#151 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi

Pablo, the metal around the hinge rarely survived a couple heats without getting sloppy. When sloppy, the car would mysteriously just punt off the track nose first. Turned a lot of kids from racing, that. So, resore, improve or not, I don't think re-sleaving the hinge and improving it is a bad thing.

I have one of those rod chassis in a box, I don't remember where or how I got it. I never bought in the day, but built, but this one might have been in a box that was part of a trade or something. Like you, I always ask Philippe!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#152 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

Thanks, Rocky........I have some SS tube that will do the trick :D

Those Delrin gears are so sweet, but I hate those big ugly plastic axle spacers :blush:

Paul Wolcott

#153 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

Actually the AMT white ( really cream colored) gears were a good deep-toothed gear that were a lot more concentric than the Cox gears. Not all the white gears were AMT but an AMT gear should have AMT molded in.
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#154 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

I've already posted this one on other threads in the past, but I thought it was worth another look, in this context: the heftiest princess you may ever see, with just a soupçon of toad about her...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, in case you're wondering, that's a 4-wheel drive vehicle with an electromagnetic brake! It's in the normally on position, so that the brake shoe only releases when you apply the current - very strange to drive, but I only tried it once on the track... That's a Ram DC857 I think, or similar Pittman, in a very nice scratch-built chassis...

What I've never been able to figure it is what body it was intended for - my first thought was an Indy Turbine, but the big motor rules that out.... possibly a jalopy type car, since the body mounts are relatively narrow (I added the tubes for its road test), and the solenoid could be seen as a kind of gas tank.... When I found it, it had these wheels, but I think with sponge tires - and two bent axles, which may be indicative of its handling capabilities...

Oh yeah: the other complications, as we say in the luxury watch business, are a drop arm (of course!) and a reversing switch...)

Don
  • MarcusPHagen likes this

#155 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

And from the very early days of slot racing, found this on ebay, sold by the son of the guy who had built it, probably back in the late 50s - Merit Vanwall body and some huge choo-choo motor....

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a variation on a theme - with clay!
Posted Image

#156 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

:shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok:

-john
John Havlicek

#157 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

WOW, are those cocoons ? That might be an old 'Spider Rider ". :laugh2: I've got and old K&B Ford GT with the same affliction...
Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#158 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

Very cool! I LOVE history!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#159 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Wow, I belive the 4-wheel drive car has more "stuff" going on per inch than any slot car I've ever seen! :)

All three are nice and very period. The old boys might not be fast but were full of class!
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#160 Edo

Edo

The Kinkie Thingie Kingie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:21 AM

Here is a little Toad I picked up while you were sleeping :laugh2:

Posted Image

Pablo,

I must have been sound asleep, 'cause that's a beauty and I would've snatched it away from your sweaty paws in an instant! :)

Anyway, please leave it as is, just turn down those tires and put some Trinity Tire Tweaker on them and go race it!

Hey,

I got one of those Indy "racing gas tank" (BTW what body is that?) :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dressed with a K&B Cougar (Mabuchi 13D?):

Posted Image

Which looks like it's been rewound, although by the time the car has completed a lap I've fallen asleep.

It's now geared way too tall, so I will change the gear ratio and hope for a bit of more punch:

As a bonus, since it's Friday, here's a Porsche Porsche, with a Champion 26D and 4WD (this one also needs a gear ratio change):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BTW Look how cute this whatchamacallit wheel thing:

Posted Image

Supercute, innit?

E

PS I know, I know, it was already published a couple of years ago but there is always new blood interested here (hopefully).
EdoTBertoglio - Maverick assembler (formerly troubled)

Finish Line: the movie

#161 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:13 AM

Interesting 4WD Edo! Those are the Strombecker bullet hubcaps I believe, that they put in their 007 Aston-Martin and a lot of other cars... And it looks like the 26D shaft is a long one, so somebody must have rebuilt the motor with a totally new shaft - makes it all the more curious that he uses those old Revell stamped crown gears!

