• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#126 marc

marc

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

nice job ! oh by the way the jet driers tend to slightly oil the track surface with residue, mix that with damp air and trying to run on the transition of the bank and you got yerself a slip and slide .......thats what they mean with a caution flag ,, be careful !!!

anyways that one,s over.. now on the putting your hands on your head during a crash , whats the general rule on doing that ?
lock up the brakes put your hands on your head and careene in to the crash area like a bowling ball ??

maybe those idea's needs some more work ??
Marc Ronhock

#127 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Smart driver get their hands off the steering wheel when impacting something... saves getting a broken wrist.

LM

#128 marc

marc

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

good tip , i can see doing that in a open wheel car with rack steering , but shouldn't you look to see where you going to land before you stop steering ? or just leave it to the car to find its own impact area . i was alway told on a banked raceway to turn hard left and lock the brakes and spin the car out.
Marc Ronhock

#129 flem1959

flem1959

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

I like watching short tracks and road courses myself.
Mike Fleming

#130 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Modern driving position in enclosed cars requires the driver to be much closer to the wheel, with the arms bent to allow maximum torque with minimal physical effort. Because the steering wheel is so close to the thorax, there is no room other than against one's chest to place your arms and hands out of harm in case of a crash where the steering wheel will rotate wildly and out of one's control. It is the best thing that drivers can do to protect themselves, and both Danica and Johnson did exactly the right thing.
I still have a broken little finger on my right hand for having failed to do exactly that when my car spun on me once, and I was lucky to not have had my hand twisted in it and a broken arm.

Regarding Patrick, I have no particular sympathy for the woman, but after the crash in which she was a victim and not a perpetrator, she ran the rest of the race in the pack and behaved as well as anyone, and at the end of the day, gained a few spots through attrition. Good job.

Philippe de Lespinay

#131 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

I agree with you Dokk,

I'm guilty of poking fun at Danica myself but gee wiz, you can't help but feel a little sorry for the poor kid!
She was just another victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time on this one.

Vic
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#132 Jacob Shiplet

Jacob Shiplet

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

According the Nielsen, the race last night drew 14.5 million viewers. I would say thats a pretty good draw considering the powerful lineups on other channels.
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

#133 Dr. Gamma

Dr. Gamma

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

At our neighborhood coffee clutch this morning, all of the neighbors were talking about was the barbecue that Juan More Time started on the track last night. Thats all they were talking about. But not one of them could name who won the race!!!

Whats Nascar going to do for an encore??? Maybe some Joie Chitwood Thrill Show style ramps on the backstraight at PIR!!! The new breed of Nascar fans would love it. Didn't someone here say Nascar is more in the entertainment business, than the business of racing.

Robert Kickenapp, AKA RRB (Road Race Bob or when I fell down, I became Road Rash Bob)

"Honest, I swear its stock"  My answer to tech officials at post race teardown many a time.

That bike wouldn't do 150mph if you dropped it down a mineshaft!!!

#134 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Whats Nascar going to do for an encore??? Maybe some Joie Chitwood Thrill Show style ramps on the backstraight at PIR!!! The new breed of Nascar fans would love it. Didn't someone here say Nascar is more in the entertainment business, than the business of racing.

That "program" ALWAYS worked well for Humpy Wheeler at Charlotte not Lowe's Speedway ;)

#135 Champion 507

Champion 507

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

The 2012 Daytona 500...the race that seemed like it would never start and the race that seemed like it would never end.
Doug Azary
"We offer prompt service... no matter how long it takes!"
"We're not happy unless you're not happy"
"You want it when?"

#136 ShootinSparks

ShootinSparks

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

At our neighborhood coffee clutch this morning, all of the neighbors were talking about was the barbecue that Juan More Time started on the track last night.

That barbeque was not his doing unless you want to assign partial blame for the speed he was running after having felt a vibration in the car. He was trying to catch back up to the pack after a pit stop to have it looked at, I believe. I was not watching the race at that point; I caught commentators talking about it when I turned to the channel a couple of minutes after the impact.

He was very fortunate that he wasn't seriously injured because from the (admittedly limited) views of the crash, because of the direction of the spin; it looked like the impact was very close to the driver area of his car. It would be all too easy for a piece of that jet truck to be at just the right height and shape to punch into the car and go right at his head or neck.

John Robeson

#137 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

The luckiest guy IMO was the Dryer Driver.

#138 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I don't know... the truck's cabin was totally intact, but look at JPM's car, the engine was torn from it! I'd say JPM is the lucky one here.

Philippe de Lespinay

#139 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

JPM's car was built to withstand impacts such as that. The dryer's truck was not

#140 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,335 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

They both were fortunate to walk away without any serious injuries.
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#141 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Well I think it's safe to say that this 500 will go down in the history books. :)
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#142 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

JPM's car was built to withstand impacts such as that. The dryer's truck was not

That would be true if the car had hit the FRONT of the truck. But it hit the truck like 15 feet behind the cabin, and you can clearly see on the video that there was ZERO damage to the cabin and in fact, most of the truck, until the fire erupted. So the driver was never in any danger and probably barely felt the bump. He certainly did not need a HANS... he got out and simply walked away.
JPM's car had its engine torn from it and he was very lucky that his legs were not taken at the same time. He looked like a bit shaken, if not stirred.

Philippe de Lespinay

#143 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

Retro Snob as of 1/12/2011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

So the driver was never in any danger and probably barely felt the bump. He certainly did not need a HANS... he got out and simply walked away.

OK, PDL drivers in production vehicles never experience whiplash as a result of a read end collision especially when hit by something that was traveling at the speed that JPM was traveling? Not saying he has it, but saying he barely felt a bump............

Rob Hanson

Shops at Mid-America Raceway and uses R-Geo Products

Rob was right!

#144 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Truck ca was in good shape, the rest of your observance must have been a diiferent 500 than I watched?

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#145 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

Retro Snob as of 1/12/2011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Do the track workers driving vehicles like the drier even wear seatbelts?

Rob Hanson

Shops at Mid-America Raceway and uses R-Geo Products

Rob was right!

#146 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

They are supposed to Rob. All non-emergency personnel are instructed to wear seat belts in vehicles on the track, particularly working the banked areas. Now whether or not he was, is a different story entirely.

MR

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#147 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

That would be true if the car had hit the FRONT of the truck. But it hit the truck like 15 feet behind the cabin, and you can clearly see on the video that there was ZERO damage to the cabin and in fact, most of the truck, until the fire erupted. So the driver was never in any danger and probably barely felt the bump. He certainly did not need a HANS... he got out and simply walked away.
JPM's car had its engine torn from it and he was very lucky that his legs were not taken at the same time. He looked like a bit shaken, if not stirred.

That's why the truck driver was lucky. If JPM's car had hit any more towards the cab, we wouldnt be calling the driver lucky. The cab would not have taken the impact.

#148 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Rob,
It is likely that he was belted because it has to be a requirement for liability reasons just in case of a mishap. As the truck was moving when the impact took place (even if at low speed), it is likely that the driver did not feel much of a bump because any motion in the same direction greatly decreases the amount of dynamic forces encountered. In testing helmets for impact in our Snell/FIA machine a few years back, I learned a lot about impacts and what can cause damage, with slight changes in angles causing the G numbers to jump many folds from just a few degrees.
Also the angle at which the car hit would not have caused much of a forward motion of the much heavier truck. The simple fact that, as can be seen on video, the guy simply opened the door and walked out and WATCHED before being summoned for a medical check, tells the story.
JPM is likely to have suffered a mild concussion from this, but it is unlikely that the truck driver encountered ANY damage or even a bruise. Time and reports will tell.

Philippe de Lespinay

#149 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think he was held at Halifax for awhile to see if he suffered from any serious inhalation of the burning jet fuel, then was released before the race was over with. I think they said on the local news he was a little sore from the impact but that was about it....and probably had a really dirty pair of underwear on after it happened

:laugh2:

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#150 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Kerosene is good for your lungs! :laugh2:

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop