Jump to content




Photo

Where did you race as a kid?


  • Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#176 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

    Graduate Bench Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Joined: 24-June 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glen Cove, Key Penisula, Wa.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Also appreciate you contributing Frank's name as Knapper's successor. That was the first commercial track I ever drove on, and remains the best overall layout configuration ever IMO, short straights, long straight, uphill, downhill esses, variety like the Targa Florio. Could have used a BIT of banking on those flat corners, LOL, but that was the learning "curve".

WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT TRACK? The pieces must have gone into storage or somebody's garage. Need pictures to re-create it.

 

The only picture I know of is on a page in an issue of the old Model Car Journals that are now available on DVD.


Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway





#177 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

    Graduate Bench Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Joined: 24-June 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glen Cove, Key Penisula, Wa.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

And here is the only picture I know of. the track that a few of us learned to respect. The 6 lane "Riverside Long Course" at Knappers, built somewhere around 1961/2. Visible in the picture are two well known LA/Orange County. pros- Doug Henline and Dave Grant.     The track I learned to drive on. Imagine Jail Doors and pre JD cars on this track. What isn't immediately obvious is the down hill sweeper, turn 9 at Riverside, tightened up as in decreasing radius and then went off camber into turn one.  

 

Knappers.jpg  


Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway


#178 Gary Donahoe

Gary Donahoe

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Joined: 14-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hendersonville, NC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Miniture or monaco grand prix on baldwin, leon's on colorado and arcadia grand prix on live oak, all in arcadia,ca.

 

I raced at Leon’s on Colorado as well, from opening day until it closed. Leon Paradee was a mentor, someone who I learned so much from.  I think I can speak for Rick Thigpen, aka DC-65X, to say that our time spent with Leon was very enjoyable, educational, and special to our formative youth.



 



#179 sub006

sub006

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined: 23-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

THANKS for making my day with the Frank's/Knapper's track picture, Tom!  Now the out-of-staters can see what I was talking about, a lot of challenging action in a limited space. 

 

Anyone remember the name of the owner before Knapper?  He must have been one of the very early (1963-'64) pioneers of commercial slot racing in Southern California.  Like to know what he did post-Revell Raceways after 1967 or so.


Jim Smith

#180 sub006

sub006

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined: 23-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

There was also a modified figure 8 in the basement of the Orange Bicycle Shop right off the circle in Orange. And I believe the same family still owns it, sans Slot Car Track.

 

Funny what activates the synapses of memory. Your mention of the bike shop basement track reminded me of an article on pro slot racing in Car and Driver (the 1/1 scale car magazine) mostly about the pro John (as they spelled it) "Soookrus". I think Brock Yates wrote the piece, and it mentioned the SMELL of a crowded raceway, electricity, light gear oil, perspiration. I immediately flashed back to the aroma that greeted you when you descended the stairs into that stuffy underground lair.  

 

Most of those ground-floor shops on the west side of South Glassell are now antique shops. Another school and college classmate of mine, now a real estate investor, today owns about half of the Plaza Circle.


Jim Smith

#181 don.siegel

don.siegel

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • Joined: 17-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Paris, France

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

"Soooo-krus... the Sound of Money (a five figure income from slot-car racing?)", by Leon Mandel. Car & Driver, January 1969. 

 

They were all trying to be Tom Wolfe ("The Right Stuff", etc.) at the time - but this was actually a very well written article in my opinion. 

 

There was an article about the surviving slot racers in France at about this time, in a French magazine, and the author also started out by evoking that special atmosphere from what was often basement tracks. 

 

For me, curiously enough, it was about 20 years ago, when I got back into slots: I saw a photo of one of those typical Aurora black and yellow boxes of Model Motoring track, and it immediately triggered the very typical odor of the new plastic when you opened the box - totally unexpected, since I hadn't done HO in many years, and it wasn't at all what I had started collecting at the time.. 

 

Don 



#182 Jens Scale Racing

Jens Scale Racing

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Joined: 09-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Germany

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

In 1970 I joined the "Noris Racing Club" with a Minerva eight-lane track called Watkins Glen type. We raced the "plastic chassis" PdL is loving.  :D
 
More (poor quality) pics to find here, but it is a great memory because I received these pics this morning - 43 years later:  Noris racing club.
 
dias-1969-8.jpg


Dieter "DJ" Jens
JSR gallery

#183 gas

gas

    Backmarker

  • Full Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined: 28-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Some very well-dressed racers...

George Ewing

Retired USAF, retired Ford service tech.


#184 Harley Robison

Harley Robison

    Rookie Keyboard Racer

  • Full Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined: 17-March 13

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

LeMans Raceway in Newark, OH, back in the '60s. Family by the name of Stewart owned it and if memory serves, one of their sons ended up sponsored and racing out west.

