#26 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

VERY NICE!!!

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#27 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

Thanks!

Joe Kunka

#28 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

Joe, what software (or app, as everyone refers to a software program today) did you use for the box, and on what platform (PC/Mac)? I went back through the post and couldn't find any reference to it.

I do a lot of stuff like this, so I guess you could say professional curiosity is why I ask.

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#29 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:59 AM

Hi Mike,

The box was created mostly in Photoshop from photos, of an original box, emailed to me, as mentioned above, from a friend. I've attached one of his photos.

I cleaned up each panel in Photoshop, laid out the panels as if the box was flattened out, skewed images were adjusted as needed. The completed composite was printed on high quality photographic paper using a professional 12-Color Ink Jet Printer. The resulting Giclee print was, glued, wrapped and folded onto a custom hand cut and assembled chip board box. A lot of work for one sample!

When I finally obtained an original box, for fun, I created the display card above. That creation was more involved. My box was scanned, each 2E image was cleaned up and silhouetted and a new 3 point rule outline added in Illustrator. New type was drawn in Illustrator along with the COX logo. All the components where then designed into the final layout using In-design. I work exclusively on a Mac.

Thanks for your interest,

Joe

Attached Images

• 2E Box Top.jpg

Joe Kunka

#30 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:01 AM

By the way, his original photos were of higher quality and resolution than the image above.

Joe Kunka

#31 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

I've listed the card on ebay.

Joe Kunka

#32 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

Not sure if anyone is interested but have have sold a few display cards and boxes with favorable response. I've even sold a 20"x30" poster of the card. The 2E box hasn't drawn as much attention as I hoped but I'm looking to for another project that might. I'm looking into creating the Cox Dan Gurney Ford Stock Car box. Once again, could use some good photos at least, anyone interested?

I can be reached at:

jmkunka@optonline.net

Joe

Attached Images

• 29624753_1_x.jpg

Joe Kunka

#33 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,638 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:24 AM

Think of doing a 2E box T-shirt?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#34 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

A T-shirt could be a possibility but unlike the boxes, which I print one at a time or as needed, it would be a large investment. I do have a couple of T-shirt places I've used locally but haven't done any shirts in years. The only way I'd do it is if someone placed an order. Not certain what a minimum run would be these days. Last run I did was for a plumbing company and I believe it was for 150 shirts. Are you interested in shirts?

Anyway, I've started the Gurney box. It's a long way off, still need the side and end panels. The font needs to be redrawn, but if not compared side by side with an original it's close. 

Joe

Attached Files

Joe Kunka

#35 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

jpgs attached.

Attached Images

• Gurney Stock Car Box.jpg
  • CoxGurneyBox_Cropped.jpg

Joe Kunka

#36 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:02 PM

Update.

Attached Images

• Cox Gurney Box.jpg

Joe Kunka

#37 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

For anyone who's interested, I can finally bring the 2E repro box saga to a close. Got it to where I was satisfied, lost interest and moved on to other projects. Since I've had a few buyers, I forged ahead to complete the missing interior elements. Decided to offer different variations. Photos attached.

Attached Images

• IMG_0372.JPG
  • IMG_0377.JPG
  • IMG_0357.JPG
  • IMG_0336.JPG
  • IMG_0338.JPG
  • IMG_0348.JPG

• n.elmholt likes this
Joe Kunka

#38 n.elmholt

n.elmholt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

I am certainly interested - could you PM me with a price incl. letter mail postage to Denmark ?

Niels, DK

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#39 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Anyone interested, for $30.00 this ones on ebay again.

Attached Images

• s-l1600.jpg

Joe Kunka

#40 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

This is a descendant from a few repro boxes I made back in the 80's.

Matt Bishop

#41 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

It hasn't aged well, or survived the test of time gracefully. This looks like it's probably a 3 or 4 generation copy of a copy of a copy. 

It's unfortunate that there are individuals who, with little skill or effort, monopolize on someone else's hard work.

Joe Kunka

#42 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Joe, probably the boxes I made got copied and then maybe even those copies got copied. That didn't/doesn't bother me. I held no rights to that box and I just did it for a fun project. There was no great amount of time in that project. Not like the work you put into your boxes. Back in the 80's we didn't have access to programs and printers to do such nice work as you do today.

I don't mind seeing guys use parts I make as masters to mold their own pieces. It all came from some out of business company many years ago. None of it originates with us.
  • Samiam likes this

Matt Bishop

#43 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hi Matt,

You have a good outlook. I'm not trying to make a living doing this, just supplement my hobby, and I am enjoying doing the work. The hard part to accept is that someone will be willing to pay $30.00 for that box on ebay, but impossible to justify $65-$75 or even $100 for mine. Of course $100.00 is not chicken feed and as one forum member put it, "Its just a box". We all have our share of slot cars that are in need of restoration but if it's a favorite, it's nice to be able to display a pristine sample in the appropriate setting. Similar to what the manufacturer had intended.

What I like to believe I'm offering, is a time machine back to our childhood. You open that shipping box, and inside, very carefully packaged, you lift out what appears to be that brand new Cox 2E. Maybe, if even for a brief moment, you're overwhelmed with that same excitement you experienced when you were 12 years old. Of course you know what it is, and you know the car isn't inside, but hopefully you have that pristine sample, just waiting to be displayed in the perfect setting. After all, aren't most of use reliving our childhood with our toys long gone? Spending hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars, to get that one perfect sample.

I offer, at least, a part of that.

Joe

Joe Kunka

Electric Dreams Online Shop