• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

This eBay listing just ended, with no takers. I was considering bidding on it as my first foray into 1/24, but I couldn't figure out what car it's supposed to be based on. I though it best to take a pass, try to find out from you all what you think it is, and then if it comes up again, I'll look at it once more:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

The headlights look to me like a Chaparral, but which one? There's no detail on the back deck, with no depressions for intake or exhaust pipes, etc. In fact, there appears to be very little detail molded onto the body:

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Here's a photo of the chassis. Although it doesn't show in this picture, it is stamped "Strombecker":

s-l1600 (5).jpg

And here's a shot of the underside. Again, it doesn't show here, but the shell is also marked "Strombecker"

s-l1600 (2).jpg

From the side it kinda reminds me of the Lotus 30, but again, I just can't tell.

Thoughts?

Mark in Oregon

EDIT: Right after I posted this, the item was re-listed, this time with a "make offer" option. I did, it was accepted, and so now I will need advice on how to deal with it, such as finding a suitable motor, etc.

Stay tuned...  :)

Mark Mugnai

#2 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:58 PM

Porsche 906, missing the top and glass.

Martin Windmill

#3 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:33 AM

Martin

Ah...okay, thank you.  :)  There is a partial piece of a windscreen/windows/roof section included, but I didn't think it actually "went" with this model.

So I guess I'll have to try to find a replacement.

Now that I know what it is, I can do some "proper" research and learn the background of this thing.

Also, there is no motor. I have a can motor that was out of one of the Strombecker aluminum framed 1/32 cars: do you think that motor would fit and/or be adequate?

Thanks again for the ID.

Mark in Oregon

Mark Mugnai

#4 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:23 AM

This link should help,

https://en.todocolec...xtric~x89091348

Pretty rough, but it shows the motor etc.

Notice the guide is on upside down, and yours has a drop-arm. So a different version.

• strummer likes this
Martin Windmill

#5 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:51 AM

Sure enough there it is; thank you Martin.  :)

I suspect it'll show up around the first of next week; I will post some photos at that time in the hopes that you all can help me along with this project...

Am looking forward to seeing what a 1/24 car is like in person!

Mark in Oregon

EDIT: In the meantime, here are a couple of photos of the motor I have:

unnamed-16.jpg

unnamed-21.jpg

It looks to be different from the motor from the series of photos Martin posted; for starters, the plastic end is red, not blue. Dunno if that matters. Please forgive these very basic questions, but I know nothing about 1/24!

Mark Mugnai

#6 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

Mark, that's the little brother of the one that fits in the car: the TC32, a 16D size motor, versus the TC24, a 36D size motor in this line of Strombecker cars. 

if you're going to plunge into 1/24, take a little time and see what's available and what condition it's in (and figure out what really excites you). Something like the Porsche really isn't worth it, unless you just need the spare parts or want to search for the missing bits... of course, if it's cheap enough, it could be fun playing around with. But, for instance, if you don't have a motor that fits, it would be more trouble than it's worth. 

Don 

• MattD likes this

#7 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

Don makes a really important point, learn what is out there, what it is usually worth and what you really  like.

Example the Strom Porsche you listed may be worth $45-$70 if it is a decent car., that is complete and in running condition, possible needing only fresh tires and tune up.   

The car you showed needs a top and windows, paint, decals  to be  a nice looking car to run or set on a shelf.   If you can find a top (doubtful) it won't be cheap, you will need to paint and refurbish the body, add a motor and some tires, etc.    If you get this all done, you could easily have $80-$100 in the car.

For $80-$100, maybe less  you can probably buy a Cox Chaparral 2, Lotus or Ford GT in pretty good condition.   You will have a nicer car, a more collectable car and a car that will hold it's value better.    As you progress as a collector, you learn  these lessons and you weed out some of the early cars you  may have bought.   

If you wait till warm  months, you will see ebay prices for run of the mill cars, like the above mentioned Cox, Monogram and Revell hard body cars at  prices 60%-70% of what they sell for this time of year.    You have a couple months to learn about what is what and see what you like.

Philippe wrote a book a few years back that gives a pretty good accounting of the major companies and most common cars.   I think the name is "Vintage slot cars".   Find a copy online, at Electric Dreams or Ebay and spend some time getting familiar with the old stuff.

Matt Bishop

#8 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

Don, Matt, et al.

Thanks for the advise; I wish I had waited to hear all this (which was my original intention) before I went ahead and "pulled the trigger" on that Strombecker Porsche. 

Oh well. I suppose if nothing else it'll give me a chance to "get a feel" for the larger size, and all that comes with it. Plus, there are a couple of goodies included ( like a gear puller) that I wanted to pick up anyway, so what the heck...

If any of you might have a "36D" motor you'd be willing to part with, please feel free to PM me...  :good:  

And yes, I have Philippe's book. It's a classic in my opinion; I keep it on my coffee table and it seldom fails to get a thumb-through when I have guests...  :)

Mark in Oregon

PS: This "36D" is listed as a Monogram. Would this also work in the Strombecker?

36D motor.jpg

Mark Mugnai

#9 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:25 PM

I must also state that you had some of the very best "advice" that you could have ever gotten by the fact that it had no takers!  

• strummer likes this
John Stewart

#10 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:57 AM

Mark, 

Almost any motor can be shoehorned into any chassis, with certain modifications... 

