• This topic is locked This topic is locked
212 replies to this topic

#151 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Agree 100%. Almost without exception, our closest races are in the classes with our slowest motors. In NorCal, we use the obviously slowish Slick 7 Mini Brute in several classes and those races are not only closer than our classes with faster motors, they are also more fun.

In fact, our recent event at Fast Track Hobbies produced our closest ever race when you consider the top six racers. We had six places decided by five laps and this was with 4 1/2" inline Retro stock cars with Mini Brute motors on a flat track.

Now, that was fun....................just sayin'

Wow Jim , that really sounds like a FUN & CLOSE race indeed ! :D

#152 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I may be going out on a limb here but I believe that every motor builder who has voiced their opinion on this thread would not "require" all racers to do the same. If a racer wants to just send their motor in for refurbishing then that would be fine. That same type of consideration should be allowed to racers who prefer to go through their motors before sending them in for refurbishing. Why is that such an evil practice? After reading some of the posts you can tell it's already been going on. Don't take my word for it.

Rick, thank you for supporting the idea of going through the motors. Every motor I took apart had end bell bushings that were not glued in and magnets that were misaligned holding the arm too low in the set up. I prefer my brushes to ride in the center of the comm.. Like Rick I like to use the magnet taps to hold the magnets tightly before I glue the magnets in. It helps the longevity of the motor to do these things.

Noose, if you feel that going through the motor before having it refurbished is not legal and cheating does that mean that Ron was cheating all along and only a few of us contested it, or was this just a shady back room deal granted by the BOD just to appease Ron. By the way just to refresh your memory I never said Ron was cheating. I just believed he had an unfair advantage, but that's not what your saying in this thread (posts #125 and #128) it looks to me like you agree he was cheating or at the very least running illegal motors unless a back room deal did exist, correct? I and I'm sure many others would love to here the explanation of why it wasn't stopped at the onset but allowed to continue until recently.
Fred Younkin

#153 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

From the "outside looking in", I just want to say that this racing is, and has been, a resounding success.  That means that the rules have worked to keep racers at the tracks as they stand.  There is plenty of racing for guys who want to mess with motors, and not all of it is uber-expensive.  If that's what floats a person's boat, then they should look for those classes.  It seems to me that, if enough people were asking, then other classes could always be added, but why fix what ain't broke?

Agree 100%. Almost without exception, our closest races are in the classes with our slowest motors. In NorCal, we use the obviously slowish Slick 7 Mini Brute in several classes and those races are not only closer than our classes with faster motors, they are also more fun .

Well, that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  The slower the motors are, the less driving is required.  Even slower motors still "could" make for even closer racing, until all the cars were full-punch all the time.  Then again, that would be just a slower version of the two-blip-wing-car-in-a-punchbowl stuff some people decry as "pointless" (at least until they try it).

Anyway, it's critical that sanctioned racing has an authority to set rules and that people respect those rules.  The success of this kind of racing proves that.

-john

John Havlicek

#154 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think we are getting away from the original question in this post (me included). DocinCocoa asked if it is legal to open your motor and blueprint it before sending it to be refurbed. He did not ask if it should be legal.

Reading the rule it looks to me as if it clearly is not legal.

• Wizard Of Iz likes this
Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#155 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

I think we are getting away from the original question in this post (me included). DocinCocoa asked if it is legal to open your motor and blueprint it before sending it to be refurbed. He did not ask if it should be legal.

Reading the rule it looks to me as if it clearly is not legal.

'Nuff said.

Now we can move on to the next horse.

Rollin Isbell

#156 NJ SpeedZone

NJ SpeedZone

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

My question is what about the "cheating"racers who have done this and now have "illegal"motors in there possession. Are they going to allowed to race ? The bod was aware of this practice and did nothing then.How about now???
  • Joe Mig likes this
Mic Byrd/Mike Iles

#157 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

My question is what about the "cheating"racers who have done this and now have "illegal"motors in there possession. Are they going to allowed to race ? The bod was aware of this practice and did nothing then.How about now???

Since possession is 9/10s of the law ..... At $75 ea. it would take a lot of protest dollars to Ferret them out.

In the Hatfield–McCoy feud, with testimony evenly divided, the doctrine that possession is nine-tenths of the law caused Floyd Hatfield to retain possession of the pig that the McCoys claimed was their property.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#158 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't have the patience to search thru 6 years of motor questions, but sending in an unsealed motor was not considered illegal when Hershman was the motor chair, he posted he checked for being in compliance and nothing was modified, then sealed.  I can't speak for anyone else but myself on my motors. I stated some reasons why opening and LOOKING at the parts is just smart to do. If we now buy a new motor and it's not so stellar, one could read the arm resistance and decide if they want to spend another $19, plus ship costs both ways, or ask for a new arm to be installed. You  can't polish a turd, period. If I had the advantage to have 200+ arms in  my hands to check, I would have ALL good arms in all my set-ups, but not many have this perk. Arms vary even when wound of a CNC bobbin winder. I reading of 10 counts will be the difference between a good one and a turd. I guess I could buy 25 arms and check them and then send in a sealed motor and ask to have those installed, instead of the one inside now, but who wants to spend that kind of money or even has that kind to throw around? It is what it is. I have seen already 2 people state they are done. Jay brings up a good point, what do we do with all the motors from this day in time back? If anyone ever wants to check my motors, feel free to approach me and it will only cost you $23, for the price to be resealed and returned to me. I'll bring all the tools necessary to check everything for you too!

• Samiam likes this

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#159 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't have the patience to search thru 6 years of motor questions, but sending in an unsealed motor was not considered illegal when Hershman was the motor chair, he posted he checked for being in compliance and nothing was modified, then sealed.  I can't speak for anyone else but myself on my motors. I stated some reasons why opening and LOOKING at the parts is just smart to do. If we now buy a new motor and it's not so stellar, one could read the arm resistance and decide if they want to spend another $19, plus ship costs both ways, or ask for a new arm to be installed. You  can't polish a turd, period. If I had the advantage to have 200+ arms in  my hands to check, I would have ALL good arms in all my set-ups, but not many have this perk. Arms vary even when wound of a CNC bobbin winder. I reading of 10 counts will be the difference between a good one and a turd. I guess I could buy 25 arms and check them and then send in a sealed motor and ask to have those installed, instead of the one inside now, but who wants to spend that kind of money or even has that kind to throw around? It is what it is. I have seen already 2 people state they are done. Jay brings up a good point, what do we do with all the motors from this day in time back? If anyone ever wants to check my motors, feel free to approach me and it will only cost you $23, for the price to be resealed and returned to me. I'll bring all the tools necessary to check everything for you too!

All good points Rick. If enough racers agree then perhaps a case could be made for changing the motor rules at a future date. As I said in an earlier post that would actually benefit me personally.

However the rule currently does clearly state unopened and unmodified, and unless that is changed I have to take it at face value.

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#160 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Noose

I have 3 motors seating on my work Table in the package sealed can see that the spacing is gunk the brush hood on 2 need to be fixed let me know if I fix these problems after I run them in before the Brawl and send them out for a refurb at PS will Dan do it and seal them Or has he been told by the BOD not accept motors with no seal as of now??

Thanks Jason

Best way to solve this at Major races is run all Hand outs just my 2 cents

P.S. I love to build motors but this is easy stuff to fix.

• Samiam likes this

#161 John Miller

John Miller

This space for rent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I have a what if question.

The IRRA TM has now taken a stance that motors must have a seal for the refurbisher to rebuild.

What if the IRRA LLC allows unsealed motors to be refurbished, inspected/verified and resealed.

How is a manufacturer to verify what organization the motors will be ran in?

• Samiam likes this

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

ProSlot.png

#162 slotracer43

slotracer43

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

The use of sealed motors in Retro Racing, or any racing for that matter always seems to lead to greater participation. The idea that everyone is on an equal playing field motor wise is very appealing to many racers. By using sealed Puppy Dog motors that can also be refurbished is also another appealing aspect to racers. Obviously, using motors like this has always left the door open for racers to work on them and then having them sealed. It is almost impossible to enforce the rule that disallows this. However, it is cheating, plain and simple. But, that's all part of any form of racing, "cheating" or "bending the rules" . Personally I'm content sending my motors to Proslot and letting them do the work.  

Adam Chaya

#163 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

A drifted thread topic in this post already stated it; enough unfair speculating about what Ron Hershman may or may not have done in previous races.

One simply has to acknowledge what was at stake for him in his business endeavors if someone ever protested his motor and it was found to be out of spec...he would be locked out of future competition AND the implications regarding his fair sportsmanship would have been foundationally tarnished. That's a lot to risk...I imagine he has thought the potential consequences through in more detail than I, a casual observer in this thread. A good business man would never risk it and Ron is still in business!

Besides, I have attended many races where Ron was entered (even a hand-out motor race!) and, while running in the Main, he would not have been in the top half of the Main in top end speed - his advantage was in at least a few OTHER performance optimized parameters.

Bottom line, my opinion, based on watching "the best of us", is in agreement with a number of other posts that the top motor does not ensure a win for anyone.

On the other hand, all other things being equal, a shorter time on the straights IS the gift that keeps on giving lap after lap all race long!

Keep it in the slot (like Ron!),

AJ

• Ralph Thorne likes this

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#164 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

I raced Sat at PJR and just could not find a fast enough motor for F1. These motors were not new or fresh refurbs but the comms looked ok and the arm dye wasn't burnt. What do I do with them? I can't meter them to check the arms now. Do I send them in for a roll of the dice refurb? Ask for new arms and take another roll of the dice? What I used to do is load arms into a good set up and track test. Good arms got put in a setup and sent in for a refurb/reseal.  No modifications of any sort. No hanky panky motor tricks/cheating. Just trying to make the most of my motor program.

All my opened PS motors will now be used as Retro Pro builds. They are great little power plants that will find a home in some of my track cars. X-12 Mini-can Wing Cars or GT-12s? No big deal.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#165 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

AJ,

Nobody implied that Ron was using out of spec parts in his motors. The ability to cherrypick through 100 arms and set ups for himself or his customers was the only point made. This is NOT cheating,just an advantage the average schmoe racer like myself does not have. Is it an unfair advantage for him and his customers? Now that I can't cherrypick through my ten motors for the best combination of LEGAL parts.....YES!

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."

George W. Bush

#166 Josh Crutchfield

Josh Crutchfield

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have a what if question.
The IRRA TM has now taken a stance that motors must have a seal for the refurbisher to rebuild.
What if the IRRA LLC allows unsealed motors to be refurbished, inspected/verified and resealed.
How is a manufacturer to verify what organization the motors will be ran in?

The IRRA TM could choose only one refurber to do the motors. Since all the motors come out of the bag with a PtoSlot seal it only makes sense to use them. This could be done over a period of time or just at national events. It would be easier to police one refurber.

Trying to blueprint these motors is a waste of time and effort. There is no benefit from matched magnets. Your time and money is best spent on brushes and springs.

Josh
  • Joe Mig and Mike Patterson like this

#167 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

I wonder how many of the new {less turn} arms found there way into the old thicker cans.   And how many racers out there know that there is a difference.

GallerymanDan

#168 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Dan,

Are you referring to Puppy Dog American arms?

Sam Levitch

George W. Bush

#169 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Doc, I told you this would be a long thread :laugh2:

The IRRA Motor Chair is conspicuous in his absence here.....I assume he is working feverishly behind the scenes to rectify the fact  many people have been cheating all along......

Paul Wolcott

#170 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

I wonder how many of the new {less turn} arms found there way into the old thicker cans.   And how many racers out there know that there is a difference.

Actually Dan the older cans were the thinner ones.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#171 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Paul,

If you check back on previous threads where this was discussed racers were told they could do this by BoD members. So it was NOT cheating. There is not much you can do to these motors that the refurbers don't do anyway. Only benefit is weeding out the Dog arms.

Sam Levitch

George W. Bush

#172 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Screenshot_2013-08-18-18-50-53.png

The beatings will continue.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#173 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Sam, show me or quote me, one single IRRA BOD member who stated it was legal to open up a motor before sending it in to be "refurbed and re-sealed".  One of the refurbishers in question admitted it was being done, and he admitted to his complicity,  but never has an IRRA BOD member said this was legal. RSVP.  If I am wrong I will stand corrected.

Paul Wolcott

Paul Wolcott

#174 W. J. Dougherty

W. J. Dougherty

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Paul,

The refurbisher you talk about was an IRRA BoD member at the time this was all brought up the first time. He was very specific about allowing people to work on their own motors before sending it to him. He said that he would then check each opened motor to ensure that it met manufacturer specs. If it met specs he would seal it; if not he wouldn't and then send it back to the owner.
Yortuk & Georg Festrunk

#175 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Those of you who say "stop beating a dead horse" are obviously trying to avoid the issue.

Avoiding the problem will not make it go away.  It isn't a "dead horse" until IRRA addresses and resolves it.

THEN, and only then will it become a "dead horse".

Those of you who have twisted the sentence "must remain unopened and unmodified" to suit your personal agenda are so wrong.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

IRRA should be ashamed of themselves, also, for allowing this to have happened in the first place, and for taking so long to resolve it.  It is obvious the wording in the rules needs to be changed, and there is no excuse for taking forever to fix it.  Why can't you make a BOD conference call and fix it once and for all ?

This issue just keeps resurfacing time and again.  Why ? Because it IS an issue and it needs to be fixed.

If your ears are burning, maybe I hit a vein ? :)

• Tim Neja likes this

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop