• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Thanks, Tex. If ever you make out towards the Pacific Northwest you're certainly welcome here in Eugene, OR. Many loaner cars, hand controls.

Main event starting line up. Left to right: Todd's 350Z, yellow lane; Leo's 2005 Ford GT, blue, Mike's 2005 Ford GT, White: and Cully's 458 Ferrari, Red lane. The 2 Ford GT's are AMT 1/25th scale; 350Z and Ferrari 458's are 1/24th.

Main%20start%20line%20up_zpswmrw5wti.jpg

Gosh, I almost had the main event sewed up and going for the overall win when, oops, lap 47 of the 50 lap main, I bobbled the tight turn, yellow lane,at the Carousel corner. Can be a tough turn because one blasts down the 12 foot long driver straight into a 9 degree sweeping left turn and short straight then into the very tight Carousel corner. For those who may have raced 1:1 sports cars sort of like 5th or 6th gear full through the banked left sweeper, then hard braking, downshifting to second.  I popped out of the yellow lane, was put instantly back with excellent, quick marshalling, but with the three other guys right on my tail, I couldn't regain my lead. Cars are pretty competative with almost same performance, so no way was I going to catch them in three laps. Oh, well, there's, "always next week!"

Fujimi body on a Hanna chassis. Pro-Slot 2002 sealed motor which is our substitute for the now out of production Parma Death Star. Slixx and other decals to make a SCCA GT-2 class Nissan 350Z model.

2010%20Nissan%20350Z_zpshxzbllmv.jpg

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#102 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

April 29, 2015 - "Big" (modern) NASCAR, 1980 to present, although there have been no NASCAR models produced since the early 2000s or so.  I have heard this was due to exorbitant licensing fees... I don't understand why NASCAR would want to kill off a source of free advertising.  But that is a topic for another discussion... not here.

Eleven racers came to play.  Deke was absent with a recurrence of a nasty respiratory bug, but Bob Shafer brought two buddies with him from "up north", Stu and Scott.  And James (that's me) showed up from Roseburg.  I had the pleasure of pitting next to Stu, who I knew from our mutual participation in OSCAR races at STR in Roseburg and All American Raceway, in Cottage Grove.  Stu finished ahead of me the last couple of times we competed in Cottage Grove, so I was looking forward to racing against him here.  (Cue the evil laugh: Heh, heh, heeeeh)

This evening was supposed to be an evaluation of the Parma Super-16D, (the standard motor for the class), vs the ProSlot equivalent sealed super-16 motor.  However, of the four ProSlot test motors, one was assigned to Deke, who was MIA, and the one assigned to Tom was "bound up".  That left only two Proslots vs nine Parmas, which diminished the meaningfulness of the test results.  More about that later.

With eleven racers, we ran the "Win to Get in" format, which was made more interesting? challenging? exciting? by the participation of two new racers in the mix.  Don't get me wrong, Stu and Scott did a fine job for their first time on the track... (better than I did on my first visit to Pelican Park).  It is just that new racers make mistakes.  They crash, slow down, or kick out the tail unexpectedly, which adds an element of surprise, (danger, challenge) to the task of the "regulars".  And that is part of what makes Pelican Park's format the best club racing format in the world.  A bad heat here isn't a big deal.

A bad heat can cost you several positions in the final standings of a standard "total laps run" race, but at Pelican, at least in the preliminary heats, it is no big deal.  You get another chance.  In fact, it took me three heats to win a spot in the "top eight" semi-main.  I was happy with that.  More racing for me.  All good.

Eventually, we get to the Consi:

Nascar 005.JPG

In the Consi, we have Basil's Red Baron Pizza mid-80s Thunderbird in the red lane.  Basil also drew the red lane in his "top eight" semi-main race, which helped keep him from  the Main.  In the white lane is Bob's blue mid-80s T-bird... a different year than Basil's car.  It doesn't have the pointy front bumper.

Nascar 006.JPG

Mike's Coors Light Monte Carlo is in the blue lane and Todd's blue #97 is in yellow.  I would like to thank Todd again for his graciousness, allowing me uncontested passes in our preliminary heat.  He claimed that he was just protecting himself from deslotting in a conflicted overtake, but I prefer to think that he recognized that his car was not up to speed and he chose to allow the faster racers to compete unhindered.  So thank you once again, Todd.  :D

Consi final result: Bob takes the win, followed by Todd, Mike, and Basil.  Basil demoted to Hooligan status....

