• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:10 AM

AP Style indicates that periods and commas go inside the closing quote at the end of a sentence. But not exclamation or question marks.

Thus, 'hook.' But not 'hook'?

This is something I've always struggled with. Now if I can just remember it.

• Cheater likes this

Phil Smith ® ©

#27 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

While we're talking style, there's one thing that bugs me to no end: run on sentences.

run on sentences are not a problem on slotblog but on comment sections and blogs I see them all the time where the poster cant get to the point and just ramble and ramble and ramble without using periods commas semi colons apostrophes or any sort of punctuatation making it very difficult to read and follow ya know what they are ramblinng about like they have something to say and spend the time and effort to let us know how they feel and we get confused where the post is going and what is the point is when the weather outside is cold and they have been inside too long they need to release whatever cabin fever that has developed sharing it with us the users on slotblog with insightful thoughts about anything that comes to mind no matter inane and and confused even though they most likely have at minimum graduated from high school and they didnt properly learn english or are so lazy as not to use the language they were taught properly but maybe it's all the flux lead and glue that has altered the way they think and post maybe its the 330am race conclusions and the lack of sleep because they need to get up at 6am to go to work the next day and the boss thinks theyre hungover making tension and drama in the office plant and the wife isnt understanding and the doghouse is currently unoccupied or the couch has been recently reupholstered but you have keep the shoes off when in the house because the dirt you bring in plugs up the vacuum filter bags too fast

See?

• Cheater, Ramcatlarry, Half Fast and 1 other like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#28 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

"use" - "used"

Two different meanings. :)
Ron Thornton

#29 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hey, Phil, sometimes language is not one's native tongue.
  • Jason Holmes likes this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#30 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

Hey Phil, sometimes language is not one's native tongue.

It's very obvious to me when I see a non-English speaking person's post. They tend to get the idea across without running on and on AND many of those "foreign" posts have better grammar than most of us use.

• Cheater and Samiam like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#31 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

Phil, I didn't say "a language". ;-)

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#32 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:14 AM

You got me, Jim! :laugh2: Advantage, JH!

MACHINESIGN.JPG

Electric Dreams Online Shop