• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#126 Mike Walpole

Mike Walpole

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

You know our schedule, you are always welcome at The Track Paul.

Likely, the Halloween race in TN will be bigger than the Nats.  I might go as I can race 3 classes there and have a blast.

• Paul Kovich likes this

#127 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

All slot car racing is going the way of the dinosaur. 

I disagree.

I'm amazed at the amount  of people coming in, even now in the summer,  with their old stuff, buying new tires to have some casual fun, and older guys, looking for something to do, while their wives do girl stuff.

I've sold 3-4 RTR cars in the last 3-4 days.

• Tim Neja and Dominator like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#128 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Slo tcar racing has been going the way of the dinosaur for 40 years.  Up and down, but I think you will find the most popular classes over the years, and certainly now, are the slower classes. 

The same thing seems to be happening in HO racing, which I was heavily involved with in the '90s.  he slower, non-downforce cars are extremely popular

• Half Fast and Tim Neja like this
"Whatever..."

#129 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

I keep after Roman to hold a big race sometime, I think i could manage getting down there for a weekend race, either a Winter Shootout or a Summer Shootout.

I don't travel much anymore but I would do it for a big race race at The Track. Not sure I can muster much motivation for a series race though. Between NEUSRA and Yankee I have two races a month to choose from.

#130 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

Keep smoking that doobie, Mike, I hope it lasts long enough for you to retire but I would have a plan B if I were you.

#131 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Hey Mike, the pony rides sound great LOL.

I never knew that Terry didn't meet the minimum room requirements. I thought overall it was a solider turn-out.

• MSwiss and Paul Kovich like this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#132 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

Hey Mike, the pony rides sound great LOL.

I never knew that Terry didn't meet the minimum room requirements. I thought overall it was a solider turn-out.

That's what she told Stu.

Compared to Lugnut and Chicago, the two years previous, Manchester was a fairly weak turn-out.

Guys complained airfare was on the high side.

Keep smoking that doobie Mike, I hope it lasts long enough for you to retire but I would have a plan B if I were you.

Wow, Paul.

I didn't realize you were so attuned to the Chicago slot car scene, both casual and serious,  and the demographics of neighboring Downers Grove, Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, and Oak Brook, and the amount of traffic that passes, and gets stopped 60 ft. from my front door every day.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#133 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Between NEUSRA and Yankee I have two races a month to choose from.

Paul, I beg you not to take this comment personally, as that is not my intent.

But the quote above is indicative of most slot racers' mindset:

"What do I care about the overall future of the model car racing hobby so long as I have a regular opportunity and place to race?"

Such a noticeable lack of altruistic feelings is not what is observed in the majority of other leisure-time activities, as best I can tell. And the sentiment you expressed probably presages the future of the slot car racing hobby in general.

As many have said, enjoy it while you can.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#134 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

I don't travel much anymore but I would do it for a big race race at The Track. Not sure I can muster much motivation for a series race though. Between NEUSRA and Yankee I have two races a month to choose from.

"What do I care about the overall future of the model car racing hobby so long as I have a regular opportunity and place to race?"

Such a noticeable lack of altruistic feelings is not what is observed in the majority of other leisure-time activities, as best I can tell. And the sentiment you expressed probably presages the future of the slot car racing hobby in general.

Paul's mention of the NEUSRA & Yankee series are both local. For him to visit The Track for a similar "series" race would be require about three times the travel time of either of those series.

I know Paul is trying to get a wing car racing program off the ground at a local track as the owner and Paul have mentioned it, and Paul has personally tried to recruit me to race.
Bob Schlain

#135 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

I was going to draft a response but decided on a FU instead.

#136 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,658 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:52 PM

Paul,

Go back and read your post #130.

You feel you can make a rude comment about the viability of (me) keeping a commercial raceway in business.

But when Greg gives you a dose of your own medicine,conveying a similar sentiment, and in a much more civil manner, you go off with your FU comment.

Please don't confuse posting on Slotblog with Facebook "barstool style" posting.
  • Tim Neja, B.C., NSwanberg and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss

#137 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:57 AM

Bob,

The problem isn't local promotion, as Paul is doing, it's national. Almost no one seems to understand that a national level of promotion of the slot car hobby is needed. That was my point.

Racers invariably believe everything will be OK so long as they have some place to race and that's simply not true.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#138 Mike Walpole

Mike Walpole

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

I think many people just race in their own little fiefdoms and as long as that is going OK, then who cares All it takes is to look at the age of most racers and see the hobby/sport declining.  I'll do wing cars as long as I can, but, eventually, when my eyesight and reflexes are shot, I'm done. That is unless I have no place to race first.

What's bad is when people want a place to race, but then they won't show up. Then they'll complain when there is no place to race.

#139 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

OK, here's a serious question: how many people in wing car racing actually build their own motors? And paint and "wing" their own bodies? Obviously they dont build their own chassis, although I guess maybe some solder the few pieces on the main part.

