Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,707 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

$1,000 feeds me for two months.  

My motto is "If it's 99 cents, it's delicious." 

• Maximo and elvis44102 like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

If you see me talking to myself just remember I'm self employed and I'm having a staff meeting.

#27 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

If food is that cheap down Atlanta way, I've found my new home. I spend $75-100 each week. Mostly for low sodium-low fat items. And I don't eat a lot, being on a diet. Even salad is not cheap in my area. I don't cook (EPA won't let me, bio-hazard). So everything is prepared. Plus I go out with the "guys" one or twice a week, but to cheap restaurants. Nothing fancy.

I started keeping track of what I spent in an Excel spreadsheet about ten years ago, and the big jump came when the Dominick's food chain closed. Prices in general went up 20 to 25 percent in about a year. The cartons of liquid, no colesterol egg substitute I use went from $3.79 per carton, to $5.49 per carton in that time. The Perdue grilled chicken strips I use for my Cesar salads went from $3.99 to $5.99. Dominick's kept the prices lower due to their competition.

And Aldi's is not a good solution for me. With most of their products sold in bulk packaging, as a single I just can't use it all up before it goes bad. So I would still have to go to Jewel and Pete's for some items.

Living single is not as cheap as you might think.    

#28 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

I live alone as well and food, gasoline, and housing are cheap here in Texas.

No state income tax either.

maximo

David Ray Siller
Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingie!

#29 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

So I have heard. Austin is on the short list, I have a relative who lives there.

#30 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

Dave:

Austin is really cool, I use to live just north of there (Georgetown) in the early 2000s. Georgetown was perfect because we were close enough to Austin to be able to get there, depending on traffic, in about 20 minutes but didn't have to deal with the "big city" every day.

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#31 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,222 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

If food is that cheap down Atlanta way, I've found my new home.

Well, not to boast too much, I am a real tightwad shopper. My ex used to call me the king of sale meat... LOL! I have a decent-sized freezer and I am not afraid to use it.

Having been a automotive parts manager for many years, I have a keen eye for good deals when I shop.

And I do cook, love to cook actually, which is I think is where I am able to save compared to you, Dave. I eat out very little.

And, yes indeed, cooking for one is much more difficult than I had expected it to be. One cannot buy half a head of lettuce, a half stalk of celery, or a half a loaf of bread...
  • Roy Lievanos likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#32 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Greg,

Exactly. Which is why I like Pete's here. They have pre-packaged small quantities, including half heads of lettuce/cabbage. 

I love romaine, and it is nice to be able to buy a package with two stalks rather than six. Or one tomato. Yes, Jewel has loose produce, but their scales (which I made the parts for at CWM) won't weigh one tomato. So I end up paying for the minimum weight anyway.

#33 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,222 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Wish some place here sold half a head of lettuce and partial stalks of celery. There isn't anyone here doing that as far as I know.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#34 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:29 PM

Are there any services locally like "Let's Dish" in Minnesota? They have you assemble meals with just the ingredients needed, & you can prep multiple meals ahead of time, freezing them if appropriate for later use. Once we went from 5 kids at home to just the two of us, Vicki made use of that service.

Marcus

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#35 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

Blue Apron is one. My dietitian is trying to convince me into using that service. Way too expensive. 

#36 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

A friend notes that "given long enough, all threads drift to food"

Cheers

• MSwiss, kvanpelt and Samiam like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#37 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

A friend notes that "given long enough, all threads drift to food"

Cheers

If they were younger, it would have drifted to booze and women!! :shok:

• Half Fast and Samiam like this

Kevin VanPelt

"Hakuna Matata"

#38 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:39 AM

Slot Car 1/24 HOLY GRAIL! Prototype MUSTANG II Vintage

I offered $25 and seller refused; counteroffered $1,000. All I wanted was the Dynamic frame, the rest I would throw away!! I thought $25 was a generous offer!!

attachicon.gifm1.jpg

Should've bought it, removed the frame,then listed the body on eBay for $999! A real bargain for any "Grail" hunter.

Marcus

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

Electric Dreams Online Shop