Jump to content




Photo

Cidex Omni Flex


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Here's something a lot different that you don't see everyday.

I'll post more pics shortly.

 

20261008_190114.jpg

 

20261008_190210.jpg






#2 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM

I'll post the instructions later.
 
Anyone ever used one of these?
 
Looks and feels like #5 of solder on the connections.
 
20261008_191520~2.jpg
  • Mudhen likes this

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,375 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 PM

I never owned one, but I think they were popular in the '90s. The one in your photos looks new. Is it yours?


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 Bill Seitz

Bill Seitz

    always in last place

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tucson, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 07:10 PM

I haven't used one, but this is basically a diode controller using bridge rectifiers. Diode controllers use a series string of diodes using the .6V voltage drop across each one to create a throttle step. Because bridge rectifiers have diodes arranged in both polarities, they enable the Omni to work in either polarity. Realize that this is a very early entry into electronic controllers noting that it's only 9 bands and was primarily competing with resistor controllers. It may have seemed like it was adjusting to all levels of motors because I'm sure it was better than the resistor controllers in this respect. However, diodes still increase voltage drop as current increases, so they aren't as effective in adjusting for different motors as a transistor controller with typical sensitivity control. The sensitivity control also lacks the resolution and variability of a transistor controller, since the sensitivity is being changed by switching additional diodes in and out of the circuit. A bridge rectifier having 2 diodes in series offers a 1.2V step. That's pretty coarse resolution. Of course, compared to a resistor controller that likely had no sensitivity control and was greatly effected by changes in load current, the Omni could be a big improvement. Today, it's far surpassed by transistor controllers. I'd relegate it to a conversation piece and historic collectible.

 

Of course, I was recently told of a wing car racer that's still using a 7-band Difalco. I didn't know Jim made a 7-band controller - missed that one.


  • Mudhen likes this

#5 slotcarone

slotcarone

    Posting Leader

  • IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts
  • Joined: 23-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dutchess County, NY

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

I have a Cidex Omni. A similar but different design. They were used with a Parma Turbo controller and you converted it to the Cidex. We sold many of them and did the conversion at Westchester Raceway back in the '90's. A great design that myself and many others used for flexi and up to Group 27 classes. I used mine for many years when we first started Retro racing. I had an adjustable brake on it. Still works great. :)


Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!


#6 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted Today, 01:24 AM

The adjustable break is something that I've been hoping will be better when using the new bread of insanity powerful magnets. Having learned to negotiate(sometimes)the corners by costing into them,I've not been able to do that with these magnets.
Yes Billnh,I purchased it new but I've yet to use it. I believe that my >=.7ohm external controller that had been my favorite,with a lot of sentamental value has been stolen,so I dug this up looking for it.

#7 Jim Difalco

Jim Difalco

    Race Leader

  • Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined: 20-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Jensen Beach, Florida

Posted Today, 07:51 AM

I haven't used one, but this is basically a diode controller using bridge rectifiers. Diode controllers use a series string of diodes using the .6V voltage drop across each one to create a throttle step. Because bridge rectifiers have diodes arranged in both polarities, they enable the Omni to work in either polarity. Realize that this is a very early entry into electronic controllers noting that it's only 9 bands and was primarily competing with resistor controllers. It may have seemed like it was adjusting to all levels of motors because I'm sure it was better than the resistor controllers in this respect. However, diodes still increase voltage drop as current increases, so they aren't as effective in adjusting for different motors as a transistor controller with typical sensitivity control. The sensitivity control also lacks the resolution and variability of a transistor controller, since the sensitivity is being changed by switching additional diodes in and out of the circuit. A bridge rectifier having 2 diodes in series offers a 1.2V step. That's pretty coarse resolution. Of course, compared to a resistor controller that likely had no sensitivity control and was greatly effected by changes in load current, the Omni could be a big improvement. Today, it's far surpassed by transistor controllers. I'd relegate it to a conversation piece and historic collectible.

 

Of course, I was recently told of a wing car racer that's still using a 7-band Difalco. I didn't know Jim made a 7-band controller - missed that one.

Bill, you are cheating me out of 3 wiper bands! I made 10 band external resistor controllers. Back in the early 1990's when the Omni came out the owner asked me to build them for him while I was already building my own external resistor controllers. I told him I would consider it and he gave me one of the original units to play with. I had no intention of being his employee and I still have the unit to this day. His company lasted about 3 years or so.


  • JerseyJohn likes this

Jim Difalco
Difalco Design
3075 NE Loquat Lane
Jensen Beach, FL 34957
(772) 334-1987
askjim@difalcoonline.com


#8 Mark Onofri

Mark Onofri

    Posting Leader

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined: 18-November 20
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Syracuse, NY

Posted Today, 12:42 PM

What's your take on it Jim?

#9 Bill Breck

Bill Breck

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Joined: 21-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Middle TN

Posted Today, 05:36 PM

The adjustable break is something that I've been hoping will be better when using the new bread of insanity powerful magnets. Having learned to negotiate(sometimes)the corners by costing into them,I've not been able to do that with these magnets.
Yes Billnh,I purchased it new but I've yet to use it. I believe that my >=.7ohm external controller that had been my favorite,with a lot of sentamental value has been stolen,so I dug this up looking for it.

 

Try turning the brake all the way off to get maximum coast and then adjust it upwards if you feel you need more brakes. This is what I used to do for the Wednesday night LMP race at Speedy's. 







Electric Dreams Online Shop