• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#51 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

This is rdiculous. Ron doesn't paint pretty bodies. Ron goes fast as hell. End of story. Why do some of you insist on criticizing someones choice. If you want to paint a pretty body, please do. If you don't, oh well. What is most upsetting to me is that the ones yelling the loudest weren't there. If you think someone should set an example, how about you. SHOW UP, OR SHUT UP.

Ken

Well said Mr. Swanson. Once again, great run in Can-Am!

#52 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Ken, we show up, with pretty bodies, well engineered hand built cars, almost every week, for the past four years, since we created this new racing class with INTENT and SPIRIT that some simply ignore.
Some of us make the effort, some don't.
Legal per the rules? Sure. Put up or shut up? Who has been "putting up" here? Who is paying for this forum to begin with? who is promoting this racing beyond this forum?

By the way, congrats on a great driving job at the Sano, and at least your car was nicely presented. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#53 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Because it's cheaper and easier to sit at home in front of the computer and whine about what they don't like. ;)

i race plenty enough at my local raceway.....dont know why you take such offence to my opinion,,,,,,,who am i to you?????? why you care so much about my opinion????? it was just an observation,,,,,get over it....... i have junk paint jobs, but if i was at a state event or a premier event , i wouldnt be caught dead racing a primer racer!!!

not all of us are as fortunate as you and can afford to go to the top races.. i thought this was supposed to be fun and be full of spirit??????
Justin Kirkendall
(account disabled at member's request)

#54 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Justin, well said. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#55 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

not all of us are as fortunate as you and can afford to go to the top races.. i thought this was supposed to be fun and be full of spirit??????

It was full of fun and spirit, I'm sorry you couldn't make it.

#56 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

What should I do? I'm going to the Columbus Race this spring. Should I spend all my time painting a couple of pretty bodies for one chassis. Or should I quickly paint about a dozen or more different bodies to fit several chassis. So I can practice, pick out the best combo and have a race body saved in the box. Do I want to try and win, or I am just there for the Spirit. Rah,Rah, sis, boom bah. :shok: :blink: Maybe I should just spend the money on one purty body that may not work rather than buy a dozen.

Is there Spirit in telling someone that their paint job is ugly?
Dan
{ I personally know Mr Hershman got a D- in crayon while in pre-school }

PS: Maybe some of us are just paint challenged
GallerymanDan

#57 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

We are now in mid October. Spring is 5 months away. How long does it take to paint 10 bodies so that they don't look like cheap thrash?
I am also paint challenged, but at least I try to put the effort.

Philippe de Lespinay

#58 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

We are now in mid October. Spring is 5 months away. How long does it take to paint 10 bodies so that they don't look like cheap thrash?
I am also paint challenged, but at least I try to put the effort.

So what if the spring and the R4-3 is five months away. I will be there with my one color paint jobs. It has nothing to do with time nor painting 10 bodies.

I will probably have 20 one color painted bodies. So what's your point???

I will spend the five months prepping for the race in other ways.

At least I will be there and PARTICIPATING!!!!!

How much effort are some of you putting in to attend the race and PARTICIPATE????

#59 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

It was full of fun and spirit, I'm sorry you couldn't make it.

Well said Ralph.

I have attended 2 Sanos and 2 R-4's and had tons of fun.

Some just don't get it.

#60 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

What should I do? I'm going to the Columbus Race this spring. Should I spend all my time painting a couple of pretty bodies for one chassis. Or should I quickly paint about a dozen or more different bodies to fit several chassis. So I can practice, pick out the best combo and have a race body saved in the box. Do I want to try and win, or I am just there for the Spirit. Rah,Rah, sis, boom bah. :shok: :blink: Maybe I should just spend the money on one purty body that may not work rather than buy a dozen.

Is there Spirit in telling someone that their paint job is ugly?
Dan
{ I personally know Mr Hershman got a D- in crayon while in pre-school }

PS: Maybe some of us are just paint challenged

Dan I have some of those real purty 75.00 bodies.... I put one on my car and it slowed it over a tenth.

I'll go trashy and ugly..... but I'll be fast and have fun at the same time.

#61 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

and you notice every body there looks better than any of your "fast ones"
my stainless body (not painted by myself) still had twice the detail that anything you ran at the sano !!!!!! and i dont own a company that makes slot car parts/bodies/etc!!!!!!!! you would think owning a company and all , that you would present yourself better.....i guess not.....what respect i had for you and your accomplishments is all but gone ( like you care) but cmon ,,,,,i wasnt asking for the mona lisa, just some effort.............i guess my opinion means alot , now that ive lit the fire under the great hershman!!!!! All hail

Here is what I ran and won with at last years R4-2 P and Harry...... is there a problem with this????

R4_winner.jpg

#62 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Looks fine to me :)

I wish we had concours for chassis ;)

Don't let these guys spin you up, Ron, they are just jealous. Primer gray is the sexiest paint ever :D

Paul Wolcott

#63 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

"We are now in mid October. Spring is 5 months away. How long does it take to paint 10 bodies "

PDL You don't know me. Besides being old and slow, I will wait to the last minute to do them. Painting Bodies are not high on my priority list.. But, I will do my Best to meet Spirit standards.
GallerymanDan

#64 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

Looks fine to me :)

I wish we had concours for chassis ;)

Don't let these guys spin you up, Ron, they are just jealous. Primer gray is the sexiest paint ever :D

They don't have me spun up at all. They can dish it all they want...they need to be prepared to take when it gets dished to them.

The bottom of the cars should be included in the concours judging.

#65 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

"We are now in mid October. Spring is 5 months away. How long does it take to paint 10 bodies "

PDL You don't know me. Besides being old and slow, I will wait to the last minute to do them. Painting Bodies are not high on high on my priority list.. But, I will do my Best to meet Spirit standards.

Good point Dan.... some "evil" body maker could come out with a new "must have" body a month before the race and all those bodies that were painted 4 months earlier may not be competitive no matter how they are painted.

#66 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

Good point Dan.... some "evil" body maker could come out with a new "must have" body a month before the race and all those bodies that were painted 4 months earlier may not be competitive no matter how they are painted.

Ya Ron,
But they sure will look purdy sittin in your pit box :laugh2: :laugh2:
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#67 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

PDL You don't know me. Besides being old and slow, I will wait to the last minute to do them. Painting Bodies are not high on my priority list.. But, I will do my Best to meet Spirit standards.

Dan, that's the spirit! :)
And I am old and slow too, so don't feel lonely. I am one of the oldest racing at BP. I am awaiting my 67th B-day. :(

Philippe de Lespinay

#68 Victor Poulin

Victor Poulin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

Philippe,
Good for you !! Thats the great thing about slots, It doesnt matter what age you are. So your trigger finger might be a tad slower, are you still having fun? After all, isnt that what its all about?
Alright, who cut the cheese?

#69 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Here is what I ran and won with at last years R4-2 P and Harry...... is there a problem with this????

R4_winner.jpg

surprisingly, by my high standards (HAHA) yes , it is alot better, IMO....just coloring a vent or detailing the door lines anything..im sure alittle sharpie dosnt add more than a 1/16th of a gram.....My only point in starting the thread was to point out some REALLY REALLY GOOD paint jobs and some painted with no effort whatsoever.....I didnt mean to get anyone flamed up or whatnot.
hopefully at one point in my racing career i will get to run with the top guys and you can find out im just a punk kid who likes to have FUN with his toys...im competitive , but not where the point im buying 20 bodies just to shave a 1/10000 of a second off my lap time. i'll talk trash, but im not afraid to take a loss,,,
once again, take what i say with a grain of salt...

also.....Please dont call me Harry,,,Justin is good, or perhaps Kid ...whatever.....
Justin Kirkendall

#70 Windyracer

Windyracer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

Ken, we show up, with pretty bodies, well engineered hand built cars, almost every week, for the past four years, since we created this new racing class with INTENT and SPIRIT that some simply ignore.
Some of us make the effort, some don't.
Legal per the rules? Sure. Put up or shut up? Who has been "putting up" here? Who is paying for this forum to begin with? who is promoting this racing beyond this forum?