But the Monogram is a hard sell, because it's what we call endbell drive, ie, with the shaft coming out the endbell. The Strombecker is a can drive, with the shaft coming out the can side, and the chassis is designed to put that end of the motor driving the gear, with its larger bearing; you might actually have more luck trying to fit your smaller Strombecker in there, although it would sit kind of high. 

There are LOTS of 36D size motors floating around, for not much money. Look for one of the "hemi" style motors made by Strombecker and a few other manufacturers to ensure an easy fit. The hemi motors were basically the same size as the ones made by Mabuchi, but had a different brush setup (round brushes and coil springs, secured with a screw), and a few other minor differences, including mounting hole location on the can. (PS: just looked at my Strombecker Porsche, and it should be able to handle any of the can-drive 36D motors). 

Don 

#11 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:56 AM

I must also state that you had some of the very best "advice" that you could have ever gotten by the fact that it had no takers!  

...ouch!!!  Good point...   :D

Mark in Oregon

• olescratch likes this
Mark Mugnai

#12 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:00 AM

Don

Thank you for your observation regarding "can" vs "bell" end drives: I never noticed that before...

...see, I told you I don't know anything about 1/24!  :)

Mark in Oregon

PS: how about this one? It's listed as a "Ranalli"...?

36D motor.jpg

Mark Mugnai

#13 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

Just about all those motors were made by Mabuchi in Japan, Mark, and are pretty much the same, except each manufacturer had them painted in its own colors and perhaps with a slight difference in windings. 

The Hemi was by a different manufacturer, Igarashi I think, but followed the same general size as the Mabuchi models. 

That Rannalli will probably fit in your Strombecker, I think the front (can) bearing is about the same size. 

Don 

• strummer likes this

#14 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Just about all those motors were made by Mabuchi in Japan, Mark, and are pretty much the same, except each manufacturer had them painted in its own colors and perhaps with a slight difference in windings. 

The Hemi was by a different manufacturer, Igarashi I think, but followed the same general size as the Mabuchi models. 

That Rannalli will probably fit in your Strombecker, I think the front (can) bearing is about the same size. 

Don 

Thank you Don.

I see the Rannalli's bearing is grooved; dunno if that matters. I may just wait until I see a genuine Strombecker 36D, just to be on the safe side.

I hate to be a pain in the as*  about this, but since I don't know anything...  :)

Mark in Oregon

Mark Mugnai

#15 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

It came to mind that your body would make a good base for a  Porsche 906  Spyder or something along those lines.

Attached Images

• 69e3db440ed1c877689604004fe87e32.jpg
  • index.jpg

• NY Nick and strummer like this
Martin Windmill

#16 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

This might be closer, since the Strommie Porsche is a 906/Carrera 6.

Rotor

906+Spider1091452218.jpg

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#17 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

Martin

Hey, that's not a bad idea; especially since it's unlikely I'll be able to find a replacement roof/window piece...

Thanks...to you and everyone here; so far you've all been very helpful and I do appreciate it.  :good:

Mark in Oregon

PS: Jeff

Your post came through as I was typing my response to Martin. If you attached a photo, I don't see it...

• Rotorranch likes this
Mark Mugnai

#18 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

It would show off the driver well.

The only other way I thought of, is to cut the top off a clear body. But I like the Spyder myself, lower CG too.

I did change the pic, I found more appropriate versions that retained the side scoops.

Jeff is on the same page also. We are just stepping on each other.

We see your pic Jeff. That's a clean version. :good:

Martin Windmill

#19 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

I had issues posting the pic. It's there now.  :dash2: 

Rotor

• strummer likes this
Jeff Chambers

"Kinky Kar"

#20 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

PORSCHE 906 ROADSTERjpOSTEGUYetceterini.jpg

PORSCHE 906 ROADSTER JEAN PAUL OSTIGUYetceterini.jpg

The only other Spyder/Roadster pics I can find at the moment.

Martin, where did you find those?

Rotor

• strummer likes this
Jeff Chambers

"Kinky Kar"

#21 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

I like your choices

https://www.google.c...DAAQsAR6BAgKEAE

Martin Windmill

#22 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

To be honest I think  this is project best put back in the box.     Save it for  a donor for some future project, better yet, pick up a NOS Strom Chaparral body and use it to build a nice Chaparral.    The Chaparral bodies are new and complete and are around for reasonable money.    Find  a motor, maybe a set of tires and wheels and you'll actually have a nice car for less money.

• ajd350 likes this

Matt Bishop

#23 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

https://www.ebay.com...UEAAOSwi~deN31D

Jeff Chambers

"Kinky Kar"

#24 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

https://www.ebay.com...-8AAOSwDyReOe0W

Jeff Chambers

"Kinky Kar"

#25 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

Jeff

Thanks for the links; I'm "watching" those motors...and I guess I'll have to do some research on the Strombecker line of 1/24; at one point I thought the only cars they did in that scale were the very early ones that you could motorize later on... 

Matt

You may be right: it's seems like the old "making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" situation.  :)

In the meantime, what is the general opinion regarding 1/24 tires? Paul Gage? Jel Claws?

Thanks!!

Mark in (wet) Oregon

Mark Mugnai

Electric Dreams Online Shop