The Hooligan

Nascar 010.JPG

Again, we see Basil's red/white T-Bird in the red lane.  Stu's Raybestos T-Bird is in the white lane.  Stu and Scott both got faster as they became familiar with the track over the course of the evening.  But they were competing against guys who have raced this track every week for decades.  Good luck with that. :)

Nascar 007.JPG

In the blue lane is Paul's Earnhardt Monte Carlo next to Scott's twin Earnhardt Monte Carlo, in yellow.  Beucoup Deja vu !!! 

Pardon me while I go off topic for a moment here.  These two cars, apparently from identical model kits, appeared to be of different size.  I believe this is because they were trimmed to different RULES.  Scott and Stu built there cars to OSCAR rules which specify minimum height from the bottom of the chassis to the roof, (measured 1/2" behind the windshield), of 1.875".  (1/25th bodies may be lower, but may not be trimmed).  Very straightforward... easily checked.  Pelican Park rules specify something about distance from the top of the wheel arches to the track, with different distances front and rear, and tire diameter affects the measurement, and different car models have different sized wheel wells, and, and, and... that's just messed up.  May I humbly suggest that with the next revision of the "Rules that are to be Followed", the OSCAR rule might be considered as an alternative.

Oh, and Basil won the Consi, followed by Paul, Stu, and Scott.

The Main Event

Nascar 014.JPG

Leo's gray Lowe's Monte Carlo drew the red lane.  I must confess that I felt relieved when Leo drew red.  He had been giving me difficulties in the earlier heats when he had advantageous lanes.  In red, he should be handicapped and less trouble.

Nascar 012.JPG

In the white lane is Cully's black '85 Monte Carlo.  Strangely, Cully is the only guy running a mid-80s Monte.  They are low and wide.  Cully's is crazy-fast.  I think that they might be a bit fragile, but Cully has been running this one for a long time.  I have an '85 Monte Skoal Bandit car all painted... it just needs the glass and interior... hmmm.

Nascar 015.JPG

Tom's Valvoline Monte Carlo is in the blue lane.  Tom was running his second choice car, since his #1 pick was out with a bound-up ProSlot motor.  Still, his #2 was a good running Hanna chassis car.   He only squeaked into the top eight with a win in the "last chance" preliminary heat.  Hey, somebody has to do it.

Nascar 016.JPG

In the yellow lane is James' blue Hot Wheels Pontiac.  It took James three tries to make the make the top eight, but now he had the lane of choice.  Would it be enough to overcome Cully's speed and skill?  And let's not rule out Tom and Leo, both main event threats.

The Main:

When the power came on, Cully immediately took the lead.  James (that's me) followed in second.  Tom and Leo were somewhere behind.  No way, could I keep up with Cully.  He stretched out his lead.  Soon I was racing all alone, focused on my own car, all the others beyond my peripheral vision.  I heard some crashing and complaining among the other drivers and passed through some wreckage without identifying the cars.  Am I now leading?  Maybe... not sure... focus... drive.  Word from the podium... yes!!! yellow lane leads.

More crashing, more wreckage, I slip through... whose car was that?  Focus... drive.  Whoa... there's Cully's car behind me... he's gaining fast.  Nothing I can do about it.  He is by me in a flash, but the word from the podium, "Yellow still leads".  Can that be?  I was a lap up?  No matter, Cully crashes again, I pass and cruise on to win on a lap of my own.

So what happened?  Cully had outclassed the field.  He was passing the backmarkers, Leo and/or Tom and got tangled-up and wrecked.  NASCAR class cars are among the widest raced at Pelican, and the lane spacing is a wee bit tight.  Anyway, I somehow stayed out of trouble while Cully dug a himself deeper hole playing "catch-up".

The victory doesn't always go to the fastest car or the best driver.  Final: James 1st, Cully 2nd, Leo 3rd, Tom 4th.

The results of the ProSlot vs Parma Super-Showdown?  The two ProSlots finished 3rd in the Main and 2nd in the Consi.  The sample size was inadequate, but the results suggest no significant advantage... WHICH IS A GOOD THING, if you want a comparable motor to replace the Parma super when it becomes unavailable.

