Jump to content




Photo

Long term tire storage


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mppicione

mppicione

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Joined: 18-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Frankford, Delaware

Posted Today, 05:21 AM

Is putting your retro slot car tires in the fridge the best way to store them long term?

They would be in original tubes, then put in a ziplok bag.


Marc Picione




#2 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

    Race Leader

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Joined: 06-June 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Macon, GA

Posted Today, 05:28 AM

Thats where I keep mine....never had any problems, just let them warm good before using.



#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,373 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted Today, 06:08 AM

I have a Ziploc bag of tires in tubes & a few donuts that have been in my cellar fridge since before 2010 when the local raceway closed. 


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 Bridgehampton66

Bridgehampton66

    On The Lead Lap

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined: 12-March 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cambridge, MA

Posted Today, 07:45 AM

This (tires in tubes, in bag, in metallic box, discovered below ground) might be a fascinating puzzle for the archeologists who follow us.

Whether they be human, alien, or silicon-based.


  • slotcarone likes this

Rob Hayes

Catfish International (HO) Speedway - The Brystal Catfish

Modelville Hobby and NERR - 1/24

MARC/New England - HO

https://www.berklee....ple/rob-hayes-0


#5 Pablo

Pablo

    Builder

  • Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,593 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cleveland, Tennessee

Posted Today, 07:56 AM

I don't know of any better way than the OP.

Another step I take is to leave them somewhat oversized when stored, and remove from refrig a couple days before a race.

Once they return to normal temp, trim off the outer rubber down to fresh material and true at race size


Paul Wolcott


#6 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

    Village Luddite

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Joined: 14-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zanesville, OH

Posted Today, 08:46 AM

I don't know. When going through the contents of a box of old slot stuff, I found a pair of Limpach Fresh Cuts from the early 1980s, still in the tube. I opened it, and the tires were still soft and pliable. Also found a pair of Black Max tires, of the same vintage as the Limpachs, and they were soft, too. So I would say leaving the tires in their tubes is the most important thing. Any other additional container is icing on the cake.


 It's weird being the same age as Old People.


#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,373 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted Today, 12:58 PM

Keep them away from a heat source too. I had some blue & orange Aquirre donuts stored in my attic. A few years later both were rock hard. I might have rubber for fronts if I ever make any. In the past, I made them from street hockey pucks.


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#8 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

    always in last place

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucson, AZ

Posted Today, 03:21 PM

I think the most important aspect is to keep the tires sealed away from the air since the oils dry out of them. I think the refrigerator is just one more step in that direction. I know storing them in the refrigerator is popular, but I've never done it myself. Another acquaintance of mine started wrapping his tires in plastic food wrap between races and swears by that practice. Anything that seals air out works.



#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,373 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted Today, 07:56 PM

In the days of unlimited track glue, I coated tires with Camen red glue before storing them away.


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 





Electric Dreams Online Shop