Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

The "Old" Don  (Ray Duran) congratulating the "New" Don Chris Radisich

OldDon-NewDon.jpg

The "Underboss" Matt Bruce providing advice to the new Don on where he stands.

Underboss-NewDon.jpg

The Underboss (Matt), the Don (Chris) and the Consigliere ( Ed Sohl)

Underboss-Don-Lawyer.jpg

• kvanpelt likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#27 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Great racers all...

• kvanpelt likes this
"Whatever..."

#28 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

What a great event! Thank you noose for the hard work you do putting this thing together

Preston, the stock car was fantastic, a little more ponys and we would of had them, i keep telling everyone that if you can put together 8
Good heats you would be tuff to beat. Just need to focus on driving smooth compared to when you have to push the car, you will get it, and when that day comes it wont leave you

Haruki, ty for the can am chassis from kamo san,
Car was excellent and look forward to seeing you soon

Edsel, where to start, from when ive started racing to date, you have been nothing but a father figure an great friend to me, the F1 car was unbelievable! Im glad i got you the win with your chassis, theres no one else that deserves it more than you, througout the years we have had a lot of good times and i hope it continues, love you bro

Brian Xpro, some of you might think of him as the new guy, but to me, he had taught me soooo much about slot cars, from setting up cars to driving, this guy is one of the best and its only a matter of time before he is at the top, myself erkle and brian would sit for countless hours and try stuff and he would always come out with the best ideas, thanks also for pitting me in can am and f1, you were a huge part of the sucsess

Thanks to everyone who came, it was great to see old faces and some new, i look forward to seeing everyone soon

Chubby

Chubby,
You raced so well!!

Kamo-san & I am so happy.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Haruki :)

RP5 NY Chubby with Kamo-DIO.jpg

• Brian Russo and Brian Cochrane like this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#29 Matt Bruce

Matt Bruce

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Every year this race lives up to its unique billing. Always fun, always a challenge, an event which showcases the best drivers in the Northeast. Thanks Noose for the hard work. Thanks to Doug Bauer and the Port Jeff crew for such an outstanding facility to race at. Easily one of the best King tracks in the world with great power. Congrats to my man Chris for his Donship and just outstanding driving all weekend and win in GT coupe. Chubby what can I say, you prove time after time that you can drive anything. Congrats on a fantastic win in F1. Gary Jr grabbed the stockcar race by the throat and drove away. Great win. And Timmy made quick work of getting on the list with a super drive in coupe. Tho there were only a few of us, it was a great win for John in Retro Pro to kick the weekend off. Thanks to Ed and the entire Sohl family for having us all over for some food and bench racing. Ed is one of reasons I still race slot cars, one of the best. Biggest thanks go to Greg Van Peenen. Thanks for coming out and bringing Bob and Mike with you. I have so much fun driving your creations. Thanks for all your hard work and help. You deserve all the success. Always great to see Haruki, and meet new guys like James Grandi and John Weaver. Thanks Everyone for coming and supporting Port Jeff and Retropalooza.

Matt
  • Rick, Joe Mig, usadar and 1 other like this

#30 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

This was the first really big race event I've been to of any kind. I've never been to a retro east race or any other premier event, or any sort of a nationals-type race, etc. It was a whole new experience for me, but it was absolutely a great time. It was great to be racing with a few familiar faces ( Chris Radisich, Jimmy Williams, Ray Duran, Rich Goucher, Collin Martin, Brian Ambrose, Weaver, Eric Gehrken and Gary Clinton Sr/Jr ), as well as meeting all of the people there. Meeting Noose, Matt Bruce, GVP, Ed, Haruki, Preston, Timmy, Tom King, etc...everyone was fantastic. Kind, courteous, helpful, and full of great information and best of all a lot of laughs. The racing was fantastic with plenty of give and take. Doug and everyone involved with the raceway, you guys have a fantastic facility to race at. The tracks were immaculate, the power never faltering, the place is clean, the parts wall is extremely well stocked, and the people very friendly and easy going. It is a place I look forward to racing at again one day. I also have to thank Mike Swiss, whose motor brackets and guide tongues, reinforcements, nose pieces etc I used to build my cars with. As well as Eric Gehrken and Gary Clinton Jr, who always answered my questions about building and setting up my cars for this race.

I learned more in this one race weekend than I have at any other point during my relatively brief involvement with retro racing. I have much to improve both with my chassis building and setup, as well as my own driving technique. For example anyone that saw me Friday and Saturday night would have seen my face hovering over a chassis jig, building an F1 chassis. Had I taken the time to properly brace the motor bracket instead of just running one simple brace on the outside, I would have been able to race that car. A lesson learned, at least in practice and not in the race! I look forward to the next time I get to race with all of you, and I will at the very least be planning a trip to the fall brawl later this year. Thanks to everyone for making this an amazing experience
  • usadar likes this
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

#31 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

Thank you, Chubby, for your kind words about me.

• usadar likes this

#32 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Report is being done. Damn work getting the way.  LOL

Anyway a correction has been made to post #1 on the track records set during the race. In Stock Car the Fast Race Lap was actually done by Jimmy the Kid Williiams!

Fast Race Lap - 4.497 Jimmy Williams Jr.
  • George Blaha likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#33 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Mozletov to lil Jimmy for the fast lap! Those HVR chassis rule.

George

#34 blkdout76

blkdout76

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

My TQ for stock car was 4.580 I thought, not 4.508? Probably just hit the wrong numbers. Looking forward to the report.
Gary Clinton Jr

#35 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I made the long drive out from Detroit for RetroPalooza and it was well worth it. The Retro East racers are fast, friendly, and truly made me feel welcome. The race was extremely well run and the raceway clean and well stocked.

I got to meet many of the racers in person that I have seen on Slotblog, putting a face to the names. Learned a lot about FK motors which hopefully will help my program along for future events.

Congrats to the organizers, racers, and winners.

Raisin
  • MSwiss, Half Fast, usadar and 2 others like this
Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#36 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

My TQ for stock car was 4.580 I thought, not 4.508? Probably just hit the wrong numbers. Looking forward to the report.

Correct and I fixed post # 1.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#37 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Well finally open my slot box again Saturday. Was cleaning up the cars from the RP and getting ready to race locally yesterday. I was cleaning the car Chris had he marathon run in Can- Am with. Found the following. Looks like what caused his problem in the A-main.

Found the left side rear ball bearing was burnt black. and the rear axle was jammed. I am guessing that the bearing locked and sent sent the car into the bridge. The impact with the bridge bent things at the rear of the car and jammed the axle. It was all down hill from there. Sorry Chris, The bearings I use are the best from a major slot car supplier. I guess I will have to start using GRW bearings again.

Retro East puts on a great race. The track, the raceway and staff, and the racers were all top notch. Well worth the trip.

Thanks to Matt, Chris, Preston and any who used GVP cars or Kits.

Looking forward to the Flat Track Nats and the Fall Brawl.

Greg VanPeenen      

Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

#38 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Unless you were using a rear axle that was a tight press fit into the bearing and were relying on the balls rotating for the axle to rotate, I think the bearing got blackened by the car running almost 8 heats with the misaligned rear end from the hit.

IOW, it's highly unlikely that the bearing locked up and "sent the car into the wall".

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#39 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

I was using Tight fit ball bearings on the same Mfg axle. Maybe it was the almost 2000 laps run before the A- Main that had something to do with it LOL. I don't think we will ever know for sure.

Chris said the car was money from the ninety to the lead on for almost 2000 laps then just let go with no warning at all. I won the Coupe FK B main with the same car. It was fool proof as my B main win shows. :)  

GVP   

Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

#40 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Who knows what happened but it wasn't the BB grabbing the axle, pitching the car out,hitting the wall,"releasing" the axle from the impact,where the car can still finish the race.

I always marshaled the 90 at M/A and I saw cars hit the wall on Black pretty regularly.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#41 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

From what I remember Chis said the tires were changed on that last move up and they were a bit looser and the took the 90 the same as he had been and it just didn't have the same bite thus the rear went right into the wall.
  • MSwiss likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#42 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Mike I never said the burnt bearing was free now did I. I also had to change the axle. The axle was spinning in the bearing race as that spot on the axle was blue. Some thing got real warm. Just one of those strange slot racing things. I have never seen a axle bearing do that before on a slot car. You never know when something hits so hard you have to clean the wood out of the gears somethings going to give. :)

It could have been a tire thing like Noose said.  Maybe the tires were just cold only a few laps into the A. I will have to look. I took the tires that were on it at the race off when I cleaned it up. Have to check and see if they durometer the same. 

No matter all water under the bridge now. All the other cars had the same bearings, some front and rear, with no Issues and Matt won and set a new lap record with them. So all is good.

GVP

GVP

Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop