• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#251 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:16 AM

Two things to note here, Jim why is the one panel upside down on your box?

The repro box you pictured from Ebay has an identifying mark I put on some copies I made about 30 years ago. I marked the copies I made so I could tell if they were the original for nay other copies made. This one has that mark. Does anybody see the mark I put on the original copy this box came from. I found that unbuilt mag kit in my father in laws attic back around 1985.

Matt Bishop

#252 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hi Matt,

Are you talking about the Gurney Box I created recently, with all the insert trays?

I thought that it was strange that one panel, with all the legal copy should be upside down. If the box is standing on end, as in the photo I attached of an original complete Gurney for sale, that panel is actually facing the viewer and is not distracting like an upside down image would be. For reference, I used that photo and photos of a friends actual box, also attached. If you look at the photo of my friends box, the side view, you can see clearly that the box top is placed on/over the inner box. When sitting stacked on a shelf, that panel is actually rotated 180 degrees of the other side and 2 end panels.

The gentleman, that made the very attractive repro boxes years ago for Philippe, actually mistakenly (or maybe on purpose) has that panel incorrect, although it does follow logic based on how all other Cox boxes are printed. I've also included that photo again.

​Thanks for your comments,

Joe (not Jim unless your observations were directed toward someone else)

Attached Images

• Philippe_friends_box.jpg
  • GurneySidePanel.jpg
  • OriginalGurneyForSale.jpg

Joe Kunka

#253 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

Joe, I've had 3-4 of those boxes over the years including one sealed kit. I sure didn't remember that panel being upside down. So much for the memory!

Matt Bishop

#254 welslotcar

welslotcar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

Which set of repro decals best match the decals that came with the Cox Ford Stock Car kit?

Bill Leone

#255 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

Hi Matt,

I never saw an original box in person, only photos. When I started the box, I had it set up wrong and only after I looked closer at the photos, that I just attached, did I flip the panel. As far as I know, it appears to be the only box printed in this format. I'll admit, it does seem odd.

Joe

Joe Kunka

#256 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

I have two original Gurney boxes and that panel is flipped!  Haven't forgotten about a car for you Joe, it's just been crazy here.

Brad Blohm

#257 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Brad knows! He's the guy I go to for answers!!

Matt Bishop

#258 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the reply. So to confirm, is my box correct? Please say yes.

I'm attaching my latest art. My Gurney display card, suitable for framing! Standard frame size, 12x16, from any Walmart or Target. Shown with my repro box.

Joe

Phone: 914-539-1449 

Email: jmkunka@optonline.net

Attached Images

• GurneyDisplayCard4.jpg
  • GurneyDisplayCard3.jpg
  • GurneyDisplayCard2.jpg
  • GurneyDisplayCard1.jpg

Joe Kunka

#259 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hey Joe,

Your box looks like my original boxes!  Need to buy one soon to see the colors.  I also like your pictures for the untouched insides!

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm awed by the knowledge of Philippe, Mark, Bernard, Bill Wessels, and Phil Smith's knowledge of vintage Scalextric cars.  I may have a couple tidbits of MPC, AMT, or Dyna-Rewind stuff, but...  Happy to help when I can!

Brad Blohm

#260 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:55 AM

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the kudos! I'd love to see how close I am with the colors. Even if the color is off, it's still an eye catcher. The original was a real nice design right from the start. I really enjoyed making it.

If you're really interested in a sample, maybe we can use it toward a trade for one of your original Gurney slot cars. I can throw in the 2E box also, at least as a deposit!

Joe

Joe Kunka

#261 Slot Car Mods Magazine

Slot Car Mods Magazine

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

What a stunning build, and that chassis is a work of art...

Well done...

:good:

Ron Todhunter
-----------------------------------------
SLOT CAR MODS MAGAZINE
"Everybody's Slot Car Magazine"
info@slotcarmods.com
-----------------------------------------

#262 geardriven

geardriven

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

An original Cox Gurney Ford would be the pinnacle of my collection and someday that desire may become reality.  In the interim, I am interested in knowing if their are person(s) out there who build this frame for the purpose of sale. Dependent upon price, a nicely built clone with an assortment of NOS Cox parts, some common chassis parts (axles, tires, etc), plus a nicely prepared AMT 1/25 Ford Galaxie body could make a vehicle that closely brings out the mechanical and aesthetic values of the real kit.

My desire would be to build one to enjoy and race (not spelled d-e-m-o-l-i-t-i-o-n)....  If something does break, there are likable avenues to obtain replacement parts without hunting down and or taking another original car out of collectorship for the purpose of parts.

I hold respect for the purists as I have a small collection of original cars myself.  I feel their could be a co-existence where  the collectors collect and maintain the authentic copies while others can own a clone and have the fun they desire.  

I raise this question to the forum as I consider availability of "clone parts" and the cost of building a clone vs. why not own an original and build an AMT flat-pan sidewinder for racing purposes....???....or any other thoughts/idea...???

Thanks

PS....I am putting my "drool bucket" back on now.....I have been looking at a Cox Gurney Ford original and my desk is a mess...lol  

Chuck Tresp

#263 Slot_Grasshopper

Slot_Grasshopper

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

Be careful on this one , without better pics of the chassis I wouldn't bid too high. It sold for ~ 330  last month, and now the same seller is selling again.

Rich Roberts

#264 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

Be careful on this one , without better pics of the chassis I wouldn't bid too high. It sold for ~ 330  last month, and now the same seller is selling again.

This same car ? for sale again ? wow

Paul Bass

#265 Slot_Grasshopper

Slot_Grasshopper

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

This is the link when it sold last month (sold for 350)...  something about the triangle piece on the drop arm doesn't quite look right to me, but picture is too blurry to be conclusive.  

Rich Roberts

#266 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Boy, those pictures are terrible. How do you know what you're going to get with pictures like that? :o

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#267 Frank Godbey

Frank Godbey

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

and it looks like it was a red body painted white. real ones molded in white. and looks like a busted windshield post. and it should not have windshield wipers molded in. but pictures are so bad.

#268 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

What Im confused over is how is it selling again ? Same car , same guy , the last auction didnt show a reserve ?

Paul Bass

#269 Slot_Grasshopper

Slot_Grasshopper

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:18 AM

If you look at the seller's feedback " left for others" , he left "satisfactory" to the buyer who bought it, so the sale was completed. Speculation on my part would be original buyer got the car and didn't like it for whatever reason and sent back for refund.  

Rich Roberts

#270 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

Possibly that car didn't bid where he wanted and had a friend bid it up. Maybe the friend ended up high bidder. So no sale but positive feedback. Surprised he would re-list it so soon and that he wouldn't add info to the new listing with a reason. It will be the same bidders watching it and they will know the history of the auction. Clear pix of Gurney details are a must before bidding on such cars. Gas filler, cowl area, interior mounting posts, front bumper mounting area. All those areas are different than any models and should be seen clearly.

Matt Bishop

#271 Slot_Grasshopper

Slot_Grasshopper

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

I think this one was well bought,  is missing the decal sheet, box lid rough, but other than that looks pretty good, has a crack on the motor blister, the bidding was at ~ 300 bucks till a minute to  go, then sold for 1183.21,  

Rich Roberts

#272 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Yes, but... I don't see the Cox frame, just an AMT.... 

Don 

#273 Slot_Grasshopper

Slot_Grasshopper

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

At bottom of listing he updated he has the chassis too.  << Found chassis that goes with this kit, no decals!...Good luck >>

Rich Roberts

#274 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

Seems high to me for a kit that is really just a builder and not a collectable kit. But is is a "Gurney Ford" and sometimes that means more $ than are really justified.

Matt Bishop

#275 jmkunka

jmkunka

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:06 PM

I haven't shown an update recently, but just in case anyone is interested, my venture in the reproduction box business is coming to a close. I've sold over a dozen each of my Cox Gurney and 2E display boxes. I believe only one person on slotblog was truly interested, and we made a fair trade. All my other sales have been through ebay. I'm not surprised. I understand the desire to own an original, but how many originals actually exist that anyone would be proud to display. At least I can say everyone who has purchased one of my reproductions is satisfied. Even though my following is small, I'm proud I have reached beyond the boarders of the United States.

I've attached a few pictures of my latest sales before they shipped.

Attached Images

• IMG_0632.JPG
  • IMG_0652.JPG
  • IMG_0650.JPG
  • IMG_0637.JPG

• n.elmholt and Samiam like this
Joe Kunka

Electric Dreams Online Shop