Early on there were two tracks, American yellow copy and a King. Track eventually went through a few owners and locations and finally was junked.

Also a track in nearby Granville in a bowling alley, can't remember any track details.

#185 sub006

sub006

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined: 23-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Looking at your picture again today, my eyes trace around the track and my right trigger finger flexes automatically!
 
Funny, because I used thumb controllers exclusively back in the day. Must be my "inner Russkit" surfacing.


Jim Smith

#186 Phil Nyland

Phil Nyland

    On The Lead Lap

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined: 12-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SoCal

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Lots of cool memories on this thread! 

 

The first raceway I went to was Tiny's Hobbies, in old downtown Anaheim. They also had a dragstrip where you could run 12, 24, or if you dared, 36 volts. That's where I purchased my first motor, a Pittman 196, and my brother helped me build a car. A cigar box and controller was next. That summer all interest turned from building model cars into building slot cars.

 

Around the corner from Tiny's was Betz Speed and Color. Stan Betz was the master of mixing candies, pearls, and metalflakes. He would pour all the remnants on his window ledge and let them run down the building; it was a nostalgic rainbow.

 

The other tracks in the neighborhood were Daytona Raceway at Lincoln & East St., and Riverside Raceway, at Lincoln & Rio Vista. Both tracks were replicas of the real tracks. 

 

I thought I was pretty good, until my freinds Brian Warmack and John Tore Anderson would show up and kick my ***! Almost 50 years later now, and they still do, Damn some things never change.  :laugh2:


  • S.O. Watt and Tom Eatherly like this
9/11/??-7/10/24
Requiescat in Pace

#187 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

    Posting Leader

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • Joined: 28-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SoCal

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Good to hear from you, Phil. We'll be talking.

 

Hope to see ya at BPR soon.


Tom Eatherly

#188 Half Fast

Half Fast

    Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Joined: 02-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC, Long Island

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

The first track I ever ran on was Polk's in Manhattan. The first car I owned was a 1/32 Revell Jaguar XKE. Red plastic if my memory
Is correct. The year I'm embarrassed to say was, maybe 1964.

when a track opened in Astoria on Stiemway st which was in walking distance of home. It became my home track.

There used to be sooo many tracks between NYC and Long Island. the hard part was getting a ride out to the " Island "

Another track that I spent hours & hours at was Emmra. the home of the 475 ft monster track. It truly was a one of a kind. It's a
Shame that it was put out with the garbage when the track closed. It deserved to be put into a museum for future generations of slot racers to experience.

 

I too began at Polk's Hobbies in Manhattan where I lived and also in the 1964-68 time frame. My first car was a Revell 1/32 Porsche 904.

 

I then graduated to building "Jail Door" 1/24s and racing them at Polk's.

 

The track on Steinway Street had a fabulous handbuilt road course downstairs that had a unique feature: the lanes going into one turn converged so that you had to pass either before or after or you collided. The track went out of business soon after.

 

I was hoping to graduate to 1/1 scale race cars, but Roger Penske never called, the buzzard.

 

Cheers,


  • George Blaha likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

 

 

 
 

#189 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

    Checkered Flag in Hand

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Joined: 29-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northlake, TX

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Bill, our paths must have crossed back then.

 

I remember Billy showing me the track downstairs when it was under construction and talking about teams for a six-hour enduro but it never happened.


Fred Correnti

#190 Jencar17

Jencar17

    JenCar17

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined: 04-March 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minervanien

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

In 1970 I joined the "noris racing club" with a Minerva 8-lane track called Watkins Glen type. We raced the "plastic chassis" PdL is loving :D

 

More (poor quality) pics to find here, but it is a great memory because I received these pics this morning - 43 years later:  http://www.jens-slot...1969/index.html

 

dias-1969-8.jpg

 

Watkins Glen in "Minervanien":

 

 

 

:victory:


  • Gator Bob likes this
Jens Graf

#191 Half Fast

Half Fast

    Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Joined: 02-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC, Long Island

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Bill, our paths must have crossed back then.
 
I remember Billy showing me the track downstairs when it was under construction and talking about teams for a six-hour enduro but it never happened.


Yes, Fred, our paths probably did cross, but you are a long way from Steinway Street now. :D
 
Another track I raced at in Queens was a track under the el on Roosevelt Ave; it had a very large 220 foot Engleman type track.
 
I also raced at Glen Oaks which for me was a beast to get to: 7 train to the end and then a bus!  But it did have a nice bagel bakery close by.

 

It had the first King type track I ever saw. I thought the layout was pretty good, but we have too many of them now. We need more variety in track layout.
 
Cheers,


  • George Blaha likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

 

 

 
 

#192 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

    Checkered Flag in Hand

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Joined: 29-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northlake, TX

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yes, I raced at that track in Woodside and was a regular at Glen Oaks...