Coming up... glamour shots of the winning car AND action shots from Todd

You can't always get what you want...

#103 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:07 AM

The winning NASCAR

Nascar 021.JPG

I can take no credit (or blame) for this car.  It was part of a collection that I bought from a local racer when he left slots to focus on his 1:1 racing program... which if I recall correctly was called "Mini-Stock".  I believe he had a Pinto race car (!?)

Nascar 027.JPG

I added this interior the afternoon before the race.  Pelican Park rules require a solid driver head & shoulders.  I used a vacu-formed interior with the driver head cut away.  A solid driver's head (with most of his body cut away) is glued in from below.  I confess to a quick-and-dirty Sharpy paint job.

Nascar 031.JPG

The guy that painted this body was a professional automotive painter.  The clear-coat in this thing is deep and tough and probably a little heavy.

Nascar 034.JPG

This is a genuine Hanna chassis.  Bob Hanna made literally hundreds of chassis and sold them for very little over his materials cost... primarily to support the sport.  Years later, they are still the "Gold Standard" hardbody chassis against which all others are measured... at least here in the Northwest.

Nascar 033.jpg

Yep, that's "number one".  When I first acquired this chassis, I offered to give it back to Bob in exchange for a less "historically significant" chassis, but he did not seem to care.  "Use it, race it".  And so I have.  To make it work (for me), I had to alter it slightly and add guider stops (which are removable).  But I felt kinda like I was making changes to the Wright Brothers plane to make it a more competitive pylon racer.

Nascar 036.JPG

The chassis is made from 3/32" brass plate.  As if it wasn't heavy enough, it has an extra bit of lead to help it hug the corners.  Seriously?  With the body, ready to race it weighs 10.2 oz.  That's 288 grams for the metrically inclined.

#104 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:38 AM

Start of the Big NASCAR Main, left to right:  Leo, Red lane; Cully, White; Tom, Blue; James, (author, author!)

in Yellow lane. Dave, wearing his fedora (to go with his 1:1 '51 Plymouth he drove to PPS) is the start-finish

marshall displaying an enthusiastic send off.

main%20start_zpsbl9pqh9m.jpg

Half way into Pit straight, 1st lap: Cully jumps into lead, for a while; James' "Hot Wheels" Pontiac showing 

its speed, all hung out on the outside, yellow lane.

Main%201st%20half%201st%20lap_zpsitudsaj

More NASCAR action in a preliminary heat race: Stu, red lane; James, white; Cully; blue and Leo, yellow,

exiting the Union-76 turn.

NASCAR%20action%20Union%2076%20turn_zpsy

Break in the action-munching down on hot dogs aka Speedway steaks- between the prelims and races for

the Consi, Hooligan and the Main. Left to right:Charlie, Cully at the podium, Basil behind Dave, Scott from

Salem, and Mike.

Break%20between%20prelims%20and%20main%2

"Drone" shot. Pre-race practice, James, Basail, Tom and Mike. All the white boxes below the pit building

contain dozens and dozens of built 1/24 models that are appropriately displayed in the pits to match the

actual racing cars from each of the thirteen classes, one of which we race on a partiular Wednesday evening.

Drone%20shot%20pre%20race%20practice_zps

My (Todd's) stuff. My purple #97 Monte Carlo with the new Pro-Slot 2004 wasn't as fast as I'd hoped, though

I, too, was using the same chassis, a genuine Hanna, as James'. Maybe I should have raced the blue #40...

or the black #49.... or the #48, all Hanna chassis, all powered by Parma S16D's. Never know how it's

going to wind up racing at PPS!

Todds%20stuff_zpsfoaqabvn.jpg

Todd Messinger

#105 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

Where could one pick up a "Scholar" chassis>?  And is it possible to get a Hanna??  :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#106 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hello Tim,

Professor Motor sells variants of Scholer chassis for both 1/24th and 1/32nd. They're different than ones

used here in Oregon. My Scholer was modified by Jack who raced at Spare Time Raceway, Roseburg,

for my 2014 Lola B10/60, LMP1 class Le Mans car.

2011LolaB09-60scholerchassis.jpg

2011LolaB09-60SaidHeads.jpg

The Hanna chassis production had an all too brief production run; none made for almost 10 years now.

For those who may wish to duplicate them here's a photo of one not yet assembled.....

hannachassisparts.jpg

.....and one assembled

hannachassisbuilt.jpg

Todd Messinger

#107 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

May 6, 2015 - "Big" Clubman: 1950s & '60s production based sportscars.

Ten racers, Basil's way.

The Consi:

Clubman 018.JPG

In the red lane, Todd's Cobra is a Resilient Resin "289", although it has big flares like a 427... Todd could explain, if it mattered, (it doesn't).  In the blue lane is Basil's black... Maserati?  also resin.

Clubman 019.JPG

In Blue is Tom's Cobra, a fraternal twin to Todd's.  And in yellow is Mike's 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO.  It's his "Lights" car and is narrower and taller than the competition here.

Clubman 021.JPG

An aerial shot of the field.  Handsome cars, particularly the Cobras, with their stripes and side-pipes.

Clubman 020.JPG

Todd ran away with the race, Basil in 2nd was the trailer b*tch.  Tom and Mike finished 3rd & 4th and dropped down to fill out the field in the Hooligan. 

Clubman 003.JPG

Todd's Consi winning Cobra, resplendent in shimmering metallic blue.  In the preliminary heats, Todd was the second highest qualifier, tied with Cully.   A three-way crash in the top-8 Semi-Main put him 3rd in that race, denying him a spot in the Main Event.  In the Consi race, even from the red lane, he won easily.

Clubman 012.JPG

Somehow, over the course of the evening, I never raced against Basil's Maserati (I'm guessing here... could be a De Tomasto for all I know).  Basil finished 5th in the preliminaries and second in the Consi.  He caught some flack for that protruding front axle... a Ben-Hur chariot-hub spoke ripper.

The Hooligan

Clubman 022.JPG

Paul's C1 Corvette occupies the red lane.  That's Tom's Cobra again, this time in the white lane.

Clubman 024.JPG

Mike drew the blue lane this time, and Deke got the yellow lane.

Clubman 025.JPG

Hooligan final: Tom 1st, Mike 2nd, Deke 3rd, and Paul 4th.

Clubman 019b.JPG

I forgot to get an individual shot of Tom's Hooligan winning Cobra, so here is a cropped enlargement from a group photo.  Tom was in a 3-way tie in the preliminary points standings with Deke and Bob.  This necessitated a 25 lap run-off heat.  Tom and Bob went to the top eight... Deke didn't.  Tom wound up in the Hooligan eventually and finished 1st.

Clubman 006.JPG

Mike finished 2nd in the Hoolie with his Clubman Lights Ferrari.

Clubman 015.JPG

Deke spent the evening before the race working on his new 1948 Ford "Coupe" Jalopy when he should have been prepping his Clubman C1 Corvette.  His next-to-last finish in the Hooligan is the net result, although the Jalopy looks good. :laugh2:

Clubman 016.JPG

Paul's C1 'Vette displayed moments of brilliance in the preliminaries, even putting a pass on Cully in one heat.  But in the Hooligan, from the red lane it had a rough time, finishing 4th.  This Corvette model is a 1962 C1, the last year of the C1, prior to the first C2 Sting Ray.  This was a 3-in-1 model kit built as a "Competition Racer" with the driver fairing, the competition windshield, and a "custom" front fascia.  Paul built it a L-O-N-G time ago, and now thinks he should have used the "stock" front end.

coming up... The Main Event

#108 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:37 AM

5/6/2015 - The Main Event

Clubman 027.JPG

From left to right: Leo, Bob, Cully, and James.  Funny story... when drawing for lanes Cully and Leo drew first and pulled  the best two lanes yellow and blue.  James deferred to Bob for the third pick.... Bob reached in, fumbled about for a moment and said, "What's the deal here?  There is only one chip left."  It was red.  Oops, only three chips were placed in the rattler... REDRAW.  This time, Leo gets stuck with RED, Bob draws white, Cully gets blue, and most importantly, the top qualifier from the prelims, James, gets the coveted yellow lane.  Perhaps that was not quite so funny for Leo and Cully.  :)

Clubman 029.JPG

I had not raced with Cully all evening.  I had one preliminary heat race with Leo, in which I finished first in the yellow lane and he was second in the red lane.  A preview of things to come?

Clubman 030.JPG

Leo's orange C1 'vette was fast, but he was stuck in red.

Clubman 031.JPG

Bob's black Mustang was bigger and taller than the Corvettes... this class favors roadsters.

Clubman 001.JPG

The winner: James' C3 Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corvette.  The body painted and decaled the day before.  Love acrylic paints. :D   I didn't get the headers and side pipes done in time for the race.  And I robbed the right-hand-drive interior out of my Clubman Lights car.

Clubman 008.JPG

Leo's C1 Corvette was second.  Leo stayed with James for the first dozen laps or so, but was losing ground.  From the red lane, he just couldn't maintain the pace set by James in the yellow lane.  It was a shame that the lane selection precluded what could have been a much closer race.

Clubman 004.JPG

Cully's good looking C1 just didn't have what it needed to challenge the leaders.  He finished 3rd.

Clubman 011.JPG

Bob's Mustang fastback finished 4th in the white lane.  I believe he was contemplating a new roadster body for next time.

Glamour Shots

C3 Clubman 013.JPG

C3 Corvettes look like a caricature of themselves... the styling is so over-the-top.

C3 Clubman 023.JPG

C3 Clubman 012.JPG

C3 Clubman 022.JPG

C3 Clubman 030.JPG

Same chassis seen before: yellow Mustang Dirt Devil, red C3 Corvette coupe, TT Ferrari, and with wide sidepans: C1 Vette, McLaren, Porsche 917, others...

• Tex likes this

#109 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

Mike, Deke, James from Roseburg, Bob from Salem

Drivers-%20Mike%20Deke%20James%20Bob_zps

My Shelby line up

My%20Shelby%2060s%20line%20up_zpsf9jjcyt

Lap counter, score sheet. Very low tech- no computer. Everything directly controlled by humans.

Lap%20counter%20score%20sheet_zpsjtlabvz

Todd Messinger

#110 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

'64 289 Cobra

64%20289%20Cobra_zpsndb7masd.jpg

• Tex likes this
Todd Messinger

#111 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

May 27, 2015 - Vintage Nascar.  Ten racers made the show; Deke was MIA, but Bob was down from Salem and James came up from Roseburg.  Dave turned up late, but got into the game with a borrowed controller.

Leo and James each came with new bodies for their racers, coincidentally, both were 1950 Olds Club Coupes.

Vintage Olds 002.JPG

James' car: Red & white #45

Vintage Olds 003.JPG

Leo's car: painted an attractive teal-blue the night before the race, ran unadorned.

Qualifying heats were run "Basil's way".  Todd was top qualifier with a near-sweep 11 points.  James was second with 10 and Cully was third with 9 points.  Sometimes qualifying scores are skewed by who you share the track with in your qualifying heats.  But it is generally a strong indicator of final finishing order.  The ultimate test, however is the final heat race.

The Consi

Vintage Olds 010.JPG

The field for the Consi.... Basil's red 1957 Chrysler 300 drew the red lane.  Basil was the 4th highest qualifier, but also drew the red lane for his semi-main.  That big old boat Chrysler doesn't like the red lane much, so here he is in the Consi... in the red lane... again... bummer.

Vintage Olds 005.JPG

In the white lane is Paul's 1957 Chevy hardtop.  Paul was running a new ProSlot FX2002 for the first time and had good power which aggravated traction issues.  He finished third in all his qualifiers... still sorting out the car.

Vintage Olds 009.JPG

Leo's new 1950 Olds Coupe drew the blue lane.  Leo was fast in the preliminaries, scoring two wins and finishing 5th in the standings.  He drew the red lane in the semi-main with Todd and Cully.  They went to the Main.... he didn't.

Vintage Olds 008.JPG

Mike's 1957 Chrysler drew the yellow lane.  Mike's car, like Basil's and Dave's, is a big, heavy boat.  It is relatively low and wide and I have seen it be fast "when the planets align" just right.  I think it's really cool and someday I may finish the one that I have sitting on a shelf at home... but I don't think that it is the ideal body for the class.  Mike also mentioned before the race that his needs new tires.

The race was a nail-biter, with multiple lead changes.... In fact, everyone led at some point, except for Basil, who struggled in the red lane.  When the final flag dropped, Leo took the win.  Mike was 2nd and was done for the night.  Paul and Basil were 3rd & 4th and join in the Hooligan race.

The Hooligan

Vintage Olds 016.JPG

In the red lane, we find Tom's 1955 Chevy 2-door post.  In the previous Vintage race, Tom finished 2nd in the Consi with this car.  This time he is in the Hooligan... in the red lane... too bad about that.

Vintage Olds 014.JPG

In the Consi, Basil's Chrysler ran in the red lane.  In the Hoolie, it drew white.  At least the white lane tape shows up better on his car.

Vintage Olds 013.JPG

Dave's 1958 Plymouth drew the blue lane.  Dave had a ragged performance in the qualifiers.  I know the loaner controllers played a part in that... he raced with at least two different controllers, looking for one that worked properly and suited him.  He was fast down the straights, but unpredictable in the corners, to the dismay of those in adjacent lanes.  Come on, Dave.  I know you still have it in ya.  I'm rooting for you.

Vintage Olds 012.JPG

Paul found himself in the yellow lane this time... perhaps for a better result?

Hooligan final: Basil 1st, Paul 2nd, then Dave and Tom.

The Main Event

Vintage Olds 021.JPG

Top qualifier, Todd drew the red lane for the Main Event.  His 1958 T-bird won the class last time out, but that was in the yellow lane.

Vintage Olds 019.JPG

Cully's 1948 Chevy is always fast and drew the white lane.  This shot reveals that it is the smallest car on the grid.

Vintage Olds 023.JPG

Bob's 1958 Impala drew the blue lane.  The 1/25th scale impala is slightly lower than Todd's 1/24 T-bird, but not as wide.  The 1948 Chevy and the Olds appear to be about the same height, but the Olds is wider in the rear and slightly narrower in the front.  The Olds lost a grill bar in an earlier wreck.  How is that even possible?

Vintage Olds 017.JPG

James was 2nd qualifier and drew the favored yellow lane.  Things were looking good for him, however...

In the opening lap, a crash in the donut took out James and gave Cully and Todd a half lap lead.  James was able to chase down and pass Todd in the red lane, and cut down Cully's lead.  But so it ended: Cully 1st, then James, Todd, and Bob.  Good racing guys !!!

There's always next week  :D

next up... glamour shots of my new Oldsmoble

#112 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

The 1950 Oldsmobile Club Coupe

Vintage Olds 026.JPG

Vintage Olds 031.JPG

Vintage Olds 033.JPG

Vintage Olds 035.JPG

Vintage Olds 039.JPG

#113 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,827 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Sweet rides, y'all!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#114 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

Thanks, Tex

#115 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

6/10/2015 Dirt Modified - I should have posted this a long time ago.... but didn't.  Now it is a just a hazy memory, but I have the data sheet and pictures.  :)

The Consi:

Dirt Modified 004.JPG

In the red lane, Bob's 1957ish Ford is an "old school" dirt car, not the most advantageous body choice, but a cool ride, stuck in the least desirable lane.  In white, Mike's Dart/Duster, small/intermediate Mopar was third in the preliminary heats.

Dirt Modified 002.JPG

In the blue lane, James' Camaro has been a main event winner, but chassis issues in the semi-main resulted in a third place finish and a trip to the Consi.  It was my own dang fault for not resolving the car's handling issues when I first noticed them... bummer.  Todd drew the yellow lane with his Dart Special.

Dirt Modified 005.JPG

Consi final: James (blue), Todd (yellow), Mike (white), Bob, (red)

No Hooligan race this evening, as there were only nine racers and Paul had to leave at the break.  Many of us are retired, but Paul needs to get up early to go to work in the morning.

The Main Event

Dirt Modified 007.JPG

Red lane: Basil's GTO.  White: Cully's Chevelle, Blue: Tom, driving my Mustang (former Main Event winner).  Yellow: Deke's Mopar.

Dirt Modified 012.JPG

Dirt Modified 011.JPG

Main Final: Cully (white), Deke (yellow), Tom (blue), Basil (red)

#116 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:20 PM

Dirt Modified focus:  Deke's Main Event Mopar

Dirt Modified 017.JPG

The car looks just as mean as the owner, (until you get to know the guy).

Dirt Modified 019.JPG

Crude, hand-painted lettering is totally appropriate for the dirt class.

