to repair his Ruddock controller on Sat. I go to the major races at Buena park and offer my services to anyone running my controller. Most people need their controller cleaned but once in a while someone has a real problem. I usually take them to my shop and return them the following week.

Mill had a broken part in his controller so I took it to my shop and fixed so he could use it in the races if he needed. At the same time I cut a JK controller handle for Marco so he could use his controller with out worrying about the thing falling apart during the races.

Mill has always answered any questions I had about racing or the rules, it was the least I could do to take care of him.

plus he has a nice Corvette!

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#86 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

As I pointed out over the weekend, I can tell you that John Anderson stands behind Ruddock and DR controllers to the utmost, and he comes to the raceway to check on the racers and is quick to help with any controller questions or problems...  He repaired mine, and as I have often said, it is the only controller that I use on a Flat Track, and I can not say enough for John's Customer Service!  :dance3:

Mill Conroy

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

#87 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Noose--thanks for your input--- Mike has been jumping up and down on his soapbox about the RH motor soo long that it's become like the little boy who cried "wolf"!! What's to believe?

Tim,
My old landlord liked his rent on time and my new landlord also likes her rent on time.

I promote stuff,sell it,ship it and pay the rent.

In the process, usually guys like, say Eric Gehrken gets recognition for a job well done.

If I'm overtouting the Retro Hawk, my credibility will take a hit, and it will hurt me in the long run.

But so many different people are giving the Retro Hawk the thumbs up, how can you doubt that it's the real deal?

Jerry Johnson sure seems happy and Duran "won" both races, so he must not be real unhappy.

You act like we are all in on some elaborate "sting" to trick you into buying a $12.95 motor. Lol
  • Dave Reed and Samiam like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#88 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Sorry for the head up rear end moment Mill, & thank you for answering the questions in a clear concise and honest way.

Great deal on the eBay controller purchase and superb Victory with the standard controller. .

If I ever get to BPR would definitely like for you to show me around the track :good:

#89 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Sorry for the head up rear end moment Mill, & thank you for answering the questions in a clear concise and honest way.

Great deal on the eBay controller purchase and superb Victory with the standard controller. .

If I ever get to BPR would definitely like for you to show me around the track :good:

Thanks for the courteous reply, Paul  :)

#90 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Paul, would be more than happy to help show you around anytime.... Despite what people may think here on the blog, in person I try to be as helpful to the SCRRA as possible, and I believe if you ask Matt Bruce, Mike Illes, Wes Pikunis, Jay Kisling, Haruki, Tebu, or Kamo they will all tell you that I freely share anything I have got with the out of town racers, I stick up for them at the raceway if any incident occurs, ask Kisling how I went to bat for him to make the move up two years ago, and Matt this year with the tech table,,  everyone may think that I am over opinionated, and Mike Swiss thinks I am the World's Biggest *****, but when it comes to the raceway and fellow racers , and volunteering, I am sure you will see that I more than do my part.

Also, I am in no way on the board of any organization, the opinions I express are my own, I do not own a RACEWAY, nor am I tied in to any manufacturer, nor am I a "Sponsored" racer

Mill Conroy

#91 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

and Mike Swiss thinks I am the World's Biggest *****, but when it comes to the raceway and fellow racers , and volunteering, I am sure you will see that I more than do my part

Not even close on the first part of the quote.... and no one I know disputes your enthusiasm and being a great asset to the racing at BP.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#92 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Just sayin.......

Attached Images

• CHIHUAHUA.jpg

• Tim Neja and bbr like this

Jerry Johnson

#93 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Jerry, that is two days old from facebook, come on

Mill Conroy

#94 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

Gee, sorry

Jerry Johnson

#95 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Apparently you didn't get past it being just another FB funny and how well it applies here.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Jerry Johnson

#96 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

I was joking!

Mill Conroy

#97 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hope Jerry that you don't end up having to race in Vegas

Mill Conroy

#98 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Reading this has me a little confused. If you are looking for more speed, there is many options but if you are merely looking for a bigger bang for your buck with more reliability, from a $13 motor then hands down the PSFK is your motor. Bar none. Screwed, glued and tattooed, plus bent over, tamperproof and can even be rebrushed if it makes it thru the first pair. What could be better?..................

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#99 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

Reading this has me a little confused. If you are looking for more speed, there is many options but if you are merely looking for a bigger bang for your buck with more reliability, from a $13 motor then hands down the PSFK is your motor. Bar none. Screwed, glued and tattooed, plus bent over, tamperproof and can even be rebrushed if it makes it thru the first pair. What could be better?..................

I couldn't agree more. But to go from the bottom of the FK barrel to the top in one move? OMG! That's T-O-O-O- S-C-A-R-Y!! Removable brushes! OMG! Feel the panic setting in already! LOL!

Jerry Johnson

#100 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Rick

Small Steps 

jason

My goodness only having to spend 70 bucks on motors for the year as Jerry said OMG ;)

I myself am not looking for more speed its about Lasting for me so if these are so fast lets fix the Pinon at 8 or 9 and go from there but to get 5 or 6+ races from one would be awesome.

• bbr likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop