Steve Meadows

#52 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

I think Tony meant the USRA one, not the NZ one.

Of course, not an issue if it's not intended to run at the USRA Nat's.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#53 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

Exactly.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#54 MarkH

MarkH

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

Depending on the number to be stamped, it will be a ton cheaper on the tooling to have the blanks laser cut and then form the bends with the punch press die. The forming section of a multi stage punch press die will last longer than the cutting sections. There must be draft below the cut line to allow the slugs to drop out to the scrap bin. Each time the die is sharpened the distance between the cutting edge of the punch and the die grows. Generally it is 10% of the thickness being stamped or .004" here. At some point the gap becomes big enough to cause the edge to roll and break off instead of cutting. Some where around 15-20%, or .006 to .008" problems could start to show themselves requiring more investment to correct the issue.

Keep in mind it will take several regrinds to get there but it will happen.

With the laser cut blanks the tooling to form the final product will last a LONG time.

IMHO, if the chassis is stamped to form the final product it should be good to the regs. I am sure opinions will vary.

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#55 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

"Stamped and formed" sounds like 2 different processes.

JMO

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#56 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

For kicks, I Googled "stamping die".

The first answer that wasn't an ad, was;

Die Basics 101: Part I

and said;

What Is a Stamping Die?

A stamping die is a special, one-of-a-kind precision tool that cuts and forms sheet metal into a desired shape or profile.

Mike Swiss

#57 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

Stamping (also known as pressing) is the process of placing flat sheet metal in either blank or coil form into a stamping press where a tool and die surface forms the metal into a net shape. Stamping includes a variety of sheet-metal forming manufacturing processes, such as punching using a machine press or stamping press, blanking, embossing, bending, flanging, and coining.[1] This could be a single stage operation where every stroke of the press produces the desired form on the sheet metal part, or could occur through a series of stages.

Key words being: "placing flat sheet metal in either blank or coil form into a stamping press". The blanks are laser cut then "stamped and formed" into the final shape. So IMHO....this chassis conforms to USRA rules.   

• Tim Neja likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#58 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

I'm sure that USRA rule was created to keep EDM chassis from being legal. EDM is still an expensive process. Laser/water cutting is a fraction of the cost of EDM and allows far more flexibility in production over hard tooling (punch and forming dies) and the direct costs are much lower than hard tooling too….

I'm glad someone looked it up: punching a piece of metal to desired dimensions, whether it's a "blank" or continueously punched from a roll of material is *forming*.

• Samiam likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#59 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

Stamping (also known as pressing) is the process of placing flat sheet metal in either blank or coil form into a stamping press where a tool and die surface forms the metal into a net shape. Stamping includes a variety of sheet-metal forming manufacturing processes, such as punching using a machine press or stamping press, blanking, embossing, bending, flanging, and coining.[1] This could be a single stage operation where every stroke of the press produces the desired form on the sheet metal part, or could occur through a series of stages.

Key words being: "placing flat sheet metal in either blank or coil form into a stamping press". The blanks are laser cut then stamped and formed into the final shape. So IMHO....this chassis conforms to USRA rules.

Sam,

You extensively edited your post since I last read it.

You seem to keep ignoring it says "stamped and formed".

It doesn't say "stamped and formed. (Chose any one or both of the above)".

Regardless, if it is submitted, it's up to an USRA official to interpret the rules.

If it is determined to be OK, it will be just that much easier for JK to counter with something better.

With not being restricted to the piece having to be punched, the Czech All-Star Chassis Design Team will have an X26, X27, X28, X29 and X30 for JK to sell to the racers, and let them decide which of the five or more new versions most suits them.

I've been immersed in this for the last 30 years, and the result is always the same.

Grey area guy always gets trumped by bigger resources, better designers guy.

When I came out with the below pictured, laser-cut, and formed, hot rod chassis, I considered for about two minutes to do a similar chassis, for the flexi market.

I quickly realized it would never fly.

With lasered blanks being allowed, and the resulting unlimited fine cuts being possible, as in my hot rod design, just think what the Czechs, or any other good chassis designer, could come up with.

20160101_172941-1.jpg

Mike Swiss

#60 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

Sure hope Matt doesn't let the horse out of the barn. It won't be pretty, unless you like buying the latest greatest chassis of the week.😠
Kevin VanPelt
?/?/56-6/12/23
Requiescat in Pace

#61 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

For kicks, I Googled "stamping die".

The first answer that wasn't an ad, was;

Die Basics 101: Part I

and said;

What Is a Stamping Die?

A stamping die is a special, one-of-a-kind precision tool that cuts and forms sheet metal into a desired shape or profile.

It says "stamped and formed" not "stamping die".

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."

George W. Bush

#62 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

But what do I know. All I did was stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :laugh2:

Sam Levitch

George W. Bush

#63 swodem

swodem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:25 AM

Ok so we spent a day at our flat track with two of these chassis. Can get them quick but not quite as quick as X25. It's a little stiff, which is a benefit and a fault in different areas of the track. I'm assuming that it was designed with fast banked King tracks as the primary usage?

Steve Meadows

#64 Koford fan

Koford fan

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

We have used X-25 for some time now, in addition we have worked with it, straighten things out... the more you work with it, the better it gets

Tom Blantern

#65 mrslotcar.ca

mrslotcar.ca

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hi All

The USRA rules states that it must be a stamped steel chassis in order to be legal.
If we are to trust Wikipedia as our source for definitions, it also says that under the umbrella of "stamping" there are included 12 different possible operations.

