Jump to content




Photo

Slot racing in Phoenix


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tazman

tazman

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Reno, NV

Posted 01 October 2026 - 05:22 PM

I was disappointed to see that the commercial 1/24 track was closed in Mesa. I found it and went up to the door; it was locked and the phone was not working. Tracks were up and it looked like nobody was there recently.

 

I called the 1/32 track in Phoenix but I did not bring my cars. Oh, well!


Rick Ortogero




#2 Cheater

Cheater

    Headmaster of the asylum

  • Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,991 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norcross, GA

Posted 01 October 2026 - 06:13 PM

And as happens almost 100% of the time, no one thought to let me know so I could correct the raceway list.

Honestly I don't know why I waste my time trying to maintain an accurate slot car raceway list, since it is obvious almost no one cares.


Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap


#3 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

    always in last place

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucson, AZ

Posted 01 October 2026 - 09:48 PM

As with many slot car raceways today, Speed & Sport in Mesa has limited hours mainly for when there's racing. To my knowledge, Roger Gunning has not closed the raceway, but the primary day it's open is Saturday for drag racing. The drag strip has seen regular use. The flat track and HO track are used sporadically. If the raceway were actually closed, there'd be no tracks in the store. Usually the phone for the raceway is someone's personal cell phone.

 

There are so many slot car venues now that are on limited or irregular hours - open only when they race - that it's imperative to always call before traveling to one to ascertain the operating schedule and whether they'll be open at the time one wants to visit. Even doing that, I sometimes miss an opportunity.



#4 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

    always in last place

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucson, AZ

Posted 01 October 2026 - 10:52 PM

Made contact with Roger Gunning, and Speed & Sport is definitely not closed. Roger reports his operating hours as:

 

"We’re still there, open on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Usually open around 4 during the week, around 10 on weekends. Those are our race days, the road course is pretty difficult for newbies unless I turn the power way down.

 

So that being said, we don’t get many people who just come in and play."

 

"Road coarse" refers to the 105' flat track built by Bob Scott.



#5 Cheater

Cheater

    Headmaster of the asylum

  • Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,991 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norcross, GA

Posted 01 October 2026 - 10:58 PM

Thanks, Bill. I replaced the listing and added a note.


Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap


#6 tazman

tazman

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Reno, NV

Posted 02 October 2026 - 08:08 PM

I was wondering if there was updated number I could call and speak to somebody about the raceway and times. My son recently moved to Chandler and brought all of his rock crawlers and sprint cars, which he is heavily into. He also wanted me to send some of my slot cars to him and he wanted me to test them for him (flexis and a Womp).

 

I am going to come back to Chandler for a family get together and would to test and tune. Is there a working phone number? I tried calling the number from Facebook, not in service.


Rick Ortogero

#7 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

    always in last place

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucson, AZ

Posted 02 October 2026 - 10:43 PM

I'll work on getting a new phone contact.


  • Roy Lievanos likes this

#8 tazman

tazman

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined: 30-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Reno, NV

Posted 02 October 2026 - 11:02 PM

Thank you!


Rick Ortogero

#9 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

    always in last place

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucson, AZ

Posted 03 October 2026 - 09:12 PM

We contacted Roger Gunning and asked for the correct phone number and were given the same one that's in the Slotblog Raceway Directory and on Speed & Sport's Facebook page: (480) 647-4238. Since the report here is that this number is not in service, my wife called it. No one answered in four rings, so it transferred to a voice mail system to take a message. It would appear the phone number listed in Slotblog and Facebook is still correct. Don't know what happened with the 'out of service' phone, but I suggest trying the phone again on an evening or weekend when there's a race happening.
 
The main Speed & Sport Facebook page is not very active. As with some other raceways I've encountered, the main activity and event notices are posted to a racer page and aren't linked or otherwise acknowledged on the raceway page. It looks like there's nothing going on at the raceway when in fact there's a regular schedule of activities that are posted to a different racer page. For Speed & Sport, my wife alerted me to the active page being a drag racing one that I've discovered on Facebook at Speed & Sport Slot Car Drag Racing.
 
Turns out there's an upcoming major drag racing event at Speed & Sport this month:

 

801883761_122140532811236237_16350495906







Electric Dreams Online Shop