Bob what is the race date?
"Rods and Rails" discussion and car show
#851
Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:06 PM
Matt Sheldon
Owner - Duffy's SlotCar Raceway (Evans, CO)
#852
Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:52 PM
Hi Matt,
Race date is May 16, 2015 .... and the stars come out @ 11AM
![]()
Bob Israelite
#853
Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:06 PM
Hmmm, a pair of "hairys" dueling it out, Now it is getting interesting !!
#854
Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:43 PM
50 cars .....WOW!!
#855
Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:42 AM
Here is the layout of the Olds chassis. Almost finished with the duplicate motor mount. Just a final clean up and a tumble. I made "front " motor mounts out of flat stock to support the opposite side of the motor. Crappy original design expected 2 little solder joints to support that heavy motor and keep everything aligned. Just don't see it working as originally designed. I figure with those tall tires I would shoot for a 4 to 1 gear ratio. Any ideas on an ideal final drive ratio with the Kemtrons ?
This chassis would be super light if it wasn't for those two masses of motor ![]()
- hiline2 likes this
Joe Lupo
#856
Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:42 PM
Well balanced & should do well
#858
Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:23 PM
Paul, You need two people just to get it into the slot ![]()
In the words of Mr. Miyagi: "First must have balance Daniel-Son"
Bob, I would have to build a 4 motor Mickey Thompson-esque/ Tommy Ivo-type car to out pull your beast.
Hmmm, lemee see, I got 4 Kemtrons here and some brass - NO NO NO SOMEBODY STOP ME ! ![]()
- Gator Bob and SlotStox#53 like this
Joe Lupo
#859
Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:42 PM
![]()
I was thinking a pick-up truck body on it might be better for pullin...
With 4 model car tires they would spin the whole way like the real 'Hairy' one. ![]()
Bob Israelite
#860
Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:18 PM
Im in on " 1 "
<--------PU
LL------->
#861
Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:26 PM
Look like Padlock FEVER strikes again. Haven't found a remedy....but who's lookin.
I vote YES pull!!!!!!
#862
Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:49 PM
I'm with Bill. Maybe it's a class for next year???? Or at least we will find out why maybe it shouldn't be a class???
I'm glad it isn't my car or controller!!
#864
Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:15 PM
Just wrong on so many levels including the price. And whats with that K-B on the side? Very odd indeed.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item5b063f0df4
Joe Lupo
#865
Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:34 AM
It looks like maybe a spring wound motor ? ![]()
#866
Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:07 AM
Kemtron questions. Moving forward on the HHO.
1. Are these motors timed neutral? They seem to run the same both ways but that's only by ear.
2. On one of my motors the wires came loose from the com but did not break. I resoldered it and it works fine. On some tabs very little solder was used. I was thinking of putting a tiny dot of Crazy glue or epoxy at the joints. Don't want to go resoldering evey tab and I am not taking the motors apart. Any thoughts?
3. Samiam has offered to zap my motors with a Triktrax. I have never used or even seen one in use. Can anyone tell me how we should position the motor? Even a crude drawing will do if a pic is not available. Thanks
Joe Lupo
#867
#868
Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:42 PM
My team seems to be complete, and will soon be fedexing its way across the Atlantic.... came up with a rail dragster after all, even tho the body looks more like a rod.... it's the lightened Russkit frame I may have already shown on here somewhere, and a Ram 857 from the spares box that seemed to have a bit of oomph!
Don
- Gator Bob likes this
#869
Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:51 PM
#870
Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:17 PM
Gotta say, Don... you have a very nice selection of cars and a good choice of classes, too.
Bob Israelite
#872
Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:46 PM
Update on the Unlimited...
The donor motor I found at an electronics surplus store. What caught my eye was the end bell hardware, and size. A few people have said they believe it's an R/C motor. Had to turn down the arm diameter to fit into the Pittman 65 laminations and make the adapter to mount the endbell. A couple of bearings and neos and she zings. ![]()
My original plan was Magnesium rails, that is till Mr. Bozo paid me a visit.
Cut the rails to short behind the motor, into the scrap barrel. Luckily had a set of aluminum rails on the shelf, they are thicker and heavier then the mag ones but worked out fine. Still need to make wheelie bars, front axle and body.
- hiline2, Lone Wolf, miko and 2 others like this
#873
Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:49 PM
Looks at the bare rails sitting on the table, better get my rear in gear and finish it
#874
Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:52 PM
Making a little progress. Chassis is taking shape. I drilled and taped the pinions for dual grub screws. Made up a guide holder etc. Final polish,leads etc. to be added.
Since this came from the scrap heap and the chrome is shot etc. I figured I would try my hand at a weathered version. Primed it in red oxide like they used back in the day. When I sand the gold and black the red will show through. Body will sit lower when bolted down.
- miko likes this
Joe Lupo
#875
Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:55 PM
I love dual motor madness!
Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...
























