Jump to content




Photo

What do you do when you can't do anything?


31 replies to this topic

#26 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,376 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted 25 September 2026 - 04:42 AM

That King Tiger would make a great scratch built slot car. I don't remember the kit used, but a local racer built a tank kit on a flexi during the early 2000s for one of the raceway's special races.  


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 




#27 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

    Age scrubs away speed!

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,376 posts
  • Joined: 02-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Boston, NH

Posted 25 September 2026 - 04:42 AM

That King Tiger would make a great scratch built slot car. I don't remember the kit used, but a local racer built a tank kit on a flexi during the early 2000s for one of the raceway's special races.  


Bill Fernald
 
I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#28 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 09

Posted 25 September 2026 - 04:03 PM

I've looking over the military vehicles,  and when I have had enough cars, planes and boats, (probably soon) I'll get into those. I built an Army half track on a scratch built chassis, but the tracks were too stiff for the sprags to handle. Both sides stripped off. Still want to build at least one more ship. Possibly the Constitution. I built one of the wood kits years ago. I usually buy whatever fits my fancy at the time. If I do a tank, it will be an M-4 Sherman. I have a bunch of photos I took of the one at Cantigny, inside and out. Back when they let you climb all over the outdoor displays.

 

Thanks for the badly needed encouragement, guys. 


  • Mr. M likes this

#29 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 09

Posted 28 September 2026 - 02:38 PM

For you, Rick. I have had this Lindberg '52 Chevy for years.. What a crap model. Nothing fits. The body comes in several pieces, and has to be fitted, then the seams filled and sanded.  It came to me down through three other modelers who looked it over and decided, since it was 1/32nd, they didn't want to bother with it. I was racing with a basement club, and we were running a hardbody jalopy class. Anyway, I thought what a good model to build as an Army staff car. Didn't have all the decals needed in this scale. I'll build some military vehicles soon.

 

 

Screenshot 2026-09-28 141707.png

 

M-4 Sherman;

 

Screenshot 2026-09-28 150015.png

 

And here is the kit;

 

Screenshot 2026-09-28 152918.png

 

 



#30 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 28 September 2026 - 07:21 PM

Very cool Dave.    :victory:

 

That Sherman will be awesome. I love the movie Fury with all the Sherman action.....especially going against a real Tiger tank.  

 


Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#31 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 09

Posted 28 September 2026 - 08:47 PM

Did you see the show on how Tank Museum got the Tiger up and running? Great movie, Brad Pitt's best.
The Tiger did have a weak spot at the rear. A carefully placed shot would kill that Maybach V-12, which would render the tank useless

#32 MSwiss

MSwiss

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,226 posts
  • Joined: 16-April 06
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 October 2026 - 06:03 PM

Here's one of Dave's cooler cars he built, I have to run over to him when I have the time.

 

20261002_180002.jpg

 

20261002_180012.jpg


  • dc-65x and grooverunner like this

Mike Swiss
 
Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
Former IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559






Electric Dreams Online Shop