Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:04 PM

Single prop or twin?  

No props... turbines!

• Ten shirt likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#27 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

I have read all the post on this and it looks like a lot of time is being taken trying to find a good motor but nobody wants to build a motor because it takes up to much time and money to buy motor building equipment.  

But yet you will spend $80 on a break-In motor stand and God only knows how much money is spent on these motors.

Just saying!!!

• havlicek, Bud Greene, garyvmachines and 1 other like this
Tracy Brown

#28 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Maybe it's just the race and racer that will be involved in a motor building race...

Jason Engel

#29 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

Maybe you could sell us 800 dollars worth of motor building tools and meters to show us the joys and the light. $80 seems cheap by comparison. Plus all I need is a power supply soldering iron and a car. Ready to race.

• tonyp likes this
Jason Engel

#30 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

Did anyone notice/realize that it was just one guy that wanted to know who was selling a break in stand and what the price was? Gorski asked a question - it's obviously not the only possible way to run motors on a power supply. It's a nice luxury to have, sure, but it's not a requirement.

• tonyp likes this
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

#31 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

I haven't bothered running dyno readings on Hawks. I just change out the motors until I find one I think is fast enough. And what works super on one track can be so-so on another (I do keep notes...)

JJ, why do you think the top guys are constantly on the track, right up until time for tech?   :victory:

• JerseyJohn likes this
"Whatever..."

#32 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,810 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

I have read all the post on this and it looks like a lot of time is being taken trying to find a good motor but nobody wants to build a motor because it takes up to much time and money to buy motor building equipment.  

But yet you will spend $80 on a break-In motor stand and God only knows how much money is spent on these motors.

Just saying!!!

I've raced both ways! And it always cost a lot more to build motors! This is a dead argument! Retro exists for people that don't want to build motors.

There's lot's of classes to build motors in. Race those if you want to build! 

• tonyp, Half Fast, JerseyJohn and 1 other like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#33 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

JJ, why do you think the top guys are constantly on the track, right up until time for tech?   :victory:

You mean thrashing like maniacs and ending up being one of the first five cars to go out for qualifying? That's me, every race LOL.

• JerseyJohn likes this
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

#34 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

Warning... thread drift alert!  :shout:

Which is why there has to be a rule to limit how long any one racer can hog a lane. I just want to get a few minutes on an inside lane and the gutters.

But it's impossible when guys are testing five cars at a time.

• Half Fast and JerseyJohn like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#35 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

Maybe you could sell us 800 dollars worth of motor building tools and meters to show us the joys and the light. $80 seems cheap by comparison. Plus all I need is a power supply soldering iron and a car. Ready to race.

And 50 motors at $13 each, total $650.00 and a motor break-in stand for $80 –  total $730. Difference of $60 bucks.

Just doing the math here!!!
  • havlicek and Bud Greene like this
Tracy Brown

#36 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:44 PM

No one says you need more than a few motors. Your math is off and you know it. Then add on the price of materials to make a good built motor. A lathe, etc. It's still cheaper the spec way.

If you want to do it locally go, for it. Hopefully it works out well.
Jason Engel

#37 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,799 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:47 PM

Generally the better motors on the Trinity machine tend to run well on the track but there are some that break that rule.

I can't imagine a downside to breaking-in a motor pointed down. When started the armature centers itself in the field. If it is dragging against the can bushing this would help reduce friction before putting it under increased load.

Most motors have an imbalance point in the RPM range. Revving a motor in your hand, it you have a good power supply, can often tell you a lot about a motor that combined with amp draw can help you make a decision.This does require experience, sorry. Nobody has mentioned an oscilloscope but they can be useful too but not on my budget.

I never test a motor at 12 volts no load. It will never see that kind of RPM under load so whats the point? I'm using 8 volts and that avoids brush bounce and unneeded arcing.

Just putting it in the car without trying it with different gear ratios doesn't give you a 100% answer.

There are some people in this world that are just way more motivated and willing to spend both time and money than I am. 

