Jump to content




Photo

1966 Rod & Custom style Tyco-Pittman


  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#26 tonyp

tonyp

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts
  • Joined: 12-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sanford, FL, land of lizards and big roaches

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

Rick use my turbo drops. It will make that thing fly...

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace





#27 Duffy

Duffy

    a dearly-missed departed member

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Joined: 25-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geographically Brooklyn, Politically Berkeley

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

...You can squeeze a TURBO???.....
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace
 
And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#28 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

    a dearly-missed departed member

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Salt Lake City, UT

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hi

Duffy, just because you are newly married, I am guessing you have lost the grip needed to do this!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#29 Tex

Tex

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts
  • Joined: 07-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denton, TX

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

It's my professional opinion that the equipment needed to apply pressure to a standard trumpet, sufficient to render usable quantities of the resultant oil, is beyond most of us hobbyists.



I hear ya, dood. Same with Nauga's; do you know how MANY Nauga's you have to catch/kill to make one decent Naugahyde? Believe me, you don't wanna know! :rolleyes:
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#30 Hworth08

Hworth08

    Posting Leader

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springfield, TN

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

Poor Rick's excellent post seem to be caught in a continious loop of drift. And it's spreading.
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#31 Duffy

Duffy

    a dearly-missed departed member

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Joined: 25-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geographically Brooklyn, Politically Berkeley

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

You can't always expect us to be sane, dull, and dry. Especially when our hands are dripping with turbo viscera.
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace
 
And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#32 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hey guys I like all appreciate all these kind of fun comments. It keeps the thread alive. I only have time to build on the weekends.......two days to go :)

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#33 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

I modified these motor brackets in the upper right.....

Posted Image

like so.......

Posted Image

Now the motor can be slid out of the chassis:

Posted Image

I also "Duffied" my rear axle tube. Although I bet Sir Duffster will cringe at my setup :D :

Posted Image

It turned out great though. The guys in the 60's magazines were always drilling holes in things. I think it looks very period Korrect:

Posted Image

So it's jigged up and ready to go but.....

Posted Image

.....if I could just stay on task :unsure: . I got an idea for the motor to use in a "Lost Cause" Chaparral I body that John "The Viceroy of Vacuum" Dilworth made for me.

Must stay on task. Must stay on task. Maybe I could just build the motor for the Chappy.... :unsure:

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#34 Duffy

Duffy

    a dearly-missed departed member

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Joined: 25-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geographically Brooklyn, Politically Berkeley

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

I also "Duffied" my rear axle tube. Although I bet Sir Duffster will cringe at my setup :D It turned out great though. The guys in the 60's magazines were always drilling holes in things. I think it looks very period Korrect

Ohhhhhhh man oh man, did you ever get Lucky. Y'know that PINGing sound, the one when you clamp tubing the wrong way in a vise and try to machine it? Yah, that sound. You didn't hear it, huh? Try this again. You'll hear it.

This is such fun to watch. I GOT one o those chasses, and a Strommie Defribrillator to go on it, AND a big nasty VANWALL to wrap over the top like a green tortilla!! I WANNA DO THIS CAR!!...right after I finish a nice tame little 1/32 Ferrari P3...

Duffy
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace
 
And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#35 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Ohhhhhhh man oh man, did you ever get Lucky. Y'know that PINGing sound, the one when you clamp tubing the wrong way in a vise and try to machine it?


Yes, I have to admit I know the sound :blush: . But hey, it's not as bad as the guy at a drill press trying to drill an 1 3/8" hole in a hand held, foot square piece of sheet metal with a blacksmith drill :shok: :shok: :shok: . I have to admit I left the shop so as not to witness the potential carnage.

Anywho, I made up a bunch of pieces, parts:

Posted Image

Looks like an old angle winder chassis kit :blink: .

I got all 8 main rails bent, trimmed to length and deburred. I think it looks so much cleaner to have all the rails deburred where they attach to the front axle tube instead of just cutting them off with a Dremel.

4 rails:

Posted Image

8 rails:

Posted Image

It's a "Flying W!:

Posted Image

Time for a drop arm:

Posted Image
  • MarcusPHagen likes this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#36 Howmet TX

Howmet TX

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

Or as they all said in 'It's a Mad Mad Mad World'- The Big DubbleYuh!

Superb, Rick. Can't wait to see it 'dressed'.

John Dilworth


#37 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

Inspiring no :)

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#38 don.siegel

don.siegel

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • Joined: 17-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Paris, France

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

I think my whole youth just flashed before my eyes, including a midnight double bill of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and "What's new Pussycat?", with my unrequited high-school crush by my side...

Maybe you should change that chassis design Captain Rick....

Don

#39 Hworth08

Hworth08

    Posting Leader

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springfield, TN

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

IIRC, there's a treasure buried under the W palm trees. Maybe a stash of slot parts from a '60s bankrupt slot company?
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#40 Howmet TX

Howmet TX

    On The Lead Lap

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Joined: 12-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'm coming Momma, I'm coming....

John Dilworth


#41 Jairus

Jairus

    Body Painter Extraordinaire

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,174 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Salem, OR

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

Oh yeah... fear the big "Doub'yuh"!

Posted Image
:)

Jairus H. Watson

3/12/59-5/19/25

Requiescat in Pace

 


#42 Duffy

Duffy

    a dearly-missed departed member

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Joined: 25-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Geographically Brooklyn, Politically Berkeley

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

..." and "What's new Pussycat?"... Maybe you should change that chassis design Captain Rick....

Only if he puts a red Cord convertible over it. ( "...a red SPORTS CAR??" Jeez, somebody should've slipped Woody Allen a copy of R&T...)

Duffy ("I don't vant to be a Viking")





Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace
 
And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#43 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

My "inspiration" for the chassis came from a 1965 article by Mike Morrissey:

Posted Image

Mikes rails are very slightly splayed:

Posted Image

I tried to R&C morph it into what it might have looked like at the end of the 1966 season with the heavier cars. Or I might just be "searching for the dolphin in the sea"......... :) .

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#44 Tex

Tex

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts
  • Joined: 07-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denton, TX

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

Looks good, Rick; straightforward and functional.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#45 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

    a dearly-missed departed member

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Salt Lake City, UT

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi

Back then, I saw a lot of variants of "splayed" rails and other similar approaches. One related to it was that of having a narrower REAR track. What the word was was that somehow this would work better when accelerating out of the corner. Cars then with the tires and surfaces then often had troubles "hooking up" and you would see them wiggling from side to side down the straight. The discussion was that this movement ate energy, and splayed rails and narrow rear tracks were both an effort to straighten out the car.

For me, tried once and then decided on the Colin Chapman rule "just tell me how wide it is allowed".

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#46 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi Rocky,

At my local SoCal raceway (Grand Prix Raceway) in late 65 to early 66 the hot cars were lightweight GP’s with rewound 16D Mabuchi’s. I distinctly remember we had power but lacked traction. The tracks were a small oval with a gloss surface we tried to keep the nub’s on and a flat road course with a flat black surface.

I’m not sure if we were still running “Germans” or the new foam tires like VC’s or Tiny’s. But, to gain more traction in the turns (and probably stop the fish tailing you talked about down the straights) we would narrow up the rear track maybe a half inch narrower than the front. I didn’t like doing this as the cars looked stupid but if you wanted to keep up you had to.

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#47 tonyp

tonyp

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts
  • Joined: 12-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sanford, FL, land of lizards and big roaches

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

Same out here in NJ. Later on I always built my 1/12th RC cars that way. More forward bite exiting the turns.. No one ever figured it out..

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace


#48 dc-65x

dc-65x

    Grand Champion Poster

  • Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts
  • Joined: 14-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hi Tony,

I wondered if it had something to do with the outside rear tire having a greater distance to travel around a turn than the inside rear ? Maybe the less that variation is the more bite? Or maybe it’s just slot car black magic!

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...


#49 Hworth08

Hworth08

    Posting Leader

  • Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • Joined: 16-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Springfield, TN

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

Check the old drag racers, always the rear track about as narrow as they could get it.

We did the same with pulling trucks and tractors.

I can't remember the exact reason a narrow track goes straighter but it has to do with the lever principal. The closer the tires are together the less force the tire that is gripping more has to push the vechile sideways.

And that may qualify as the worst way to explain it in history! :)
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#50 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

    Posting Leader

  • Full Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Joined: 03-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

My "inspiration" for the chassis came from a 1965 article by Mike Morrissey:

Posted Image

Mikes rails are very slightly splayed:

Posted Image

I tried to R&C morph it into what it might have looked like at the end of the 1966 season with the heavier cars. Or I might just be "searching for the dolphin in the sea"......... :) .


Way off topic but when I saw the reference to the "Dolphin in the sea" this immediately came to mind. One of my favorite movies of my youth. Check out about 1 minute in. VA-VA-VOOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nc5GXC0Is
Now you know why they call me "The Wolf" ;)

Joe Lupo






Electric Dreams Online Shop