Don

PS: and a drop arm of course...

#162 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

Boy, you guys sure do find some lovely and interesting cars...although Don seems to have the touch for finding the real oddballs! :) Super-neat car Pablo, I wouldn;t touch a thing either!

Cia Edo,

Yes, the 13UO Mabuchis were (I think) really aimed at the home track market, which in those days had nothing to do with that beauty of a track of yours. You can gear that thing until the cows come home and won't get much out of it. Still, they're cute motors and not as common I guess today. They can be "massaged" to get some more oomph out of them, but the endbell will be a puddle on the track after a lap or two. The magnets aren't really upgradeable either without going to some exotic measures. Best to just enjoy the little guy as-is!

-john
John Havlicek

#163 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

"Here's one, found like this on Ebay:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here the Dynamic 2J handling body "kissed" by our own Mr J.Watson into this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Motor was a very precious U-Go which I kept for a special Thing(ie), which really needs it, and decided instead to mount a 16D BB Mura mag 88:

Posted Image

Front wheels were also changed since the original ones were way to modern.

How is that, gentlemen? Feel better now?"

WOW!!
I REALLY LOVE this one!!!
Did Jairus restore the body or is a re-pop of the original?
It reminds me of a more thingified version of the Chaparral :D
I thought Dokk was going to come here and tell us what that body really is or am I misunderstanding again?
(it's hell when you get old and have burned through way too many brain cells in your lifetime!) ;) ;)
Thomas J Scott
1955-2018
Requiescat in Pace

#164 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

[quote name='Edo' date='Dec 4 2009, 01:21 AM' post='207328'

Supercute, innit?

[/quote]

Innit?

Hey Edo, you must live in southern Switzerland! :)

The 4-wheel drive Porsche is actually well crafted.
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#165 Edo

Edo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

...Did Jairus restore the body or is a re-pop of the original?

Hi Tom,

yes indeed, Jairus restored that body and made it real pretty, did'nt he. (BTW It's a Dynamic Handling Chaparral 2J)

Hey Edo, you must live in southern Switzerland!

I do, Don, I do, that's why I have that accent ;)

#166 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

Boy, you guys sure do find some lovely and interesting cars...although Don seems to have the touch for finding the real oddballs! :) Super-neat car Pablo, I wouldn;t touch a thing either!

Cia Edo,

Yes, the 13UO Mabuchis were (I think) really aimed at the home track market, which in those days had nothing to do with that beauty of a track of yours. You can gear that thing until the cows come home and won't get much out of it. Still, they're cute motors and not as common I guess today. They can be "massaged" to get some more oomph out of them, but the endbell will be a puddle on the track after a lap or two. The magnets aren't really upgradeable either without going to some exotic measures. Best to just enjoy the little guy as-is!

-john

Hi John - you're right, I really like the unusual cars, and fortunately manage to find a few that others don't see - but it was easier 10 years ago! I have a few soulmates, however, like Joel (Merkit the Grof) who mostly posts on SlotForum I think - everytime I see his box of oddities I feel like I'm looking in the mirror!

Did you notice that long shaft 26D for the 4WD? Might give you some ideas, eh? Our friend Tom Malone did an article in Car Model about interesting experiments along these lines, including 4WD cars with a Tradeship differential on one end - and he talks about using a long shaft in one of his rewinds.

The 13Ds run okay on longer tracks too, club type, but it's true they lack the punch of their bigger brothers. One speed secret I read about at the time was to grind down a set of Versitec magnets to fit inside - got an extra 4 hours for a project??? I've seen some 13Ds run very well in our vintage races, but either they have the secret to tuning these, or they were using modern magnets... Have you played around with the old 13Ds at all?

Don

#167 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hi

The body is a Watson rear engined indy car of about 64, marketed I think by Lancer in about 66.

