• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:25 PM

Interesting. I hadn't considered the consistency aspect.

Jay, it's good to be positive and supportive. And many posters in this thread have been. But has anyone actually bought one? They've been for sale since December.

I do offer this whole setup for sale or just the switch if that works for you. Maxx motors are $40 Castle motors are $50 . The switch mailed is $85 .

http://slotblog.net/...acing/?p=768852

I think what Tom has done is very cool. However I think it's way too expensive to ever catch on. It will be impossible to get a class started for them at that price. Especially since there's much cheaper options that work much better.

Phil Smith ® ©

#27 Rob King

Rob King

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:52 PM

I was thinking about this. The majority of racing rc cars use sensored motors so they don't roll backwards, more precise throttle, etc.  Sensorless winds up more in monster trucks and "fun" type cars.  

There are a lot of people who have converted standard brushed motor dynos over to brushless by putting a brushless speed control in line between the dyno and a brushless motor.  This works by using a servo controller to put the speed controller at WOT.   Set up like this, the dyno can control the motor as it normally would.  

Essentially, you would need an esc that was pinned wide open.  I realize that is more or less what has been demonstrated here, but sensored would probably be better for roadcourse cars.  That being said, I imagine the only situation where it might really be worth all the trouble would be  rental cars so the motor would really be maintenance free.

#28 Bags

Bags

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:03 AM

Jay brought up a good point. Consistently is a very important part, think of this. A drone has 4 brushless motors on it. It also has a program to keep it “ flying “ too. I talked to a friend that races and also does aerial surveys with 4 motor drones. I asked him about the consistency of the brushless motors and he told me that they may vary by 5 RPM. If they weren’t that close the drone would not fly he said. Nobody wants their expensive drone to fall outta the sky and crash. 

The backing up is not noticeable at all in a slot car. Once power is applied the car will go forward without a pulse backward.

Tom Bagley

#29 Rob King

Rob King

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:39 PM

The motor can lose position when it loses power or stops.  In a crash or when someone tries to put a car back on, it could go backwards.  This would happen in the early days of B/L sensorless rc car motors, even with no reverse on the speed control.

As far as consistency, it's more or less like any other electric motor.  The components- stator, rotor, etc., can all be hand selected for max performance, if that is allowed to happen.  

#30 Guillermo Suar

Guillermo Suar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

Some years ago I built a lot of Gauss meters for a guy that was selling them for measuring the strength of the magnetic field on R/C brushless motors' rotors. They were looking for the magic bullet same as we do. I built over 150 of these meters in two different versions.

zubak-speed-meter-pan-car-mms-motor_1_c1

Because light travels faster than sound, some people appear to be bright until we hear them speaking.

#31 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Old Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

yo, Bags, 

nice work! how about some pictures of your creation? 

thanks 

speed

Steve Lang

Electric Dreams Online Shop