• Half Fast, NSwanberg and DOCinCanton like this
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#38 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

No one says you need more than a few motors. Your math is off and you know it. Then add on the price of materials to make a good built motor. A lathe, etc. It's still cheaper the spec way.

If you want to do it locally go for it. Hopefully it works out well.

Just for the record how many times a month do you race and how many motors do you buy? Just wondering...

Tracy Brown

#39 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

Generally the better motors on the Trinity machine tend to run well on the track but there are some that break that rule.

I can't imagine a downside to breaking-in a motor pointed down. When started the armature centers itself in the field. If it is dragging against the can bushing this would help reduce friction before putting it under increased load.

Most motors have an imbalance point in the RPM range. Revving a motor in your hand, it you have a good power supply, can often tell you a lot about a motor that combined with amp draw can help you make a decision.This does require experience, sorry. Nobody has mentioned an oscilloscope but they can be useful too but not on my budget.

I never test a motor at 12 volts no load. It will never see that kind of RPM under load so whats the point? I'm using 8 volts and that avoids brush bounce and unneeded arcing.

Just putting it in the car without trying it with different gear ratios doesn't give you a 100% answer.

There are some people in this world that are just way more motivated and willing to spend both time and money than I am. 

A motor machine hum motor building equipment something I didn't think you need with Retro Hawks.

• olescratch likes this
Tracy Brown

#40 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

Usually twice a month. I cycle through 10 motors. When one goes down I lose it. Sell it to drag racers.

My curiosity is why you are arrogant enough to think what has been going well for years needs you trying to change it. Doesn't seem to be going so well for wing racing these days.

Your comments in the other thread were I believe "maybe it's time for a change." Fiddle sticks, gauss meters, and whatever else you will come up with to sell serves no purpose in Retro. And that will not be changing any time soon. Maybe at your local track it might.

But on a larger scale... Retro racers don't want it.

Just my opinion, of course.
  • Cheater likes this
Jason Engel

#41 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

You're right. I just need to sell everyone a ton of motors they can't work on – good idea!! Don't need to sell any tools, just motors. Less inventory for me. I'm in!!!
Tracy Brown

#42 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:07 AM

Usually twice a month. I cycle through 10 motors. When one goes down I lose it. Sell it to drag racers.

Also I just figured out you're selling motors to others racers at your track and the owner is not making any money on it. If you did that at my track you would not be racing.
Tracy Brown

#43 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

And where did I say I sell them at the track? I didn't ask how you run your track. That is your business.

And does this all have a point or did you come on to this thread just to say I'm Tracy Brown and you need to listen to me. I'm right.

Facebook seems to like your idea of a built motor race. I would discuss it there. The interest didn't seem to be here. As I said about your "world's race," good luck.
Jason Engel

#44 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

Unless I am blind in your post #55 you said sell to drag racers.
Tracy Brown

#45 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:25 AM

Yes, sell to drag racers.

Does this have a point, Tracy? You seem to be talking about nothing.
Jason Engel

#46 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:28 AM

Guys - cut the crap!!

This pointless discussion has gone on far too long...
Ron Thornton

#47 Butters37

Butters37

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

My bad, Zippity. If it continues it will be via PM.
Jason Engel

#48 Mr. GoFast

Mr. GoFast

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

Does this have a point tracy? You seem to be talking about nothing.

My point is you buy motor after motor after motor. They don't run, they are crap, and then you sell them to drag racers at the track. And then the track makes no money and then you can go buy more motors for yourself.
Tracy Brown

#49 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

Tracy,

The raceway already got the money for the motor AND made a profit. No different then a racer selling a used car/chassis to someone. Plus if the motor is slow he's buying another motor from the raceway.

At least that's how I see it. To each their own though.
  • Ramcatlarry, W. J. Dougherty, TG Racing and 1 other like this

#50 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

Off the subject... the motor issues would not be an issue if you design a class where the motor is so much better the the chassis... but then everyone would be flying off track.   :laugh2:
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

Electric Dreams Online Shop