Ah, one of my favorite subjets, thanks for raising this Dallas.
I was also raised on the US system of capitalizing all major words in a title, but once I started working in France, I became more used to the European method of only capitalizing first words - and it began to seem right. Just looked at my international edition of The New York Times, and it seems they don't capitalize their titles any more!
However, Greg is right, in that the most important thing is to pick a style and stick to it. That's what we're always trying to drum into our clients, when there are a couple "correct" ways of doing things: pick either one, but be consistent.
My big battle here has been trying to get clients to indent paragraphs on their print publications... Guess what? I lost the battle! About 10 years ago, when my biggest client launched a new corporate magazine, I explained that this was pretty much mandatory in US publications, and they said, OK, fine. Then a few years ago, when they revamped the thing, I tried again, but the answer was, "No, we use a standard 'platform' for layout now, and it won't fit!"
Progress, eh?
Anyway, Greg and I have been sharing stories on the layout front for years, sorry for the instrusion...
Don
PS: But... I don't agree with Greg about the subject line: it's a title!