Photo

What will it take to see growth in this hobby?

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#26 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

I'm not sure what we're doing here in Oregon would be a working template to grow the hobby in other parts of the country. However here slot car racing's been ongoing for more than 30 years. Commercial tracks in Oregon have failed utterly. They used to spring up, last for 2-3 years , then poof-gone. Meanwhile in Portland, Salem, Bend, Eugene and Roseburg home and club tracks have thrived for a long, long time.

All these tracks have formal weekly racing programs with the racers committed to scratch building exclusively 1/24th hard body scale appearing cars. Racing invigorates the many interests discussed here: building, collecting, trading, buying, selling, modeling cars and delving in track side scenery art work.

My collection. All race ready 1/24th slot cars designed to race in our 13 different classes that depict the many eras of motor sports from the 1930's to the present.

Work bench.jpg

12 members' NASCARS, from 1949 to the present, 3 classes: Vintage stock cars, 1949-to'60;  Super Stock, 1960-'75; Contemporary, 1990's to 2019

NASCARS, all.jpg

• Pappy, Tim Neja, PCH Parts Express and 2 others like this
Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#27 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:43 PM

How many members do you have below the age of;
65-
55-
45-
35-
25-
15-

How many father-sons?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#28 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

NASCAR turnout September, 2018

Big draw NASCAR 9-12-18.jpg

55 plus,

1 set,  father, son

no teens; younger ones don't get it.

• Pappy, MSwiss, Tim Neja and 2 others like this
Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#29 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

Todd, you guys have a great group, but there's not many 1/24 club groups anywhere else I know of.   Maybe there is a 1/24 club group in  St. Louis?

Matt Bishop

#30 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:21 PM

There is a group in St. Louis.

Chas Beeman is one of the members.

They race a ton of different things, including 1/32 non plastic cars.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#31 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

St Louis: Gateway Slot Racing Association

I forgot to mention: North West  Association of Slot Car enthusiasts.  A fair number of Portlanders who race primarily 1/32. Their success is comprised of two important factors; RTR 1/32's and "IROC," running on about  8 member owned tracks, some landscaped. Track owners furnish for guests and casually interested folk hand controls and cars. Turnouts for their races can be as high as 16.

Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#32 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

I will preffice this by saying I am not a track owner, just a racer. BUT I am a business man.

I can tell you one thing that will kill the hobby quickly, Buying things off the internet instead of your local track

Consider that your "local" track isn't a "not for profit" agency. They need to make money to stay open. They have bills to pay, rent, utilities, liability insurance, and the owner would actually like to pay bills in his personal life, so he needs a salary to take home.

If you expect them to stay open on only track time, and race entry fees, the tracks are all doomed.

IF you buy your parts online, you just deny the track owner the ability to create a profit from the sale of parts. They need a profit.

If you want a track to race on, then stop trying to save two dollars, and let the track owners make a profit to pay their bills.

By the way, did the track owner charge you shipping, like the website did? How much do any of us save, when there is no track to go to?

Nuff said.

There's no going back now. No raceway's retail sales will be able to keep up with the internet for price and selection.

• NSwanberg, MattD and Dave Buchholz like this
"Line 'em up!"

#33 Don Wedding

Don Wedding

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

I will throw in my two cents for how to grow the Hobby of Slot car racing. Get the tracks back into the Bowling alleys . remove the Dust covered Pool Tables and replace them with some Slot tracks. 

That will bring in the exposure needed for the hobby.

The parents would  bring their kids to the alley during league night and instead of getting a baby sitter.

Thats how I was hooked, watching those cars flying around the track, looking at those beautiful kits in the display case, being  asked to track marshall the corners for the pro's ,and witness the skills of racers building and fixing their cars between races. 

Every bowling alley that I know of always has space for a track . They have a grill setup to feed the bowlers, I remember spending a whole day at the alley racing and eating there . 

What do you guys remember about where your local track was? 

Best Regards,

Don

#34 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

That's good Don.   The little track I went to was near the local bowling alley.    There was a hallway back to the bowling alley and  the slot track was along the hallway in a separate room.     The slot track was closed and that area along with a barbershop had the walls torn out and the floor space became part of the bowling alley which put in pinball and pool tables.    About 3 years ago it all closed and  a new bowling alley was built about 15 miles away.    They added indoor rc cars and paintball and the bowling alley was cut to about half the size the local one was.    

I grew up about 2-3 miles from the old bowling alley and knew it and the slot track well.    All us teenagers spent lots of time there.    After slots were long gone, I bowled there regularly for a few years.    Sad to see the past gone.

It burned after closing and was torn down.   I took this picture after it closed.      This was looking from the hallway into the slot shop.    A week later I was in the same place walking around burned insulation and waterlogged insulation.      I should have taken pix in the burned out building.

Slots and similar hobbies will never be the same to very many guys younger than us.   

2081.JPG

daisy 3.jpg

Matt Bishop

#35 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:35 AM

What do you guys remember about where your local track was? 

​Apache Raceway was in a basement location on Michigan Ave in Wayne Michigan.

Attached Images

• Apache raceway.jpg

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas

"Death before disco!" Wanda from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#36 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

I remember as a kid in the 60's wanting to run on these really long tracks until I ran on one that was about 350' long. I spent half my track time walking to the other side of the room to put my car back on.  :laugh2: You never learn the track.

• Tim Neja, John Streisguth and MattD like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#37 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

Lets face it, the next generation has their nose in their phone. If you want to bring them in, you need to reach out to them where they spend their time. We have made posts several times for several customer's stores on our Facebook page. We have then boosted the post at our expense (20 bucks) as a "thank you from us" in their zip code with a mileage radius and using key target words other than "slot car". We tend to use words like racing, hot rod, nascar, etc.  The boosts have repeatedly reached 1500 - 3000 potential new racers depending on other factors. Nearly all of those tracks have responded with increased interest at least for the short term. At $20 it is very effective efficient advertising to gain interest from none racers.

We recently boosted a post for our local air museum for $50 that reached over 14,000 people. Their turn out was huge over the 4 day event.

The next problem I see is the content of posts. A new person stumbling across a store's page, doesn't want to see three people standing there holding cash or prizes and something else (car) which is too small to see. Wouldn't pictures of tracks, cars, inventory along with a few paragraphs be more interesting to a new viewer? I understand giving the podium their spotlight, but it could be accompanied by other prior photos.

While internet sales clearly hurts local stores, the hobby needs to adapt and use this technology to it's advantage regardless of whether we personally approve of Facebook/internet or not. Those stores who have seem to be thriving.

Just my observation......

• Tim Neja likes this

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#38 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

Todd, you guys have a great group, but there's not many 1/24 club groups anywhere else I know of.   Maybe there is a 1/24 club group in  St. Louis?

Ahh, not so, Grasshopper. Electron Raceway in Roseburg, Oregon features 1/24 plastic model bodies, scale wheels and modified production chassis including Scholer, Scale Auto, Slotting plus and Plafit. Check out our section in Slotblog.  http://slotblog.net/...ectron-raceway/

Below are a few examples 

Attached Images

• GT1_Rich2.jpg
  • SC_Ron2.jpg
  • TA_Scott2.jpg

• Pappy, Tim Neja, PCH Parts Express and 4 others like this

Rich Vecchio

#39 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

I’m asked how and why is Pelican Park. Well, the whole unique Oregon 1/24th slot racing scene began with one man’s idea. And About 40 years ago Lee Dundas set out to implement his idea,

Lee believed that model kit bodies could be made strong enough for slot racing.  He also believed that you could mate a model kit body to a scratch built brass/steel chassis and create an excellent slot car: Excellent in appearance and performance.  Lee implemented his idea by allowing and encouraging slot racers access to his private slot track... free of charge... for over thirty years.   He also provided a full selection of all the necessary chassis building ideas and  parts such as motors and tires... at his cost... and many times on credit.  Lee Dundas' track in Wilsonville was the only 1/24 slot racing track in existence in Oregon for 20 years!

Now, if one looks around the state of Oregon, you find the most vibrant and successful slot racing environment in the USA.  Of the "club style" track owners, Tom Street (Bend), Doug Haynes, deceased but 15 locals enthusiastically carry on (Eugene), Bob Hanna (Roseburg), Rich Vecchio (Roseburg), Bob McFarland (Aurora), Gary Howard (Portland) they  have invested their financial resources and, in some cases 20 years time, making Lee Dundas "Idea" into "a Reality". 

To grow the hobby- bottom line:  at least 1 man with dedication, time, patience and money.

• Pappy, Tim Neja, PCH Parts Express and 2 others like this
Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#40 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:22 AM

Now, if one looks around the state of Oregon, you find the most vibrant and successful slot racing environment in the USA.

For you to make that statement, with any kind of accuracy, you would half do have lived in every other part of the United States for some length of time, and sought out all the slot racing.

What you described in Oregon, with the club scene, we have more than that just in the Chicago area, plus the two commercial raceways.

Adding South Bend two hours away it's not even close.

I in no way am saying our area is the strongest.

Just that it's impossible to know who is racing where, and how many people.
  • NSwanberg likes this

Mike Swiss

#41 Aeropro

Aeropro

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Before I became a slot car manufacturer, I managed several other businesses, including a slot car track, a bowling center, and a retail store, so I think I have a fairly broad perspective on business matters. To summarize my thoughts (some of which have been stated by others above):

1) Bowling is nowhere near as popular as it used to be. There are a number of closed bowling centers in my area, despite increases in the population. People (especially young people) are more inclined to stay in their internet cocoons than participate in person.

2) With an R/C car or plane, you don't need an established place or any organized competition, you can have fun in any parking lot or empty field, not so with slot cars.

3) Internet sales, of course. I only sell to legitimate distributors or OEM manufacturers.

4) Lack of promotion. Even with bowling, most league bowlers dropped out within a year or two. We had to do constant promotion just to maintain existing business levels, doing frequent sales calls on businesses, civic organizations, schools, anywhere there were groups of people who might be interested.Who is promoting slot cars on any level? I knew a slot track owner who built a small figure-8 track on a trailer he could pull behind his truck. He would set it up at flea markets, county fairs, town events, and let people try it for a very small amount of money, while handing out flyers for his track. He got a number of new customers for his business this way.

5) Lack of consistent focus and direction. Imagine driving 50 miles to a bowling tournament, only to be told that your bowling ball was illegal because it didn't conform to "local rules"! The result would be chaos. Every sport needs a set of consistent, universally accepted set of rules if it expects to be taken seriously.

There are many other things that can and should be said, but I guess I'll climb down from my soapbox for now....

• Ramcatlarry, Tim Neja and Michael Jr. like this

Rick Franchi
Founder and owner of
Aero Racing Products 1987-2021

#42 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

4) Lack of promotion. Even with bowling, most league bowlers dropped out within a year or two. We had to do constant promotion just to maintain existing business levels, doing frequent sales calls on businesses, civic organizations, schools, anywhere there were groups of people who might be interested.Who is promoting slot cars on any level? I knew a slot track owner who built a small figure-8 track on a trailer he could pull behind his truck. He would set it up at flea markets, county fairs, town events, and let people try it for a very small amount of money, while handing out flyers for his track. He got a number of new customers for his business this way.

Rick,

I 've told the story many times before.

I remember going to big CART race, in Cicero/Chicago, with a few slot car friends.

I saw Juan Montoya cruising around in a small scooter.

It was in Paul Tracy's heydey, to give you an idea of the era.

As we went to our seats, we saw Jerry Kulich, underneath the grandstand, with his portable oval, charging to do races.

He had a long line of people waiting to race.

He told me, years later, he passed out flyers, to everyone, promoting his raceway, with a free 15 minute rental, or something like it.

He said he had one person come in with that flyer.

RGEO Rick has related similar lack of success, with portable tracks, at real race car events.(doing OK at the event itself, but not as far as follow-up customers.)

I've had less than awesome success, passing out flyers at car events.

A person, here or there, will come in once.

The best was someone my wife handed out a flyer to, at the local, Downers Grove Friday night car show.

He was the president of a VW car club, and they have held a Sunday night party, at my raceway, the last 7-8 years, in a row.

What is a bit disappointing, that a few of the guys are really pretty good, but haven't got involved other than the early event.

Anyway, you would think what Jerry and Rick would of been awesome promotion, but it just didn't work out.

Mike Swiss

#43 mgerbetz

mgerbetz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

I drove by my local track for five years saying Im going to stop in there one day.

They're out there; those people that are interested. All they need is a time, a place, and a reason.

MG
Michael Gerbetz

#44 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

When I had my first raceway we advertised in one of those packets they send out to a few thousand people with about a hundred different coupons in it. We paid about $600 for a our coupon with 15 minutes free track time with car and controller. I think we might have gotten back three of them. We also advertised on a couple of radio stations, maybe six people came in.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#45 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

I drove by my local track for five years saying Im going to stop in there one day.

They're out there; those people that are interested. All they need is a time, a place, and a reason.

MG

They're out there all right, they'll decide to come in right after you close the door.

Even with your regular customers, come summer they all have something else to do and then wonder why you closed up just when they're ready to come back.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

2000 Jackasses

#46 mgerbetz

mgerbetz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:07 PM

Totally agree. Thats an issue. What is the solution?

So what is the model for a successful Raceway?
It is certainly not a high rent space thats open 9-5 Monday through Friday, etc, etc, etc.....

I believe there are some guys out there that run successful raceways. We have one here. How do they do it? Why do they appear to be doing well?
Michael Gerbetz

#47 Aeropro

Aeropro

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

Rick,

I 've told the story many times before.

I remember going to big CART race, in Cicero/Chicago, with a few slot car friends.

I saw Juan Montoya cruising around in a small scooter.

It was in Paul Tracy's heydey, to give you an idea of the era.

As we went to our seats, we saw Jerry Kulich, underneath the grandstand, with his portable oval, charging to do races.

He had a long line of people waiting to race.

He told me, years later, he passed out flyers, to everyone, promoting his raceway, with a free 15 minute rental, or something like it.

He said he had one person come in with that flyer.

RGEO Rick has related similar lack of success, with portable tracks, at real race car events.(doing OK at the event itself, but not as far as follow-up customers.)

I've had less than awesome success, passing out flyers at car events.

A person, here or there, will come in once.

The best was someone my wife handed out a flyer to, at the local, Downers Grove Friday night car show.

He was the president of a VW car club, and they have held a Sunday night party, at my raceway, the last 7-8 years, in a row.

What is a bit disappointing, that a few of the guys are really pretty good, but haven't got involved other than the early event.

Anyway, you would think what Jerry and Rick would of been awesome promotion, but it just didn't work out.

Mike,

Sad but true. I wish there was a magic bullet that would work in all cases; if there was I would gladly offer it for free to everyone, but there isn't as far as I know. 

When I was making the transition to retail management (running a multi-million dollar drug store), I was caught off guard by the huge difference between retailing and a recreational service business such as a bowling center or slot car track. At some time in their lives, everyone *needs* something from a drug store, and when your patient recovers (or, sadly, doesn't), someone else gets ill and takes their place; there is a constant stream of new customers by nature. Nobody NEEDS slot car racing, it is a manufactured want, and requires a very different style of management than a mass-market retail store. 

To put it crudely but accurately, a recreational service is (even more than most businesses) a game of numbers. If only 1 person out of 500 who becomes aware of slot car racing gets involved, and you need 100 regular racers to survive, you need to get exposed to 50,000 people to survive. If 10% of current racers drop out every year, you need to contact an additional 5,000 every year just to break even, and more still for your business to grow. I don't know what the actual numbers are for slot car racing (I doubt anyone does--they are well known in the bowling business), but you get the idea. Any recreational service business is extremely promotion intensive--we must constantly find new ways to expose more people to the sport, or we die. Mass-market advertising is not the way: such a small percentage of people will be interested that the vast majority of your advertising dollars will be wasted. What is the answer? I wish I knew. 

• Tim Neja likes this

Rick Franchi
Founder and owner of

#48 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:14 PM

Thats an issue. What is the solution?

Michael,

A drag strip or a full pledged hobby shop helps for starters. Swiss does a lot of birthday parties, I never wanted the aggravation. Fast Eddie in Richmond, Indiana does a lot of Ebay sales, mostly drag cars I think. What I think a lot of successful slot car shop owners are doing is selling stuff on Ebay under a different name at a discount. Anything they make is money they wouldn't have gotten anyway. A lot of their customers don't know they can buy it for less on Ebay. I think there's a lot of that going on. Can't beat em, join em.

Race what your customers want to race. I always raced what I liked to race, big mistake.

• cdtanner likes this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

2000 Jackasses

#49 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,637 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

Mike,
Sad but true. I wish there was a magic bullet that would work in all cases; if there was I would gladly offer it for free to everyone, but there isn't as far as I know. 

When I was making the transition to retail management (running a multi-million dollar drug store), I was caught off guard by the huge difference between retailing and a recreational service business such as a bowling center or slot car track. At some time in their lives, everyone *needs* something from a drug store, and when your patient recovers (or, sadly, doesn't), someone else gets ill and takes their place; there is a constant stream of new customers by nature. Nobody NEEDS slot car racing, it is a manufactured want, and requires a very different style of management than a mass-market retail store. 

To put it crudely but accurately, a recreational service is (even more than most businesses) a game of numbers. If only 1 person out of 500 who becomes aware of slot car racing gets involved, and you need 100 regular racers to survive, you need to get exposed to 50,000 people to survive. If 10% of current racers drop out every year, you need to contact an additional 5,000 every year just to break even, and more still for your business to grow. I don't know what the actual numbers are for slot car racing (I doubt anyone does--they are well known in the bowling business), but you get the idea. Any recreational service business is extremely promotion intensive--we must constantly find new ways to expose more people to the sport, or we die. Mass-market advertising is not the way: such a small percentage of people will be interested that the vast majority of your advertising dollars will be wasted. What is the answer? I wish I knew. 

In the case of advertising, as far as parties, I rely mostly on word of mouth.

If one group of scouts has a good time, chance are another scouting group is going to get wind of it.

Same with kid's birthday parties.

I seldom quiz people how they heard of me, but once in awhile, to make small talk , I do.

They usually answer with stuff like "A bunch of mother's were standing around, and I brought up I don't know where to host my kid's birthday party, and another one recommended me, to you".

I do a lot of parties, from nearby, affluent Hinsdale (that's where yesterday's party was from).

One mentioned they heard about me on a Hinsdale's Mother's FB page.

The best one was when a mother said she heard about me, at her church, during the pastor's sermon, who had a party for one of his children, by me.(he never had mentioned his occupation at the party)

But it's not always a magic bullet.

Sometimes it's a lucky bullet.

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of great customers.

They do everything they can to keep new racers here, vs. running them off.\

An example is Mark from Deerfield.

I touted some of his vintage collection in the below thread.

http://slotblog.net/...luding-dynamic/

He was in today to practice a bit, and to get some parts to build a car for his adult son, who he wants to get reinvolved, along with his brother-in-law.

Mark has raced, off and on, for years, and thus, has been in raceways from the mid-60's, until now.

Geary Gaspord/Backtrack walked in, to drop off an order, and to practice a bit.

I introduced them, and quickly, they were chatting away.

While still in earshot, I heard Mark tell Geary, " I really like it here. Everyone's so friendly. The first time I came in, everyone went out of their way to introduce themselves." (while he practiced by himself, on the other track from where everyone else was racing on)
"I've been to other places, where the other racers just keep to themselves, concentrating on doing their own thing".

So trying to run the raceway with a club atmosphere, while in the short game, sometimes hurts the $$$ coming in, with the long game, I believe it's the way to go.

Michael,

A drag strip or a full pledged hobby shop helps for starters. Swiss does a lot of birthday parties, I never wanted the aggravation. Fast Eddie in Richmond, Indiana does a lot of Ebay sales, mostly drag cars I think. What I think a lot of successful slot car shop owners are doing is selling stuff on Ebay under a different name at a discount. Anything they make is money they wouldn't have gotten anyway. A lot of their customers don't know they can buy it for less on Ebay. I think there's a lot of that going on. Can't beat em, join em.

Race what your customers want to race. I always raced what I liked to race, big mistake.

Parties can be aggravation, but closing up is more aggravation.

And after awhile, they aren't that bad.

The one I held yesterday, almost couldn't of run smoother.

When the dad of 6 year old Hudson came to pay me, he commented how great he thought it went, and added "You must come from a military background, you kept it so orderly". I got a good chuckle.

As far as Ebay, I've never sold anything on it.

Who knows, one day I might.

But for now, for me, I consider it the "last chance saloon".

Earlier today, the same Mark that I mention above, was commenting how during his last fairly serious run at racing slot cars, about 15 years ago, he was convinced that one guy was cheating.

The owners didn't seem to mind, and made excuses for the suspected cheating racer.

To convince himself, he got in touch with a "California guy", who touted how he knew how to take off motor seals, and replace them, without detection.

He bought a motor from the guy, and raced it once, ran even with the suspected cheater, to confirm to himself, this guy was most likely cheating.

I seem to of heard that guy folded up his tent, a year, or so, ago.

The best part, is I've tried about 4 times, to think of that goof's moniker, then, a little later in the afternoon, at dinner, and now, with zero success.

That's a great feeling, not being able to think of that POS's name.

Mike Swiss

#50 Aeropro

Aeropro

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

"In the case of advertising, as far as parties, I rely mostly on word of mouth."

Words of wisdom as always, Mike. After all, that was how I got started all those years ago! A friend of mine brought his slot car to school and showed it to me from his locker (a Batmobile, as I recall.) I instantly wanted one and insisted that he tell me where the track was. That was where it all began...

Rick Franchi
Founder and owner of

Electric Dreams Online Shop