By the way, congrats on a great driving job at the Sano, and at least your car was nicely presented. :)

TSR, Wasn't refering to you. I know that you show up. I was refering to those out there that sit at the computer, critique almost everything, and don't show up to the bigger races. If you chose to race only at your local track, hey fine. But please don't critisize those that do attend them because they don't paint up to your standards. You want to raise the standard at a big race, show up with all of your pretty cars and race.

The point I'm trying to make here is that going the extra mile regarding painting and detailing is a choice, not a requirement. Some racers concentrate on going fast, some on pretty cars, and some do both. The fact that they are coming out and racing is what is most important.

Thank you very much for the congrats. I do try to make my cars look good as well as go fast.

Cheers, Ken B)

Ken Swanson

Team BOW
JK Products
Chicagoland Raceway
ISRA USA Great Lakes Region

#71 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:29 AM

The driver (in the car) is a piece of crap.

People who didn't race slot cars in it's hayday (the 60's) for the most part don't get it. If you had to describe slot racing back then in one word the word would have to be "Romantic". A lot of us were young kids and teenagers with vivid imaginations of racing in a Grand Prix or Le Mans race when we grew up. The movie's Gran Prix with James Gardner and Le Mans with Steve McQueen came out. The cars were beautiful and you wanted your slot car to look as good. That's the spirit of Retro that some don't get, it's not just the camaraderie.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#72 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

its all just an opinion. no one is forcing you to paint beyond the minimum requirements. i just pointed out the good and bad....The first thing that was said was congrats to Noose on some really nice bodies........so i dont want to hear this crap all us "keyboard racers" do is sit at the computer and point out the bad.....

i will continue to race my "above standard" bodies at my local raceway,,,,,one day i'll make a big event and theres no way i'll be driving a undetailed primer gray piece...i guess i just have a little more pride than some of these guys who i thought were "the best"...
Justin Kirkendall

#73 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

I do try to make my cars look good as well as go fast.

Cheers, Ken B)

Me too and sometimes it works. :laugh2: I think everyone needs to calm down. Ron's car and Ralph's car passed tech. It is not mandatory but requested that the bodies be presentably painted. End of that discussion OK.

For some, including me, I think you can have a good looking car, it can be very fast, and you can win. Tony P has proven this, Gorski has proven this, and Kisling too. They have all run my painted bodies and won races with them.

It's a personal choice. Retro painting like I did back then as well as Bloom and Kovacs were cool. Realistic? Not at all in almost all cases. Lately I try to blend the 2 together. Did that for my F1 and my Can-Am King cars this time (the Marlboro themed ones).

Swanson ALWAYS has good looking cars and goes fast. He sure proved that on Sunday.

So relax guys. Dirty Harry, if you want to run a pretty car then by all means do so. If someone wants to run a single colored body then let them do so too.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#74 DirtyHairy

DirtyHairy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

they are more than welcome to run any car they wish (that passes tech) i just pointed things out. my opinion...why do they care so much about me and my opinion???? i must have struck a nerve......maybe some of these guys are paint challenged....ouch sorry....

my opinion was just that someone in these guys position (i think some racers look up to these guys, or idolize them) would have presentable (IMO) cars.....i guess its a measure of spirit.....

i agree the discussion is over,,, i guess i'll find something else to complain about , since thats all us "keyboard racers " do.......

had to edit the post: those marlboro bodies were SICK.....Awesome job Noose!!!!!
Justin Kirkendall

#75 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

If someone wants to run a single colored body then let them do so too.

It has nothing to do with "one color". All my cars are rattle canned one color, but I make my own decals and spend a lot of time putting them on. I think my cars look good.

Noose,

In your opinion is painting a driver/interior all black and then putting a red dot on top of the helmet to meet the two color requirement fulfill the intent of the spirit of retro?

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

Electric Dreams Online Shop