What I think is important here is to limit the cost of these chassis. As ISRA has done this year when the governing delegates approved the Patriot Striker into use for 2016. The USRA rulebook does not appear to address this issue

After all, we should be focusing on the primary limiting factor that governs an individual racer's choice, cost; not discussing ad infinitum the nomenclature surrounding the manufacturing processes in such nauseating detail.

If we're all proponents of making this hobby grow, we should all look to the beginner racer. Probably most of us in this thread have been racing longer than we can remember, so we might tend to lose sight of what's really important

Ernie Mossetti
Mossetti Racing
Designer of World Championship and National Championship winning chassis since 1992

• Ramcatlarry, S.O. Watt, Half Fast and 4 others like this

Ernie Mossetti

#66 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

Any plans for a 4.5" or a F1 version?

Sam Levitch

George W. Bush

#67 MarkH

MarkH

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ernie, to your point, using the term "Stamping" is about the same as saying "Racing", Partying, Vacation etc., can be described with a single descriptor set. They are general terms categorizing a subject. This is not much different than saying "Car".  To some this might be an Automobile, Train Car or Roller Coaster section.

I have been in the Machine shop world since 1978. A lot of it building punch press dies or repairing them. Worked my way through job shops, manufacturing plants and specialty products type of companies. After 11 years finally earning the title of "Toolmaker". However, as most know, the title means nothing more than referencing a relative level of skill sets. In no way I am declaring to be an expert of all Machining or Manufacturing techniques. Those who do make that claim should be held to task before accepting their "Expertise". If one talks to 3 machinist/toolmakers about the correct process to use to make a part, while some of the core principles will be followed, you will most likely get three different answers. This is only because the terms Machinist / Toolmaker cover a huge spectrum of disciplines that make up the whole. Much like the term "Stamping"

In my experience, punch press dies, regardless of type or number of stages, were referred to as "Dies". This again may vary depending on the discipline and geographical location of those making the reference.

It seems that the descriptors used for the Flexi car in the rules have their origins based upon the understanding of the technology available at the time pen was put to paper or a continuation of tradition. If these rules were designed to keep cost down then I would submit they need to be updated to reflect current affordable technology. Should it be deemed using laser cutting and forming dies technology is legal and adopted as a universally accepted rule, the flexi world would benefit greatly. Sure you will have some new designs that will outperform current designs but that is merely moving us forward. The "Chassis of the Week" argument would quickly run its course by the manufacturers themselves. It would make little sense to release a product that obsoletes this years release.

Just thinking out loud. Opinions will vary……………...

• Samiam likes this

Mark Horne

There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#68 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

"If we're all proponents of making this hobby grow, we should all look to the beginner racer- Probably most of us in this thread have been racing longer than we can remember - So we might tend to lose sight of what's really important. "

Ernie, I couldn't agree more. Perfectly worded.
  • Cheater, S.O. Watt and TG Racing like this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#69 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

If you put a piece of steel into a press and it performs "work" is it not a die?  Does it matter the shape of the steel "blank" that is used before it is formed?  All a progressive die does is cut away the scrap in the early stations (making a blank) and forming rarely starts before all the cutting is finished.  Do dies make parts from blanks one at a time, coil strips, precut pieces of material or all the above?  I have seen dies that are both progressive in the first few stations and change to transfer (individual parts) at the later stages.  I have seen multiple presses set up to cut blanks then another press forms and a third punches holes & trims the edges and the material is hand transfered from one press to the next.   

Take a chassis to a fabrication shop & have a die quoted.  Whoever quotes it will ask how many do you need.  That answer is what determines the manufacturing process.  Tolerances, delivery, cost determines manufacturing process. 

All these things need balanced to determine the way forward along with a thousand other questions that need answered before the first move is made.  Even the design often changes to aid the manufacturing process.

What I see is now is there needs to be dimensions on a chassis because the program could be changed to alter the "blank" design slightly with no tooling cost involved.  Matt Bruce is a great guy & well versed in manufacturing so I think the USRA will get this one right.

• Frankie Schaffier likes this

#70 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

Sure hope Matt doesn't let the horse out of the barn. It won't be pretty, unless you like buying the latest greatest chassis of the week.

Right, Flexi racing will become just like Retro. LOL.

• Rob Voska likes this
Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

#71 swodem

swodem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

I think the important difference between a stamped or formed chassis and a straight laser cut chassis is there is no assembly required

All uprights (pin tube and axle) are bent, guide tongue formed etc

As against a flat laser cut chassis that comes in 20-odd pieces...

Steve Meadows

#72 MarkH

MarkH

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:51 AM

Any more testing results?

Mark Horne

#73 swodem

swodem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

From me? May get more testing done tomorrow...starts to get secret from here...
  • Samiam likes this

Steve Meadows

#74 MarkH

MarkH

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

Ahhhh, secrets just mean to me there is potential. Sounds like it is pretty good anyway. I would be happy just knowing the relative performance to the X25.

Thanks

Mark Horne

#75 swodem

swodem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

About 1/10th slower on our flat track with a lap speed of low 4.4's and LMP body

Steve Meadows

Electric Dreams Online Shop