The body was also made in polyproplene in 1/32 by Scaley.

the 13uo arm looks stock. And would be a 140/34 wind. The motor bracket is the unit that came with the Revell SP40 motor. In the day, I built several chassis similar to this attempting to use the 16ds with the same can mount/snap ring. Usually resulted in popping the floating bushing and replacing it with something that didn't move!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#168 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hi

There were a lot of ways used then and now to punch up the 13uos. How much do you want to know?

The easiest was simple, remove the magnets, cut out the sides of the can, epoxy in a set of 16d magnets and paint to match the can!

The motor came out in '65 and i went crazy building 1/32s around it for my Revell track.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#169 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hi John - you're right, I really like the unusual cars, and fortunately manage to find a few that others don't see - but it was easier 10 years ago! I have a few soulmates, however, like Joel (Merkit the Grof) who mostly posts on SlotForum I think - everytime I see his box of oddities I feel like I'm looking in the mirror!

Funny thing Don that, as these things have "aged", their cool factor has multiplied. Back then people probably would have just shrugged at these things, but now when we look at the ingenuity that was involved it's pretty amazing what people did. If course, these things come from a time when (because of "run-what-you-brung") a race might have all kinds of disparate cars running against each other.

Did you notice that long shaft 26D for the 4WD? Might give you some ideas, eh? Our friend Tom Malone did an article in Car Model about interesting experiments along these lines, including 4WD cars with a Tradeship differential on one end - and he talks about using a long shaft in one of his rewinds.

Yes I saw that and it DID get me thinking (you read me like a book :) ). Since I've been forced to start replacing shafts on some motors I can make them as long as I want, although my drill blanks are only 2 1/8". In any case, I have other material to make looooong shaft arms and I think that's a much better way to get 4WD than two motors. Heck, I even still have one of those newfangled SCX motors with the super long shaft sitting around here.

The 13Ds run okay on longer tracks too, club type, but it's true they lack the punch of their bigger brothers. One speed secret I read about at the time was to grind down a set of Versitec magnets to fit inside - got an extra 4 hours for a project??? I've seen some 13Ds run very well in our vintage races, but either they have the secret to tuning these, or they were using modern magnets... Have you played around with the old 13Ds at all?

Sure, the 13UOs could be tweaked, but like you say it's going to be a lot of effort. Actually, there are modern magnets that should either fit or be darned close like the above-mentioned SCX magnets. They're surprisingly powerful too considering their size and not being cobalts. Besides the magnets, the endbell would definitely need addressing...but I don't see why a 13UO couldn't be massaged into something a bit more thrilling. The motor's a natural for a skinny GP car. I haven't messed-around with one yet and will someday. Edo's K&B Cougar is about as dandy an example of the 13UO as I've seen recently. Of course...I'm partial to all things K&B :)

-john
John Havlicek

#170 Edo

Edo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

Gentlemen,

a man's got to do what a man's got to do!

So when I found this Indy Porsche Porsche (another one?!) on Ebay in dire, appalling and grim condition, I could not not think about having it restored to its former glory (and then some):

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, who else but John "the H" Dilworth, Body for Beer's CEO, could possibly do this ungrateful task?

And here's the result:

Posted Image

Motors are two Russkit 23's:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The JDilworth even repopped the Dynamic body and painted it beautifully like the Big Boy he is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wheels are Russkit replica from the Arodyn/Thigpen Wheel Factory with BWA Lotus inserts.

And here's the biggest collection of Indy Porsche Porsche in the world:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tatty Bye now!

E

#171 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

Very cool, your hines!
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#172 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

porsche porsche, porsche porsche, porsche porsche.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#173 Edo

Edo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

porsche porsche, porsche porsche, porsche porsche.

Yep Tony,

and if I had a daughter I would call her Porscha :laugh2:

Anyway, here's some period chassis which might become a car, one day:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#174 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

Your E, lovely cr*p! :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#175 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Boy, this thread is becoming like getting to the track on Saturday afternoon. Forty two years ago!! :)
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

Electric Dreams Online Shop