If you look at what's popular, a certain amount of building is involved.  Yes, I know not EVERYONE may build their own stuff in these classes, but the majority do. Maybe that means something?  

• Tim Neja likes this
"Whatever..."

#140 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

Other sports have a professional element - that is promoted nationally.  The rest of the nation follows the pros.  This is what gets promoted.  Pros can lose a sponsorship for bad behavior.  Without a national 'league' of some kind, how does a sport lead?

What is a USRA?

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#141 Mike Walpole

Mike Walpole

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

Actually, chassis come in kits or assembled.  I prefer kits and I solder them together myself.  No, it's not as intensive as building a retro cahssis, but the same rules still apply as in it needs to be straight and have the right ride heights.

#142 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Many now buy retro chassis pre-built. I hope things pick up next year for Frank's sake.

Dennis David

#143 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

I hope things pick up next year for Frank's sake.

Considering that Rohnerts King is even more of a "drivers track" than Speedzone PTC it could be even worse, if that's possible.

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#144 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

Oh I hope not, Frank was really excited to get the race. But yes if a King can be called a driver's track the one at SCR definitely is that.

Dennis David

#145 Mike Walpole

Mike Walpole

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

I haven't decided if I am going to Frank's or not.  It will be a monetary decision and not based on the track.  I can build bodies at the track if needed.

#146 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Considering that Rohnerts King is even more of a "drivers track" than Speedzone PTC it could be even worse, if that's possible.

Cheers

That in itself is a sad commentary.

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#147 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

I hope Frank has a great turnout  and super Event also.  Slotcar Raceways is a great raceway and Frank is great host.

This same topic was hot on FB for a short while too. I did notice after I had made a few comments that every suggestion, change or move met opposition from someone or some group. They must be happy with what they have now and really didn't embrace "outsiders" opinions. I stopped posting or suggesting anything. I no longer am involved in their kind of racing was point blankingly, more or less, to butt out and leave it up the current players......

• Phil Hackett likes this

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#148 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

Slot Car Raceway is a terrific place and Frank will have it in tiptop condition. Rohnert Park is located in Sonoma County and there many places to see nearby. Anyone going should spend an extra day or two.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Dennis David

#149 CARSHouston

CARSHouston

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

The below comments were posted by P.A. here http://slotcars.net/....php?f=14&t=244

I know he doesn't post here, but since He was been to the Nats for 41 years in a row, I thought you might want to read it. If you want to post a comment and have him respond you may need to post to the address above.

His comments are about the Nats and don't address the problems with the USRA, which I think are great.

Thanks

George

Low turnout...why?
1) Hard Track? 1240 laps to win...not really.
2)Bad area? NO!!! Beautiful area w/ great summer weather compared to the 2 other Georgia Nats.
3)Crummy Facility? Nope...it was pristine w/ helpful folks & GREAT Lighting although some folks thought it had glare (I guess my fading vision was suited for it).
4)High airfares? Cheap oil = low airfares (mine was $250 roundtrip).
So, what's the problem?
1)Change of Nats dates.
2)It wasn't a SuperSpeedway-latest,greatest track.
3)Little promotion...few Warm-Up Races & no not much positive feedback.

So...what can be done?
1)Have the NATS @ the end of August when flights are 'on sale' many years. Let tracks set the dates as part of their NATS BID.
2)Have the Schedule posted w/entry fees & GUARANTEED PAYOUTS IN CASH RACES!!! How payout is determined if not a cash race.
3)Charge the Entry Fee you post. I paid $100 for Pro 7's but the Entry Fee is listed @ $95 on OWH in the bid.
4)Let Spec Tires be from the USRA & not the track as was once the case. They can be rolled over if not used. Use ONLY .500 hubs for SPEC Tires. I don't intend to sell a $13 'SPEC' tire at a short discount or w/a bigger than 1/2" hub.

Will these changes help things? it would have this year as the number one reason I heard that some folks didn't come was the change of Nats dates. Oh yeah, lower the USRA Fee as $15 is a poor value for what you get. Isn't $20 'pit fee' a little on the high side?

• jimht and The Number of like this
George Marsanick Jr

#150 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

Seems to me that a big turnout in any Gp12/15 class hinges on serious local participation.

Each Region has different participation rates in the non-cobalt/limited classes.

So, this sort of arrangement...

A one week program, the core USRA classes like this:

Thursday 27Lite, Friday 2MO, Saturday Geezer and/or Semi-Pro, Sunday Pro.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday would be classes selected by the bidding Raceways that they feel will get participation.

The Bidding Raceways present the proposed classes, explain why and  detail the Schedule, Entry Fees, Hotels, etc.

If the Raceway feels it's justified they could schedule 6 race classes in "their" 3 days, but that's their thing.

Those "lower" classes may be part of the USRA but turnouts of traveling racers have been pretty thin.

Thin the herd, shorten the program, cater to those that travel.

• Tim Neja and smichslot like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Electric Dreams Online Shop