70 replies to this topic

#26 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Charlie, Only JK tires; the RTR car comes with only JK tires. We do not want people spending a lot of money trying to figure out the best tire. Totally unnecessary.  Just stick with the notion that its an RTR car class.  About the gears: the rules states any brand 37 tooth gear. We should have stated: any brand 64 pitch 37 tooth gear.

Jay, the Hawk 7 motor is faster than the JK Retro Hawk and is more reliable since it been coming with the comm wrapped.  We will stick with the Hawk 7. The car class is RTR.

The first RTR race will be at Melbourne in September. Jay, I hope to see you there. I think that you will be running as an expert driver.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#27 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:23 PM

Considering our current "hiatus" status, I'm not sure it would be fair for me or Johnny to comment on the rules for the Series.  

My personal opinion is that it sounds like you guys have nailed it on the rules.  Keep it as close to stock as possible.

Rollin Isbell

#28 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

Rollin: your and Johnny's opinion are always respected. As far as I am concerned you guys are still among the directors on MySeries. Looking forward to seeing you at the next race.  I think that Greg, Phil or you can add these rules to the MySeries website.

Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#29 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

BTW: I want to volunteer to be the tech inspector. However, someone will have to tech my car. I am guaranteed to pass my own car. :)

Doc Dougherty

#30 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:41 PM

I am an outsider here but want to assure you that your rule set looks similar to what is being run in South Bend at Thazer raceway where on any given night anyone who enters has a chance at a podium. It has become a popular class there due to the KISS nature of the rules.

I wanted to mention that JK has a clear and untrimmed version of the DW12 Dallara body that many Thazer racers paint up in their favorite colors (check new JK Indy Car thread here: http://slotblog.net/...ndy-car-bodies/ for pix). Might this be an option if standard open wheel body trim paint and detail rules are applied?

Lastly you may want to mention what JK stock numbers are legal to lessen confusion since there was an older JK RTR/body of the Indy Lola. Also there are (IIRC) 3 rear hub sizes and at least two compounds for each hub size made by JK that fit these cars and would be legal within your rules as currently written. Specifying the rear hub size as on the RTR would limit rear tire choice to the natural and treated rubber compounds only- of course if this is what you would want to do...

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#31 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

MG: your comments are well taken, especially the first paragraph. We wanted to keep the rules very simple and not allow very many modifications. As I stated above in another post, the objective is to create a car class whereby a good driver can come into the slot car shop, buy the car, and be competitive. And, we wanted a car class to attract new drivers into the MySeries races. A car class where all the little tricks that I might do to the car are not allowed, thus keeping the novice driver in the hunt.

Concerning the tires, any JK rear tire is allowed. So you have treated or untreated tires to choose from and 3 or 4 rim sizes.

Doc Dougherty

#32 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

I assume JK wonder rubber is allowed also.
Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯

Preparation leads to separation.

Success is never owned but rented and rent is due everyday.

KELLY RACING 😎

#33 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

Check with Greg. But I am thinking that the answer is yes. We must be able to confirm that its a JK tire.

Doc Dougherty

#34 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

JK, of course, sells a Wonder rubber tire.

He also has (less distinct to the brand) metal rim tires.

You might want to ban them to avoid confusion.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#35 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

I agree Mike. Plastic hubs only. The last "normal maintenance" item says "replace front & rear tires with JK similar tire". The RTR car comes with plastic hub tires, therefore, the metal hubs are illegal. 

And I think that we must enforce the rules in a very strict sense. It is the responsibility of the racer to know the rules and present a legal car to the tech inspector. Nuff said. No one will be able to claim ignorance.  Every racetrack will be given several copies of the rules.

Doc Dougherty

#36 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

This would be a very fun class!! KISS rules and fun handling RTR cars!  Great idea!

• MG Brown likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#37 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

I agree. I am looking forward to this car class.

Doc Dougherty

#38 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,743 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Small note: I just purchased a(nother) JK Dallara DW12 RTR and unlike the others that I had previously purchased, this one has some minor issues. I am sure that these are non-typical of these cars...and may have even been damaged in shipment, so I hesitate to say what the specific problem is.

The problems are nothing that close inspection, adjusting and blueprinting won't cure... but be mindful that these are for all intents and purposes mass produced toys and a little proactive TLC before putting them on the track will likely pay dividends.

Just saying.... K? Have fun MySeries racers!

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#39 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

My black verizon rtr directly from JK at a mere $93.00 performs quite differently from Marcus' built up chassis with his purple painted body.  If you guys think one off the shelf and you're competitive, think again. I'm the new guy...Looks like time to build one up and paint it bright green.  Best sourcing parts available - always, says Cheater - koford axle, parma cut down guide, koford phos/bronze guide spacers, big mama braids, casey's lead wire, one fast H7, cahoza spur, arp angled pinion, fresh cut jk tires - PULLEEEEEZ!  KISS this...plus 5 more things at least. (if anyone knows better quality parts for this car in this rule set - let me know!)

I've looked at 3 different JK rtr out of the box - each body is cut differently, especially under the front and around the front axle and each rear quarter panel (all 6) are different, and the rear cutout beneath the spoilers are all different.  The stock wires are not long enough to re-route into a loop.  This is a mass produced toy.  We are slot racers.  Notice for all the armatures - bring it!

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#40 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

I have made only two changes to my RTR car. I have reinforced the body and I re-routed the lead wire. The car runs very good. BTW: Casey's lead wire is illegal.

Doc Dougherty

#41 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

Indy/F1 cars look great this year (and for the last couple of years). If only more tires came with yellow or white lettering or graphics on the sidewalls.  Firestone, Goodyear, or maybe a chopped up stripe of some kind would add to the look. Twinn-K really would do well in this market. Their 1/24th line of tires was incredible.   

• CoastalAngler1 likes this

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#42 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

What lead wire will be approved as an alternate to the JK wire?  Tried to source some at our local tracks, nope.

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#43 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

Right now, only the same wire is approved. Looks like to me its the clear insulation wire. I think that Bill has this wire in stock, I have bought this lead wire from him in the past. Charlie, I had no problem in looping the stock lead wire thru the holes and back to the motor leads. You can do it.

I don't think that (due to manufacturing differences) that if you had to splice in 1/2" of some other wire that that would be a problem. Its a for fun race this year and is intended to get some of the non-MySeries racers into the series. So lets just go with the rules and see how it plays out. We will work out ant bugs this year.

Doc Dougherty

#44 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

Illegal leadwire? This sounds like the days when a certain Port Angeles, WA trackowner would only let his racers use Parma arm spacers in their rebuildable 16Ds. :wacko2:  At least you didn't get stuck using the Parma red & black junk. :victory:  I'm not knowing what the Florida clear insulation wire is, but TQ once sold clear insulation leadwire. I also recall Champion using clear insulation speaker wire on some of their RTRs.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#45 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

The lead wire that is acceptable is the same lead wire that comes as RTR. With JK production, the RTR production lead wire may change. We don't know that but the rules will maintain stability by allowing any lead wire that has come as RTR. Same thing with the gear ratio. RTR now is 10T on a 37T. If JK changes to an 11 on a 37, we will have the option to change to the newer gear ratio (if you want to).

Doc Dougherty

#46 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

I've yet to see a car not pass tech in MySeries in 5 events this year.  I have seen cars get a one time reprieve...Now I got to source some clear insulation lamp cord - can you say Skycraft?  I can't wait to see everyone changing wires before the race - I'll bring some extra lamp cord.  :crazy:  We can't even run tinned wire :pardon:  

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

#47 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Are you saying that I can ONLY run JK-brand clear leadwire?  No clear TQ lead wire? 

Lead wire might get tricky.  Because ..... I'm not sure JK-brand leadwire is available as an aftermarket part.  I don't think it is, but I could be wrong.  I certainly have been wrong before.

Rollin Isbell

#48 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

If there is a minimun weight, what difference does it make which lead wire that you use?

Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
120 West Crown Pointe Rd, Suite 114
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#49 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

Minimum weight is 101 grams. I don't understand this thing about the lead wire; just run the lead wire that came as RTR. Tell me what is behind the need to change out the lead wire?

Doc Dougherty

#50 CoastalAngler1

CoastalAngler1

Outlaw Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:02 AM

My black verizon rtr weighs 102.6 grams. When did minimum weight come in?  That's for enduro cars, right?  Rules on the fly?

Charlie McCullough

Charlie's Speed Shop

Kelly Racing Wanna Be

Electric Dreams Online Shop