• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,563 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Then why have a "squeeze" track at the end of the 'backstretch".  Could it be the ice and snow conditions?

That is a much nicer track than the one I don't have.

Bob Isrealite
My posts are like a trip to the dentist... they almost always hit a nerve.  :shok: 

Sensored.jpg

Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  

#122 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

One interesting fact about the track builder is that he has worked at Bentley since 1976!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

#123 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Here's another Facebook snag, unidentified, but it's gotta be a temporary track at a European event, possibly in Italy based on the Slot.it signage.

Two mirror-image tracks that abut along a straight. Looks like paired pickle-buckets for supports, too. How about those bridges so the marshals can get inside the tracks?

Can anyone tell us when and where this track was set-up?

track.jpg

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

#124 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

How many 127' foot HO tracks do you see? Not many...

And how many self-built HO tracks looks as good as this four-laner made by Ken Sheperd? Nice work, for sure...

127HO.jpg
Gregory Wells

#125 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

A Slotblog member has corrected my misinterpretation of the ownership of the track above, which was a Facebook find.

It was constructed and is owned by Ken Sheperd and I have made that correction to the above post. Track is located in Troy, MI.

Gregory Wells

#126 Maximo

Maximo

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

I love that Indy 300, wish there was one around somewhere!

I believe that it was manufactured by Mr. Raceways.

David Ray Siller
Thingies are my thingie!

#127 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Wow, that is one huge HO track! :shok: :D

#128 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,563 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Here's another Facebook snag, unidentified, but it's gotta be a temporary track at a European event, possibly in Italy based on the Slot.it signage.

Two mirror-image tracks that abut along a straight. Looks like paired pickle-buckets for supports, too. How about those bridges so the marshals can get inside the tracks?

Can anyone tell us when and where this track was set-up?

Pickle-buckets :laugh2: ...

I don't think I could win on that track :pardon: ... or even complete a lap at speed without a 25+ohm  :blush:

Bob Isrealite
My posts are like a trip to the dentist... they almost always hit a nerve.  :shok: 

Sensored.jpg

Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  

#129 Dennis David

Dennis David

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I like the workmanship but i don't really get the squiggles.

Dennis David

ncsra2.jpg

ncsra.jpg

#130 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

LOL about the squiggles if you think they would be tough to master?? You can only see part of the chicane which is just pass the bridge and Ken used to have two chicanes in the layout.

This track is fun for T-Jets to G3s. The club runs five classes: T-Jets, Fray, Magnatraction, Life-Like, G3 and their variants.

Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!

Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. http://simpsonswiki....Slot_Car_Heaven
PCSC-LOGO-1-small-1.jpg

#131 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

I remember racing on the chicane some years ago as a guest of Nelson and the HOCWNN. Ken is quite the craftsman and had made a staggered set of 5 inch (very tight even for HO) radius right-left-right chicanes, if memory serves (I was traumatized so that might affect the memory). They were staggered because the whole of the chicane turn was 5 inch radius ALL the way through for ALL the lanes! I think this was the biggest challenge I have ever faced racing on ANY track. Talk about a "home field advantage" for Ken!

This track required immense concentration just to know which end of the track you were racing on because you race from one end of the track to the other twice in one lap! Just follow it in the picture (if you can!) Knowing that there is a big end turn that goes around to the chicane, then under the bridge!

I think he had swapped that tight chicane out some time ago because it was just too much! One of the most fun days of racing, ever!

Keep it in THAT slot!

AJ

During my four years of Retro racing, I aspired to be a mediocre racer; my peers now assure me I am already there!

I think I know a lot about a number of subjects - I can come across as a "know-it-all". The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Home of the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#132 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Here's a couple of sectional tracks snagged from Ryan Hirashiki's Facebook timeline. No further info provided, so I have no idea where these two tracks are located.

hometrack.jpg

Unusual to see a 1/32 sectional track with this much bank. Lots of racing in what seems to be a compact footprint.

132.2.jpg

Gregory Wells

#133 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Here's the two six-lane slot car tracks at iCar Indoor club in Igualada, Barcelnoa, Spain, a "social club" founded in 1976 that races both slot cars (1/24 and 1/32) and R/C cars (1/10, 1/12, 1/18 scales, and Mini Z).

icar.jpg

This is the 1/24 track and is 64 meters (210') in length.

icar132.jpg

And this is the 1/32 track, which is 54 meters (177') long.
Gregory Wells

#134 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Greg,

The tracks in post #132 are at Nomad Raceway in San Diego!! Jim Cunningham's designs and doings!! They race Womps and 1/32 plastic cars on those babies!! Fun racing program!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#135 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Tim,

Thanks for that info.

Having met Jim and having seen a bunch of his cars, I know he's simply one of the most creative builders in the slot car world.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that his tracks would be that cool, too.

Gregory Wells

#136 Intimidator

Intimidator

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

I am not sure if Minks Memorial Raceway in Bloomington, IL still has this track but its certainly interesting.

496007036_b57e2958ec.jpg

496006972_7e9d8d9ac9.jpg

3088788455_d7bf390729.jpg

3089628012_3837663050.jpg

496039393_32b1a3f5c0.jpg

3088792955_523e870125.jpg

496007662_ceb169b2e5.jpg

I wish I had some technical details about the track but these photos are all that I have.

Mink's is now Ted's raceway. Track is still there, it is 288' total lap and 90' straight. Was built in the '60s by Ray Mink.

#137 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

hotshot.jpg

Wing racers need to be represented here also, so I am including the Hotshot, from SRC-Pforzheim in Germany, their description (computer translation) follows, 

The Hot Shot is a self-made sheet of MDF. It has two tracks and 34 m length of the route. The surface is painted five-fold. The power supply comes from 12 batteries. Lap counting and timing uses light barriers in conjunction with our fully automated computer program. Monitors transmit the race progress to various places in the race center. The web is actually the result of a bet out. Because the cars in a semicircle at the ceiling, then along and then in a semicircle back down. They are exclusively held aerodynamically above. We use the Hot Shot mainly for demonstration and testing purposes (top speed).

Their website is HERE.

#138 MarkH

MarkH

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

I saw this on Daily Lister. Ad says it just needs to be finished.

CorkScrew track.JPG

Mark Horne
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#139 Bob Emott

Bob Emott

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

And like many of the European club tracks, a bar in the background... Maybe that is what we need in the US club tracks...

Robert Emott, Jr
12/15/40-4/21/14
Requiescat in Pace

#140 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

Here's a small but very interesting 1/32 rally track snagged from a Portuguese website, Garagem dos Slotcars.

rally.jpg

To my eye, there just two places to pass on this track.

Gregory Wells

#141 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

This is the track at the Christchurch Slot Car Club in New Zealand:

christchurchclub.jpg

Hey, Zippity, do you ever race here? Any more info on the track?

Gregory Wells

#142 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

Greg,

I am in the dark as to any details relating to this track.

Alas, I have not raced on it.  :(

I have emailed the 'locals' and have asked that someone post some updated information on Slotblog.  :)

Ron Thornton
Wellington Slot Car Club home page
Billboard between Wellington and Petone on State Highway 2 - ''Dad's new husband seems nice. Yeah right''.

#143 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Here's proof that slot car tracks can be as diverse as anything else on the planet!

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop