It is with deep sadness to report the passing of one of racing's all-time greats - Rick Davis.
Rick had unparalleled success across the spectrum of model car racing at the highest levels. Rick was an engineer by education and was renowned for his meticulous craftsmanship in everything he did. He ran the storied Three-D's Bike & Hobby in Gross Pointe, MI, taking his generational family business into the stratosphere of big-time slot car racing, hosting some of the largest and well-attended HO races of the late 1970s into the 1990s. He hosted many regular-season HOPRA races on the Michigan circuit, but his "Winter Nationals" became second only to the HOPRA Nationals in stature and prestige, annually attracting an international crowd.
Rick cut his teeth in 1/32 slot car racing in and around the Detroit metropolitan area. He quickly was dominating the local scene and moved into 1/24 racing. During the NCC National Championship six-race series, he participated in several events, placing on the podium in third place at the Louisiana Grand Prix at Model Car Raceways in Metairie, LA. Only Mike Steube and Lee Gilbert finished ahead of him, and he placed above Joel Montague, Tom Hansen, John Anderson, and many others.
When the first 1/24 Nationals took place in 1971 at Parma, there was effectively a warm-up race conducted only a few months prior. Rick beat all comers that day, including such iconic names as Jan Limpach (Nationals Champion in 1972, 1974, and 1978) and eventual inaugural champion Dan Bloodworth. Rick also won one of the most well-attended 1/24 races ever, with over 167 entries.
Rick discovered R/C racing that summer of 1971 and immediately switched from slot cars to 1/8 gas R/C racing. By 1980 he was the ROAR National Champion.
Besides hosting so many wonderful races in his shop, Rick was likely the pre-eminent HO track designer of his day. At the 1984 HOPRA Nationals, Rick finished again on the podium in third place.
Rick Davis was a pioneer, innovator, and master-craftsman. He was known throughout the racing community as always willing to help. Those who took his keen advice were always faster as a result.
In the tide of seasons in model car racing, one would struggle to come up with a name, across the span of scales and classes, to match the success of Rick Davis. A record that took Rick to the pinnacles of 1/32, 1/24, and HO scales of slot cars and a national championship in 1/8 gas R/C racing.
Rick was a true friend to many inside and outside of his model racing activities. When we last visited at his home in person only several months ago, I told him he was truly on the Mount Rushmore of scale racing. As always, he laughed as only he could.
Rest in peace, my friend. Our prayers are with you and your family.
Rick Davis, ?-2022
#1
Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:11 PM
- Cheater, Gene/ZR1, slotcarone and 8 others like this
#2
Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:27 PM
Mark,
Thanks for posting.
Even though he wasn't a seller of the caliber of Lee or Tony, three chassis Gods have passed in less than a month and a half.
May Rick rest in peace.
Mike Swiss
Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
Former IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559
#7
Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:06 PM
More sad news. Rick was an extremely talented individual and possesed immortal mechanical abilities. RIP!
Matt Sheldon
Owner - Duffy's SlotCar Raceway (Evans, CO)
#8
Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:25 PM
Really hate to hear this.
Rick wasn't a prolific poster, but he was definitely one of the early members at Slotblog, having joined on July 5, 2006.
RIP, Rick.
- Steve Deiters and David Reed like this
Gregory Wells
Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap
#9
Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:36 PM
Very sad to hear his. I knew Rick when I lived in Michigan and took trips to 3-D's and also knew him from Michigan and Tri-State HOPRA events.
#10
Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:49 PM
Thanks for the memories, Mark...
I remember Rick Davis as a threat, coming down from Detroit... I did not know he was so prominent with 1/32, back in those days there were probably as now 1/32 home tracks with the coolest pure sidewinder cars that weighed a ton. Those guys did not usually mix with the 1/24 guys. Ken put together a race on the road course in the back and I guess i finished second to Rick but I completely forgot about that race LOL...
Those were the days when you needed an inside line on the power setup chargers and AC leakage being popularly discussed. At the Elyria Nationals I tried to break-in a new motor in Elyria and I dont know what voltage Paul had the charger on but that was the fastest I ever saw one of my cars go until it locked up in the bank... LOL. Article says bloody leadwire came off, probably melted off hot motor...
When we went to eat we took over a restaurant 20-30 people and Mike Stephans and I had food fights, that's what i remember...
- Steve Deiters likes this
#11
Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:04 PM
This could have been our local groups theme as the knowledge of Parma's power and track surface seemed to trip up many, many out-of-towners LOL.
#13
Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:33 PM
Rick in 1970 at the Louisiana GP where he finished third. I raced against Rick twice, both times on a 220', both times he beat me. Rick is at the far right.
Rest in peace, Rick.
Photo from Bruce Paschal’s estate.
- Steve Deiters and NSwanberg like this
Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises
Team Camen
Chassis By Hansen
I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway
#14
Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:05 PM
Do not recall seeing Rick at 1/24 races. Did see him at many 1/8 R/C events. Member of of Team Associated. Rember just how darn fast he was. I believe he did most of development work on the RC500 four-wheel drive car.
RIP, Rick.
#15
Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:16 PM
Rick in 1970 at the Louisiana GP where he finished third. I raced against Rick twice, both times on a 220', both times he beat me. Rick is at the far right.
Rest in peace, Rick.
Photo from Bruce Paschal’s estate.
Joel's pants look like he was fifty years ahead of his time.
#16
Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:38 PM
A few more from the vault:
#19
Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:54 PM
#20
Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:23 PM
October in the south and probably still hot enough for a haze of "stick-it" in the air, i took to wearing coveralls to not get tire stuff everywhere on me lol lots of memorries
#21
Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:32 PM
Rick was a meticulous builder. He may not have built as many chassis as some others but he almost never built two alike. Always going for little bit more.
RIP, Rick.
- Steve Deiters, NSwanberg and Matt Sheldon like this
#22
Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:21 AM
This one hurts real bad. At one of his Winter Nats he extended what I consider to be one of the greatest kindnesses ever in my slot car racing. It was the era where we had just started using cobalts in the G+ chassis. I think it was the second one I built and I hit it just about as right as I could do. It ran well. I moved up into one of the semis but in the move up race with about 20 seconds to go I T-boned another car and the front half of the car broke right off. I was nearly in tears. Rick grabs the parts and drags me into his back room. Pulls something out called Epoxe Patch. Mixes up a batch smears it all over the pieces sets it down on a steel block and tells me we will know after the first semi is over whether or not you can use it in your semi. I did not make the move up into the main but the car hardly missed a beat. Rick was an innate mechanical genius.
None of us ae getting any younger. Peace be with all of us....somehow.
- Cheater, Steve Deiters, Mr. HP and 3 others like this
Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
"Death before disco!" Wanda from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618
Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven
#24
Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:07 AM
I might be wrong, but I believe that Rick Davis won the 1966 Indy 500 race at Parma. The race was run on Ken's figure 8 track that was in the front of the store. Davis won in so many different types of scale cars that it boggles the mind. RIP, Rick.
- elvis44102 likes this
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion
#25
Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:16 PM
I met Rick at one of the R4s. Can't remember which one, but he brought a box-o-chassis for sale. Must have been about 30-35 in the box. Had a sign on it $50 apiece. I think I bought two or three F1 chassis. Beautiful craftsmanship.
- Steve Deiters likes this
Bobby Robinson RN, BMTCN
"Nobody rides for free." - Jackson Browne, 1980
"Positivity and optimism can overcome a lot of things." - Tom Brady, 2019
"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson





