Dirt Modified 020.JPG

Green junkyard replacement door

Dirt Modified 022.JPG

That looks kinda wide... somebody tech the rear end of the thing... if it's 3-1/8 I'll eat it.  :D

Dirt Modified 025.JPG

Hanna chassis, 48 pitch Parma gear, O-ring fronts, ProSlot 16d power.

• Tex likes this

#117 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

I like Deke's Mopar & I'm not a Mopar person.It'd fit right in with the local club. In the past, James, it had been usual for Pelican Park racers to use 48 pitch 6T pinions with Deathstars. A few years ago, the source for these pinions dried up. Was another source for them found when SpeedFX motors began to be used?

Bill Fernald

You have to be odd to be #1. :laugh2: 

#118 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

Eagle Distributing is the supplier for most of the parts at Spare Time Raceway (STR), who provides parts for Pelican.  But the pinions could come from elsewhere, I don't know for certain.

#119 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,827 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

That's a sweet lookin' Plymouth! It's got "the look" down pat!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#120 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:02 PM

7/01/2015 - Pelican Park Trans-Am class.  1966-1972 Pony Cars. 

The Consi

Trans Am 003.JPG

Leo's w-i-d-e Cuda in red, Deke's Firebird in white, Paul's Firebird in blue, and Basil's little 1/25 Challenger in yellow.

Trans Am 004.JPG

A view down the main straight... waiting for the start.

Trans Am 005.JPG

Leo, in the red lane, had been fast early on, easily winning the first heat of the evening from the yellow lane.  He drew red in his semi-main, finishing third to Cully and James.  Thus he wound up in the Consi... in the red lane again.  He really belonged in the Main Event, but "that's racing".

Trans Am 006.JPG  

Paul's blue Firebird body sits upon my loaner chassis, which had a really strong Proslot FX2002, but sub-standard handling.  That's rather a tricky combination.  I test-drove the car after the race and felt guilty for inflicting it on Paul, although he insisted that it drove far better than his car.

Basil's yellow Challenger was fast and Basil's a great driver.  In the yellow lane, that's a winning combination.  Consi final result:  Basil 1st, Leo 2nd, Paul 3rd, Deke 4th.  Deke drops down to fill the Hooligan grid.

The Hooligan

Trans Am 012.JPG

We find Dave's Cuda (on loan from Paul) in the red lane, Deke drew white again, returning-racer, (from before my time here), Greg's blue Mustang in the blue lane, and Bob's Falcon is in yellow.

Trans Am 009.JPG

Bob's Falcon took the checkered-flag for the win (and the donut), Deke was second, Greg 3rd, and Dave 4th.

The Main Event

Trans Am 020.JPG

Mike's white Firebird drew the red lane, James' red/primer Firebird is in white, Tom's Follmer Mustang in blue, and Cully's Smokey Yunick Camaro sits happy in yellow.

Trans Am 017.JPG

The competition a Pelican park is becoming increasingly tough.  I had an early unforced error in the donut that cost half a lap, and that was it for me.  I was able to overtake Mike, in the red lane, but I could not gain on Tom or Cully.  Main Event final: Cully 1st, Tom 2nd, James 3rd, Mike 4th.

Bonus photos: Pit Row

Trans Am 015.JPG

Trans Am 014.JPG

#121 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:25 PM

The Mystery of the white-lane.

Towards the end of the preliminary heats ot the Trans-Am race, a strange phenomenon was observed:

Trans Am 022.JPG

One of these lanes is not like the others.

Trans Am 023.JPG

Something weird is going on here.

Trans Am 024.JPG

That did not happen by chance.

All four lanes have been raced on, for nearly the same number of laps, yet the white lane has much heavier rubber build-up in every turn on the track..

For those readers unfamiliar with the Pelican racing program, not all racers raced on all the lanes.  Lane assignment is by blind drawing.  We don't "rotate through the lanes" like everyone else in the slot-racing universe.  So it is conceivable that someone possibly using a heavier car, maybe with a different rubber compound could leave more rubber in a particular lane... maybe???

But I don't think so.  I think someone glued their tires in the white lane, despite the rule against it.  Not a big deal, we just need to make sure that everyone is aware of the rule.... and the fact that violations leave obvious evidence. :laugh2:

Electric Dreams Online Shop