Fred Correnti

#193 penske

penske

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Joined: 13-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Saint James, NY

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Yes, Fred, our paths probably did cross, but you are a long way from Steinway Street now. :D
 
Another track I raced at in Queens was a track under the el on Roosevelt Ave; it had a very large 220 foot Engleman type track.

I also raced at Glen Oaks which for me was a beast to get to: 7 train to the end and then a bus! But it did have a nice bagel bakery close by.

It had the first King type track I ever saw. I thought the layout was pretty good, but we have too many of them now. We need more variety in track layout.


Hi Bill.

]I also raced and worked at Roosevelt Raceway. I wonder how many people understand what you meant by "under the el"?

Roosevelt was a huge raceway. they must have had at least four tracks there.

I also have fond memories of the owner's daughter. I think her name was Linda. She was older and owned a yellow '65 or '66 Impala. My first serious date. Those were good times.

Roger Ruggieri
  • Half Fast likes this
Roger Ruggieri

#194 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

    Checkered Flag in Hand

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Joined: 29-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northlake, TX

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Cool...
Fred Correnti

#195 Half Fast

Half Fast

    Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Joined: 02-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC, Long Island

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Roosevelt Raceway was indeed a huge place, but I don't think it lasted long.
 
For those who are curious "under the el" means a store located on a street where the subway tracks are elevated. over the street. Here the number 7 Flushing train tracks were right over the door of the raceway.
 
However I think the readers really want to know the details of you relationship with an "older woman". LOL. :D

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

 

 

 
 

#196 Vay Jonynas

Vay Jonynas

    Race Leader

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Joined: 29-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Ontario

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

I also have fond memories of the owner's daughter. I think her name was Linda. She was older and owned a yellow '65 or '66 Impala. My first serious date. Those were good times.

 
So was she any good on the track?
  
:huh:

Flatheads_Forever_small.jpg?width=1920&h


#197 sub006

sub006

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined: 23-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Let's just say she knew her way around a handful of controller as he hugged those curves.


Jim Smith

#198 sub006

sub006

    Mid-Pack Racer

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined: 23-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Stan Betz was the master of mixing candies, pearls, and metalflakes...

 
Stan relocated a couple of times, first to Lincoln, just west of Glassell in Olive in the early '70s. The shop was on the south side of the street, downhill in a strip of garages and shops. You might remember the long-lived Troy Burger stand about a block east of Glassel? 
 
Maybe 20 years later he moved to a new two-story building on the south side of Katella in Orange, just east of where Katella intersects Struck Avenue. He had a fairly big business mixing and selling paint, only worked on and painted his own project cars and those of friends. There seemed to be lots of trading of skills on these hobby jobs. I seem to recall a full custom-bodied car, maybe a very low and sleek '40s woody, on a late-model Corvette chassis. I think the Betz Speed and Color sign disappeared five or six years ago.  
 

Daytona Raceway Lincoln & East St...

 
Not the name I remember nor the shape of track (the shop was very narrow but long, two or three skinny tracks in a row against the east wall with the glass sales counters and display shelving on the west wall), but I bow to your details! 

The shop I remember was located east of East (!), facing but set far back from Lincoln on the north side of the street. This was at the east end of a south-facing strip of shops just before the 90-degree turn where west-facing shops continued south toward Lincoln. There was a Jack in the Box right at the front facing Lincoln, with a big parking lot and the "strip mall" behind. Was that the place?   
 
It was a fun joint around 1967 AIR.
Jim Smith

#199 ossamoto

ossamoto

    Rookie Keyboard Racer

  • Full Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Joined: 11-April 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Newnan, GA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

I raced mainly on the south side of Atlanta, GA, Westgate Mall, Headland-Delowe shopping center, Washington shopping center and I raced a lot at Decatur Speedway which lasted until the '80s.
Gary Quinn

#200 K-T

K-T

    Rookie Keyboard Racer

  • Full Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Indianapolis

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Raced at Yonkers and Scarsdale tracks from '65 to '67, mostly on Saturdays.

And boy, do I remember the reservation list and loooong lines for the Saturday afternoon races. I loved my little K&B Porsche 903 sidewinder and often nerfed my brother's Cox GT40 into the rails - sorry! (not).

The professional on duty was either the wife or kid of one of the owners as I remember. Oh yeah and the "No Drag Racing" sign - they used to get really PO'd if you all lined up at the top of the straight to drag race because people not racing would hit you and come off, or sometimes if guys had hot motors, it would trip the circuit breakers when they all floored it at the same time.

After a few years off, I came back to racing in '78 at Elmsford Raceway and ran the USRA Nats East Coast circuit for a while. Now living in Indianapolis. (That's right, Ernie - you STILL don't have my current address.)
  • George Blaha likes this
Dave Hazelton





Electric Dreams Online Shop