• This topic is locked This topic is locked
213 replies to this topic

#201 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Motor brush hardness absolutely will affect performance. Seen it with 16Ds, C-cans, and open motors.

I am at a total loss for words right now...
  • Bernie likes this

Matt Sheldon

#202 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

I have stayed out of this discussion because I did not want to add any fuel to the fire. Now it seems to me that this motor situation has spun out of control.

Very sad that we can't work together somehow and get to the bottom of what is the root cause to two motor issues (2-speed issue and runs slow for 30 seconds then runs fast for rest of the heat). I have had both issues; they are real.

I would like to help, but it seems that everybody is attacking everybody else and nothing substantial gets done; at least I have not seen it.
  • Half Fast likes this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#203 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Tone it down please.

There's only one person that can fix any problems with JK motors and that's Tim.

All I've seen Tim do is ask for information on what's going on and samples of flawed product to be returned.

All of your opinions on exactly what is "wrong" ARE JUST YOUR OPINIONS until verified by JK and whether right or wrong your opinions don't actually fix anything.

• Phil Hackett likes this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#204 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

How can the SCRRA have this much trouble getting problem motors to look at?
Eddie Fleming

#205 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

I notice you keep avoiding my question, for weeks and right now, Mike.

What exact problem have you directly observed that makes you call our motors "defective"? Not secondhand or third hand, not repeating other people's opinions, your firsthand observations and experience.

Are you kidding?

From post #128 (you had to have read it. You emailed me asking for the motor and old endbell.)

I tried his car. It would start out in front of the panel OK speed, then get fast/norma, entering the bank. It seemed just barely OK in the deadman and finger, and then go noticeably real slow in the back chute, donut, and lead-on.

The lap times were approx. 5.3, uncompetitive, and Dave elected not to race.

I said hang on. I shot out the motor with Pure. No improvement.

I crazy glued the terminals and let it dry. No improvement.

I pressed on all three comm tabs with a large alllen wrench, like you would use on 5/64" self-tapping screws in an FCR. No improvement.

I then put the car on the power supply at 6V while we raced. Halfway through the race, I stopped it, got the car, and went on the lane Dave would have been on. No improvement.

I restarted that heat and we finished the race. I tried it a few more times since Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon. No improvement.

From post #186
And Bernard just reported two bad motors, last night. I drove one and tested the other on my power supply, to confirm.

From post #190 (my account to Stu was first hand and I wouldn't of asked Stu if I got anywhere with you)
in the case of the motor running slow the beginning of the heat, it will do it all 8 heats of the race.
IOW, 30 seconds slow, sudden speed increase for the remaining 2 1/2 minutes, and as mentioned it will repeat each heat.

All of the above three cases are me driving and the car not running the whole lap, or the whole heat, at full power.

I consider that as defective.

When you were looking to buy JK, Jerry Kulich told you, you can trust me 100%.

Fell free to ask Jerry again, to see if he was just joshing you.

• kvanpelt and gfox like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#206 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Hmmm. The SCRRA is having trouble getting motors back from racers and Tim is having trouble getting motors back from racers.

"Coincidenza?"

- Father Guido Sarducci

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#207 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

Arne

Why would you think this might happen? It's very easy to understand if you think. You get it, you try it, it's junk, you trash it, and move on. most of us don't hold on to junk $12 motors, especially if they were a big disappointment, i.e. pissed my money down the drain. 

Tim needs to get his head on straight. He has no bigger supporter than Mike Swiss. 

Now I am abnormal and I have a bunch, 6-10, that 2-speed. I will give them to Bryan now that I know he wishes to have them. They all do the same thing the Evil One on Facebook showed in his video.

#208 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

I just read this stuff here, so, please, bear with me.

As a part time racer at BPR/SCRRA, maybe, just maybe, Bryan isn't getting problem motors from local racers is because we do not seem to be having the issues you racers are having. F7s have dried up, so have most TSRs. Still some around, not many. So, we've been using the 7R or R7, whatever its called. Seems to work for most, especially on BPR's King. Granted, IRRA® has way more racers and tracks than out west, I give you that.

But, to say what's the problem getting problem motors to Bryan, well, in our small boat here we seem to make do and don't bust seams over this. As small as SCRRA is, we do the best we can. And do it pretty good, I suppose.

Just my opinion guys.

Tom Eatherly

#209 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

This 7R discussion has escalated to Defcon 5 rather too quickly.

Can't we all get along? We are all in this together.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#210 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

Tom, the problem is less present in flat track racing and you don't play on the King so this could be why you don't know as most of us that do play there found 7 out of 15 that I have. Will give to Bryan on Friday and let's see if I get replacements??

jason

PS: I don't think anyone is Hammering on the SCRRA either.

#211 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

OK, Jason. And I agree. That's why I mentioned I'm only a part-time racer at BPR. Lets see how this pans out regarding our motor "issues."

And thank you for the motor for my Coupe. Working!

See you Friday.

• Jason Holmes likes this
Tom Eatherly

#212 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:19 AM

It seems that most of this could have been avoided if Tim had simply done as many suggested!! Don't change anything!!! The biggest thing we need is consistency!! Trying to constantly "change" to make a better motor is what keeps driving this problem! Let this batch get worked through – and stop changing them!! I know Tim simply wants to sell lots of little motors for us to race with – and I thank him for his investment and energy – but not being a slot racer isn't helping him. Please, just stop trying to change anything – and keep the motors coming from the same factory with the same specifications and don't change!!!  :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#213 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,548 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

Five pages is enough and posters are starting to repeat themselves.... time to shut the thread down methinks.

• grooverunner likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#214 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:57 AM

Greg,

I opened this to answer Charlie, and more importantly, provide Tim with some test info.

Well Mr. Swiss, I'm still learning. I know you know how to test slots, but why test a car that had a Frankenstein motor comparing it to a standard one?

Charlie,

The reference to the Frankenstein motor, and keep running it, was to isolate the issue with that particular motor being the "stock" endbell assembly.

The owner of the car had a plumbing issue at home, so I gave it to another racer to run it to confirm the R endbell cured the problem.

The motor did run fine the whole time. The race sheet is below. Alex Block ran the car.

It took him a few heats to get used to it, but he had a big heat on blue, running 26 laps and a solid 4.53. I duplicated that 4.53 after the race, also blue.

Now, that I proved the R endbell fixed the motor, I'll take it out, and send it off to Tim.

20180124_222208-1.jpg

Charlie,

I have plenty of info to look for lap times. Here's about half the pertinent sheets I have;

In the front row, there is one with a small pink highlight. It says H7. The winner, was Ed Hoffman, running a fast 4.39... but it was with an illegal H7-powered, Florida car. LOL.

20180124_222133.jpg

• Bryan Warmack and Terry like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

Electric Dreams Online Shop