• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:07 PM

The premier event of the weekend was Can Am on the superfast Piranha King track and had 22 entrants

P1210063.JPG

Can Am Qualfiying         Chance Overholt just nips Garret Sisk for TQ by .006 seconds!  Bill Vanderziel just nips Rick Dodge for the final A Main sit out spot by .002 seconds!   Super close!

P1210064.JPG

Can Am results               Chance is starting to make a habit of this!  Great run to a comfortable victory and fastest lap to boot at 3.67!

The race for 2nd went down to the wire with Dale just holding off Sam by about a foot at the end!  Solid run by Alex in 4th just ahead of Garrett.  Good run by Mill to come from the C Main.

D Main winner Dennis Rios,   C Main winner Duran Trujillo,   B Main winner Sam Rackham

P1200996.JPG

Can Am podium

1st Place           Chance Overholt

2nd Place          Dale Yamashita

3rd Place          Sam Rackham

Podium Cars

P1200997.JPG

P1200998.JPG

P1200999.JPG

1st Place           Chance Overholt           KF (Overholt ) chassis

P1210001.JPG

P1210002.JPG

P1210003.JPG

2nd Place         Dale Yamashita                Bartos chassis

P1210004.JPG

P1210005.JPG

P1210006.JPG

3rd Place             Sam Rackham                Hi Tech chassis

F1 up next......

• S.O. Watt, Tim Neja, Tom Eatherly and 1 other like this

#2 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:27 PM

Can Am Concours winners...

P1200974.JPG   

Can Am Realistic      Earl McCutcheon       McCuthcheon paint

P1200976.JPG

Can Am Presentation            Dale Yamashita           Noose Paint

• S.O. Watt, Tim Wilkins, Eddie Fleming and 2 others like this

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:41 PM

I don't want to start anything and I should probably not say anything, but I got to.

I look at the cars like the first and third finishers and I have a problem calling them scratch built or retro. That's all I am going to say.

Thanks for the report and your efforts Bryan. 

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
Eddie Fleming

#4 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:10 PM

West coast retro, lol
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#5 kustomfab1

kustomfab1

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Eddie, while I do understand what you’re saying. I ask, what is the difference between either of those cars (of which the third place car is cut using a bandsaw) and cars on the East coast using RGEO, Chicagoland, Jk, or a number of others for parts? Honest question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Mike K, S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and 2 others like this
Chance Overholt

#6 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

Brian, thank you for the photos. A list of times and laps is nice but equipment photos that include the hardware makes the report usable. Reports that show bodies only are useless except to show who had the sense to have "Noose" paint them some bodies.

Jesse Gonzales

Old AZ USRA and ARCO racer

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:37 PM

All the cars are as scratchbuilt as ever.  The 2nd place car of Dale's  has LOT'S of kit cut parts in it--and the newer "pan" cars are all hand cut. The only real difference east to west is no weight limit for the west cars--and minimum 100grams for the east.

• Half Fast, Tom Eatherly and kustomfab1 like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#8 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:27 PM

I don't race much any more, but do follow SCRRA and some IRRA events. Seems to me, all the top, if not all racers, either build chassis' themselves, or use "kits" from someone. But, they do have to build them themselves, unless it's bought from a "builder", who generally scratch builds them. Where is the issue?

• Half Fast and kustomfab1 like this
Tom Eatherly

#9 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Eddie

Those same style Chassis have and are being used on the East Coast as well for 4 or 5 years now nothing New there

jason

#10 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Chance / Eddie:

When the original IRRA rules set was developed the idea was to eliminate overly intricate chassis designs that could only be made with "advanced" capabilities such as milling, water jet cutting, laser cutting, or EDM.  However if these advanced chassis designs were made available to the general public then that was acceptable.  A good example would be the heavily machined chassis' components/kits made by Dom Luongo and Chicagoland which are easily available.

While it appears to me that the 1st place chassis and maybe the 3rd place one (to some extent?) was made by one of these advanced processes I must say that I don't see anything so intricate that it couldn't be made with only a drill press, drum sander, bandsaw, and Dremel.  I know that with enough effort I certainly could have produced any one of these chassis (if not quite as precisely) with only those "basic" tools.

So while I totally understand where Eddie is coming from, and personally i think that these chassis' are a bit "near the edge" of the IRRA rules (which you are not running under in SCRRA), as a tech inspector I would not have had a problem passing any of these chassis' through an IRRA tech inspection.

Finally please note that this is my personal opinion and not that of the IRRA BoD.

• Mike K, Dominator, NSwanberg and 3 others like this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),

Gator Region Retro Racing Co-Director (2021-Present)

SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)

IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)

Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)

Way too serious Retro racer

#11 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:48 PM

I don't want to start anything and I should probably not say anything, but I got to.

I look at the cars like the first and third finishers and I have a problem calling them scratch built or retro. That's all I am going to say.

Thanks for the report and your efforts Bryan. 

Eddie,

All the Retro organizations across the country have been allowing parts to be manufactured such as plates for years. Out here we kind of traded the "purity" of the original scratchbuilding ideas for the fact that way more people would participate if the building was easier with kits of one kind or another.

My original kit in 2006 or 2007, was based on a Paul Sterrett chassis that looks a lot like Chances winning car.  I'll see if I can find a photo of it...

And, thanks!

• Mike K, S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and 6 others like this

#12 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:59 PM

Here is a pic from a retro King track race at BPR in 2008......a monthly race with almost 30 racers!

P1020286.jpg

Cars and chassis of every description!  I can't find the specific Paul Sterrett car I was looking for but if I do I will post it here.

• Tim Neja and kustomfab1 like this

#13 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:25 AM

My 2 cents:

This is Retro racing not vintage racing.

The guys who actually race retro want to see the chassis and the bodies. Creativity in chassis design and artistry in painting bodies needs to be acknowledged.

Thanks Bryan for you reports and photos.

Cheers

• S.O. Watt, tonyp, Tim Neja and 4 others like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#14 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:43 AM

when I started retro, about 10 years ago, there were all sort of chassis and also all sort of bodies.

as racing got more serious, everything got more refine. now everyone runs ti22 and pan type chassis (except Dale with that Bartos, LOL).

bc it is racing and everyone wants to be fast.

since there are more racers than chassis builders, everyone runs what is the latest from those few chassis guys.

I'm certainly not a chassis guy, so I buy the best design out there.

I guess I should call Tom H and Chance for a chassis, lol................................

• S.O. Watt and Half Fast like this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#15 Keith Tanaka

Keith Tanaka

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:58 AM

Here is a pic from a retro King track race at BPR in 2008......a monthly race with almost 30 racers!

attachicon.gifP1020286.jpg

Cars and chassis of every description!  I can't find the specific Paul Sterrett car I was looking for but if I do I will post it here.

Bryan, here are some photos of a retro car which Paul Sterrett won in June 2007 on the BPR Hill Climb track. I believe this was Paul's first D3 Retro Can Am car he built and raced.

IMGP0219.jpg  IMGP0220.jpg

Keith Tanaka

• S.O. Watt and Tim Neja like this

Team Rolling Hills circa '66-'68

#16 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:32 AM

As pretty much a local racer, I enjoy designing and building my own retro cars. It saddens me a bit to see a builders class always become a buyers class but that is just a fact of life in this hobby/sport or just about any form of racing. It does not diminish the fun I have racing with the cubic dollar racers and garnering an occasional win. The more I build the more I am convinced in the KISS philosophy of slot car design. The Overholt plate chassis with the big round hole is basically quite simple. I can see it is providing the desired balance I am seeking in the cars I build. If I wanted to suck the Dremel dust I could duplicate it. I just would not think it worth it. 

• S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and mark1 like this

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas

"Death before disco!" Wanda from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#17 j-slot

j-slot

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

When I build the retro chassis, the only electric tool I use is an old Dremel.
Building high performance chassis without the use of machine tools is a big part of the fun of retro racing for me.

Of course, I do not deny the use of machine tools in chassis building.

Thanks for the report and photos.

• S.O. Watt, tonyp, Tim Neja and 3 others like this

Hisatsugu Akitani

Retro Tokyo / Cheerio Speedway

#18 mark1

mark1

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:24 AM

A successful race program that loosened up the rule book. A racer that solders together a high priced kit versus a racer that buys a high dollar car. And, rarely, versus a racer that builds his own from the K & S rack. 

Mark Anderson

#19 kustomfab1

kustomfab1

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

While I understand where you guys are coming from, for me personally I don’t agree. I have been in retro racing for a couple of years now. I build/work on big race cars for a living so retro racing is just a natural obsession of mine. After racing the Check Point last year, I got the desire to start building myself. I got a handful for kits from RGEO and others and just started learning. I watched YouTube videos from the master, Tony P. I scoured Slot Blog in awe of some the beautiful creations guys have built. I wanted to build my own design and knew that many of the kits I had bought were laser cut so I learned how to use a simple 2d cad program and found a place online using a quick search to cut my designs out. It was really that simple. I didn’t have to invest in a half million dollar piece of equipment lol. I never in my wildest dreams thought my car would win the CheckPoint. I assumed I would be racing one of my other cars that was built by guys that have been doing it for years.

Again, I understand where you’re coming from, but I think it is a bit of a slippery slope. Most guys don’t own vertical band saws. Should they be used? I know Bryan uses a punch. I don’t have one of those. Should that be legal? I don’t have the ability to stamp a guide tongue step in a Chassis. Should that be legal?

I am 37 years old and have been racing slot cars off and on for 25yrs or so. Those who know me, can vouch how hard and diligently I work on my stuff. There aren’t too many guys my age (meaning middle age) in slot cars that put in the effort that I do. Especially guys that are younger. Most of the younger generation that races up here is more concerned with painting bodies instead of building cars or making them faster. If you expect retro racing to survive for the next couple generations, I can assure you that forcing guys to whittle out Chassis parts with a Dremel is not the answer. I can promise you that.

I don’t agree with the “overpriced” statement whatsoever. That is a disservice to the guys that spent their time designing all pfc those parts. Doing all the testing and redesigning. Overpriced cars? I see the quality of work that Tom Hansen, Tony P, Andrew Ford, Jim Lange, Duran, JJ, Dom, Samson, Bartos, and others do and I am in shock of how cheap they build them for! I know the amount of work that goes into building cars and there’s no way I would want to build cars on the level they do, for as cheap as they do!

I’m sorry to rant. I was introduced into retro stuff a little over two years ago and I absolutely love it. I don’t hardly look forward to racing any flexi stuff now. I left the Check Point and have been going through withdrawals. Not only for the racing, but the great guys I got to hang out with. I love the crowd! I’m going to go to the Fall Brawl this year and can’t wait to meet some of the icons of retro racing!

Chance

• Mike K, S.O. Watt, tonyp and 11 others like this
Chance Overholt

#20 mjsh

mjsh

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Everyone is missing out on the biggest factor  in this direction of chassis design.  Same with the short  wing cars and no movement mounts. The smoothness and quality of modern tracks.

We had this same conversation in the 90's when Ogilvie came out with  his Space Mountain King ( shorter straight, bigger diameter finger and bank).  Racers loved it , traditionist  not so much.

As a business model you would want to have a track that appealed to the most customers.

• MSwiss, S.O. Watt, Tim Neja and 3 others like this
Michael Shepard

#21 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

Bryan, here are some photos of a retro car which Paul Sterrett won in June 2007 on the BPR Hill Climb track. I believe this was Paul's first D3 Retro Can Am car he built and raced.

IMGP0219.jpg  IMGP0220.jpg

Keith Tanaka

Keith,

Thanks!  Yes that is the car that got me thinking about making a chassis kit. A very simple torsion design with no pan movement and in theory, identical to Chances winning car from last weekend....

• S.O. Watt and Tim Neja like this

#22 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

At 37 Chance would be about 30 years younger than a lot of the Retro east racers (middle age Ha!).

Young Un! :)

Cheers

• Tim Neja and kustomfab1 like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#23 Highnoon

Highnoon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

I like the California pan car, so elegant and so simple, I built my second retro car couple weeks ago using an $8.00 jk close out center section the DOC told me about. Took about 1.5 hours.

if it wasn’t for motors they run. I might actually race one. 

congrats on your win Chance, 3.6 in a retro is super FAST. 

Attached Images

• 5771F96E-D380-4055-A729-CE20E2A9CC68.jpeg

• Tim Neja, Jason Holmes and kustomfab1 like this
Gary Cooper

#24 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:36 PM

Mill Conroy ran to 2nd Place in the 2020 Checkpoint Cup Can Am with this chassis made from the old JK Retro kit.

P1200337.JPG

• Tim Neja likes this

#25 kustomfab1

kustomfab1

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 02:57 AM

Thank you very much! I have no doubt that the local hot shoes and car builders will make that lap look silly in no time. It’s an incredibly fast and smooth race track! Can’t wait to race with the gang again!

• Tim Neja and Jason Holmes like this
Chance Overholt

Electric Dreams Online Shop