Jump to content




Photo

A great way of cutting bodies


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LtDan

LtDan

    Rookie Keyboard Racer

  • Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern CA

Posted 24 August 2026 - 09:19 PM

post-9247-0-75263700-1787623744.jpg

 

I bought this stuff some time ago the other day I painted up a body and was getting ready to trim it. I have used the double-sided tape Scotch brand applied to a brass plate to stick to the side of the body. Well, it sticks way too much, and you almost tear the body apart getting it to release. I saw this hanging on my wall and it is Poster Tape, designed to release easier, and it does. I took a 3/4 " brass strip applied a 1/4" strip of this tape cutting it essentially in half with my X-Acto knife. Pulled the backing off, lined it up on the body, and made a cut. When the cut was made I was able to remove the plate from the body a lot easier than the double-sided tape.


  • Tex, Tim Neja, Fergy and 5 others like this
Dan Calhoun




#2 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted 21 September 2026 - 07:15 PM

📢BRILLIANT
Have you thought about drilling the pin holes in the brass? By the time I get even remotely close,it looks like Swiss cheese or the body of a volunteer for acupuncture training for the blind

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,361 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted 21 September 2026 - 08:00 PM

You don't say what kind of double-sided tape you were using, but Scotch (3M) also sold/sells a low-tack photo & document tape. That's what they sold locally when I needed some  . in the past. Your packaging looks newer than mine. Perhaps it's the same tape but renamed & repackaged.

 

Mark, your pinholes look like Swiss cheese? One tip to prevent that is to not heavily paint your body sides or just mask off the lower 1/4 inch so it remains clear. Cut your body for mounting & use a small light source shining into the body from the other side to show your pin tubes or body clip mounting hole locations. Then reinforce the hole locations on the body with the strips of body armor, strapping tape, cloth tape, or Duct Tape.


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted 22 September 2026 - 06:45 PM

I think I like the brass strip er method. Looking forward to trying it. Seems like it will add some consistency, being able to have something to measure from on both sides. Nothing worse than when they're lopsided.
I just had a vision. What about a metal rule and 🧲's? I would have less chance of tearing it and far less chance of throwing it across the room after tapping it for the 100th time and running out of tape after I've ripped the body in 8 or 15 places.

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,361 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted 22 September 2026 - 07:11 PM

Each of your chassis is apt to need different holes, by their location & spacing. That brass strip will end up being your Swiss cheese. If you build all your chassis & use the same location for pintubes on them all, that brass will have only a pair of holes, unless you decide to have three pintubes per side.

 

I don't see a moveable brass strip with stationary holes being a big help. You should get one of the body mounting jigs that are available or build one yourself. YouTube might have a "how-to" video. I think it was R_GEO & a British guy who sold complete jigs. Shining a light through the body is much simpler & cheaper. Do whatever you want.

 

Did you ever notice that wing car racers don't paint their body sides? There's a reason for that.


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#6 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted 23 September 2026 - 01:49 PM

Yes, and I've tried the clear side method. Buckshot

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,361 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted 23 September 2026 - 02:09 PM

Use your 2-holes in a brass strip method, then tell us how it works or doesn't work. You'll have to mount several bodies using it before you know.

 

I see on Facebook Dan runs a hardbody modified coupe class. The cars shown look great. I'm guessing he runs it on his oval rather than the king.


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#8 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Haven't been able to make it there. Not really into the hard bodies, with the exception of the fairer sex😁. I don't think there running that anymore. Pretty sure it's down to drag racing,LMP and, modifies on a very small 6(?) lane oval. Is that track posted?





Electric Dreams Online Shop